Dog w/ Fractured Pelvis

Madrid

Visit site
My dog got hit by a car and fractured her pelvis. We opted to not do surgery r/t the high cost and are trying rest for 4-6 weeks to see if she will heel on her own. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions?

CAYLA

Visit site
Yep I had a whippet with a fractured pelvis...she was taken to my mams vets to be PTS
frown.gif
at only 18 months old...after being hit by a car out side the race track.....It took along time to heal...she did not have surgery ..it was left to heal naturally...It took around 6 weeks for her to walk again.

She had to be strictly rested...no excersise at all...she was taken out to urinate/pass faeces by aid of a towel...which supported her weight whilst she passed motions.
Although it was a long recovery period....she recovered remarkably well....and made a full and complete recovery.
If the dog is hard to keep rested a crate would be a good option.

CAYLA

Visit site
Forgot to ask...is she able to pass motions without help?my whippet used to have trouble at first and had to have her bladder expressed sometimes.

Madrid

Visit site
Good to get reassurance. I am so upset about the whole ordeal. With concerns to her passing "motions"...I'm not sure. She has peed since the accident but no poop yet, but she also was not eating. Today is the first day I got her to eat, so I will keep an eye on her bowel movements.

Oneofthepack

Visit site
I had a cat who had his pelvis shattered and he healed naturally. He lay on a cushion in my bedroom for 6 weeks being turned every couple of hours and hand fed and was fine. Hope your dog makes a good recovery x

kcgibson

Visit site
animals can recover really well without any surgery (depending on the type of break). As cala said, it can take many weeks and is an option, particularly if money is an issue. I work in a vets and we have had a number of (usually cats) and dogs tht we leave to heal naturally. Your dog will no doubt develop arthritis as a result of the natural healing (more so than if surgery had been performed) but as long as you are aware of that, you can manage it appropriately when problems arise