Dog walking business

JulesRules

Visit site
Hi everyone.

I've left my job and I'm starting up a dog walking business.

It's very scary!!

Anyway, can those of you who have used dog walkers, or considered it please tell me what would attract you to a dog walker and what would put you off?

Thanks and chocolate cookies for anyone who gives me help and advise

JulesRules

Visit site
Just to clarify I am fully insured for anything that happens to dogs in my care, public liability, key holding etc.

I plan on getting a CRB ( or whatever it's called now) and doing an animal first aid course just as soon as I'm confident I can make a go of it (and not be a wimp and go back to the rat race)

I'm currently walking dogs directly from home as I can only transport one (why did I buy a Fiat 500 6 months ago) but again as soon as I have a few more customers I'm planning on getting a suitable vehicle.

I have a very basic website (work in progress), facebook page and email all set up.

Starzaan

Visit site
I adore my dog walker. She's wonderful.

Things I love about her - she sends me photos of my boy (used to be both my boys, sadly I lost one last year) whilst out walking. She dries my boy off and makes sure his feet are clean before he goes back into the main house. There are days when I can pay a little extra and she'll keep him all day, taking him on all the walks she does. That is a HUGE help. I trust her completely.

Good luck!!!

Cherryblossom

Visit site
Ours wears a Fitbit (the walker, not the dog!) and every evening we get emailed a GPS of where they walked. It doesn't take them much time to send out, and it means you know for sure that your dog is getting the full hour! It also helps us plan where we walk in the evening so that he's getting good variety.

Good luck!

TGM

Visit site
One thing that I would look for in a dog walker is clarification of the maximum number of dogs walked at one time. We have a dog walking business near us that sometimes takes up to 10 dogs out at a time - I don't believe that one person can walk that number on their own safely.

JulesRules

Visit site
Thanks guys. The GPS tracker is a great idea and really easy to do so thanks for that.

On my website and flyer I have made it clear that there will never be more than 4 dogs on a group walk. That is definitely something that put me off dog walkers in the past. I also offer private walks at a higher rate.

Thanks for the input so far

Sandstone1

Visit site
How about vists for toilet breaks for dogs whose owners work but don't want walks. You could charge by 1/2 hour to let in garden and have a play with the dog. Check water etc.

Kaylum

Visit site
Yes and dogs that might want to stay the odd night in their own house whilst owner is away for the night let them out before bed and get them up and fed in the morning this can work well in emergencies for the client or if they need to stay somewhere overnight but can't take the dog.

maxapple

Visit site
We have two dog walkers - one local who does every day and another one a bit further away for emergencies and holidays!

Our holiday lady walks in groups of 6 plus but it works fine. Most are off the lead and they all have amazing fun hoolying around together. Mine come home tired out. She puts photos on Facebook daily which is great. They also live as part of the family when they sleep over - I love pics of my two snuggled up on the sofa with her.

My daily walker is a bit older and less media savvy so I just get texts. But he is great and will always call or text if he had noticed any problems (ikky tummies, dogs being a bit quiet etc). Once my silly JRT ran into a tree chasing a ball so he took her to the vets to be checked out! He also cleans fox poo off after walks and has them for sleep overs when needed. He takes them to different places every day too.