Dog walking and personal security

Greylegs

Visit site
Chatting to a friend yesterday about dogs - having recently acquired a new one - and she mentioned personal security whilst dog walking. She’s a lady in her late 60s, lives alone and frequently walks her dog in woodland near her home. She told me she carries an attack alarm and some sort of (human) repellant spray in her “dog walking” coat along with the more usual poo bags etc, just to ensure she feels safe (safer) whilst out and about alone. Usually Mr GL comes along on our walks, but I do go out alone on occasion and my friend recommended me to follow suit and “arm” myself with necessary stuff to protect myself against rogues whilst I’m out.

Does anyone else find this necessary or do similar. If so, what do you carry “just in case”?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'm just back from a walk through the park on a Saturday night whilst HHOing, so not the best person to ask :p
A lot of people do express concern for me but I've had a GSD by my side since I could walk and it's never really been an issue for me.
If I had a less physically impressive dog I would consider some sort of deterrent and TBH I have always carried a Leatherman in my handbag!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I never feel unsafe when walking the dogs and I must admit it wouldn't occur to me to walk 'armed' as it were. And there are times when I walk in quite remote areas.

I suspect there's more chance of me getting hit by a bus than attacked.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'm just back from a walk through the park on a Saturday night whilst HHOing, so not the best person to ask :p
A lot of people do express concern for me but I've had a GSD by my side since I could walk and it's never really been an issue for me.
If I had a less physically impressive dog I would consider some sort of deterrent and TBH I have always carried a Leatherman in my handbag!!

I can just imagine fumbling with it and trying to work out which tool would be best to defend myself with and then taking ten minutes to extract the right one :eek:

I have three dogs, one of which is huge and generally soppy as hell, but on the odd occasion that he has felt threatened he has developed a big voice and even bigger hackles.

Many years ago I met Suzy Lamplugh's mother, and she gave out rape alarms - always handy to have something that is loud and scary to hand. I don't think the sprays are legal (not that that would bother me in the slightest if I felt the need to use one).

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have never felt unsafe in my village but after reading a very scary book last week, i chickened out from walking in the fields when it was dark and just walked round the roads and on the edge of the playing field....i am now ok as the book ended well with the baddies in prison and the heroine and more importantly, her dog were safe......its strange how a book can make you feel more vulnerable..

Denbob

Visit site
i have never felt unsafe in my village but after reading a very scary book last week, i chickened out from walking in the fields when it was dark and just walked round the roads and on the edge of the playing field....i am now ok as the book ended well with the baddies in prison and the heroine and more importantly, her dog were safe......its strange how a book can make you feel more vulnerable..

I've been watching Luther and I never ever want to go outside, look under my bed or be alone ever again. Can't read murder mystery novels because they stick with me far too vividly!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
my phone. I walk in the middle of nowhere nut there has been the odd occasion when there's been a man meandering (without a dog, most suspicious!) I get my phone out and talk quite loudly to it. other than that I am not easily spooked and walk in the forest in the dark, twice a day this time of year on my own. There is literally noone about though lol.

BBP

Visit site
I do Israeli Krav Maga (a no holes barred self defence system), feel pretty confident that I could do some damage if I needed to. I’ll also often hold a key between my fingers knuckle duster style if I feel a bit uncomfortable.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
my phone. I walk in the middle of nowhere nut there has been the odd occasion when there's been a man meandering (without a dog, most suspicious!) I get my phone out and talk quite loudly to it. other than that I am not easily spooked and walk in the forest in the dark, twice a day this time of year on my own. There is literally noone about though lol.

There's probably some man writing a post on a forum about the weird woman he sees walking in the woods talking to her imaginary friend :eek::D

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I've been scared of the dark and had an irrational fear of being attacked most of my life, so I'm pretty good at pushing the monsters in my head out these days. In any case, I reckon the Westie would have a crack at taking on pretty much anyone ;)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I must admit it's not something I've ever really thought about, more likely to get attacked in a town than in the country I think. Pretty sure both dogs would go into protection mode, especially the westie, and the collie would back her up!

madamebonnie

Visit site
Depends on area and route. I would happily walk in the countryside where I grew up all night. Most nights I'm at the yard by myself. But wouldn't walk round the parks near my house too late. But would walk down the canal tow path as its a high traffic route.

Lintel

Visit site
This is why I have GSD :)
But it's a good point to make, I never go out on my own without some form of animal but if I did a wee tin of pepper spray would be handy!

Starzaan

Visit site
I take my dog with me when I go dog walking.
He would protect me from anyone or anything that tried to hurt me. Never feel safer than when I’m with my dog.

ETA - Thinking about it though, I live in the Cotswolds. Not sure how many murderers there are lurking in the quiet fields and woods around my house.
Would still feel safe anywhere with my dog though. He’s protected me before and he would do the same again in a heartbeat.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I used to work graveyard shift. One night I was off and decided to walk the dog at ~3 am EST. The local police pulled up and asked me if I was OK. I told them that I had my cell phone (mobile phone) and my GSD and that I was fine. They sort of laughed and drove off.

planete

Visit site
With three dogs, one of them very vocal and handy with her teeth if in doubt, no it has not crossed my mind. i make sure I am always wearing something brightly coloured though so I can be found if something happens to me in the middle of nowhere as I am a bit ancient and cannot take it for granted I have the survival powers of a youngster.

ponyparty

Visit site
The dog is my safety device... He has been known to growl most menacingly at people we pass on walks, for a example (and I'm going to sound like I'm sterotyping here... meh) a group of dodgy looking hooded youths in the park after dark walking towards us. I found it most comforting!
He may only be small but when he growls and barks and flashes his big teeth he looks quite the part, I don't think he'd allow someone to approach me that I wasn't comfortable with.

Other than that I tend not to go walking around in the dark on my own! Sometimes pop to the yard late at night on my own and find it mildly terrifying... but there hasn't been an episode of Luther set at a livery yard yet, so it's not that bad ;) I told OH if there was, I would never go the yard again - he said he was going to contact the scriptwriters to make it happen :eek: anyone would think I spend too much time there..!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I take my dog with me when I go dog walking.
He would protect me from anyone or anything that tried to hurt me. Never feel safer than when I’m with my dog.

ETA - Thinking about it though, I live in the Cotswolds. Not sure how many murderers there are lurking in the quiet fields and woods around my house.
Would still feel safe anywhere with my dog though. He’s protected me before and he would do the same again in a heartbeat.

Isn't Midsummer in the Cotswolds?:eek::D:D

Annette4

Visit site
I don’t feel as safe with the skinny’s as I did with Jack corgi (he would have gone for anyone who tried to hurt me) but I’ve always got my phone and keys. I do tend to go round the streets (well lit) in the dark anyway as I can’t let these two off in the dark (and a lot of the time in the daylight 😂)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I've been watching Luther and I never ever want to go outside, look under my bed or be alone ever again. Can't read murder mystery novels because they stick with me far too vividly!

Or go on a night bus! I never feel nervous walking the GSDs, although did discuss with a friend the other day our stupidity in telling random strangers who asked that our dogs wre friendly. However, after a couple of dog theft incidents not too far away, both recovered luckily, I am a bit more cautious walking the heeler. I carry a flexilead for use away from the roads and I have worked out that the handle could be a useful knuckle duster should the need arise.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
With three dogs, one of them very vocal and handy with her teeth if in doubt, no it has not crossed my mind. i make sure I am always wearing something brightly coloured though so I can be found if something happens to me in the middle of nowhere as I am a bit ancient and cannot take it for granted I have the survival powers of a youngster.

yes, I always have something reflective and hi viz on somewhere.