Dog walking is dangerous!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So nice to hear you good updates PaS. I think you have been amazing and so patient and stoic.

Thank you, I certainly wouldn't have been so patient at the beginning, if it hadn't been for all the support from members of HHO, who helped to pass the time while I was in hospital, especially Cinnamontoast who put the photos on for me, and who have given me lots of help throughout, looking for suitable shoes and trousers and offering other advice, along the way. When I looked back at the photos, I had forgotten just how bad the leg looked in the first 2 weeks.

I also realised that I have no memory of having the plaster cast put on, only to have it taken off again, although reading my post about it, it looks as if I was conscious throughout. I took part in a survey about memory of events around accidents that did not necessarily involve head injury, which was interesting.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Hurrah!

I have been discharged from the Orthopaedics dept. today:). the Frame Nurse rang this morning and told me that the x-rays that I had done last week showed that my bones had healed well. Then I had an in-person assessment with the physiotherapist, who was also quite impressed with the range of movement that I have. I have some exercises to do at home and an appointment in the physio gym in a couple of weeks' time.

Does anyone know anything about Reiki for bones? I once had Reiki by accident on the other ankle which has a metal plate in and it definitely helped the swelling. I should have continued with that, really. I am wondering if Reiki would help osteoporosis, as well as helping soft tissues to recover.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Are you going to take anything to help? My mum was diagnosed with osteoporosis (lots older than you)and spent the morning having x rays at the weekend, she has pain walking, turns out it’s hip arthritis.?

GSD Woman

Visit site
Cinnamontoast, Sorry about your mum. Has the doctor sent her info for physical therapy? I think it is physio over there. In many cases building the muscles around the arthritic join can help keep mobility and make a break less traumatic. There are also some medications that will help build up some bone and/or lessen the bone loss. For short term relief a corticoid steroid injection may help.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Are you going to take anything to help? My mum was diagnosed with osteoporosis (lots older than you)and spent the morning having x rays at the weekend, she has pain walking, turns out it’s hip arthritis.?

TBH, except that I was suspicious after 3 breaks, I can hardly believe the diagnosis, I have spend most of my life on my feet! I can only think that it is something to do with the milk allergy. I am now taking calcium and VitD supplements and have been prescribed alendronic acid, although I really need to discuss it in more detail with GP.
I have a friend with hip arthritis who has found phsyio exercises helpful, while she waits for a replacement. I hope your mum gets her pain under control, ct.

Last edited:

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Lovely to read that you've been discharged Pearlsasinger. Finally!

I don't know that much about Reiki, but from what I can recall, I can't imagine it would do any harm in giving it a try. If you do it, I hope it makes you feel helped by it this time, too.

My mum have been found to have osteoporosis, and is taking pills for it. We watched a Swedish science program only a few days ago, where they showed a British program about osteoporosis. They concluded that some activities, like for example bicycling, can be very good exercises for keeping our bodies otherwise in a good condition, but they still don't necessarily also have to be good at helping our bones stay strong, and healthy.

They basically recommended doing a bit of daily jumping up and down, on the spot. Which I've started doing, but my mum who really is the one of us who needs it the most, feels too unsteady to try it. I've been trying to give her suggestions for ways she could start with trying to do it, e.g. different steady things in the house she could hold on to, and trying either jumping on one leg at a time or both, whatever she feels safer with, and who knows, maybe I'll get her to give it a try one day.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it helps.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Lovely to read that you've been discharged Pearlsasinger. Finally!

I don't know that much about Reiki, but from what I can recall, I can't imagine it would do any harm in giving it a try. If you do it, I hope it makes you feel helped by it this time, too.

My mum have been found to have osteoporosis, and is taking pills for it. We watched a Swedish science program only a few days ago, where they showed a British program about osteoporosis. They concluded that some activities, like for example bicycling, can be very good exercises for keeping our bodies otherwise in a good condition, but they still don't necessarily also have to be good at helping our bones stay strong, and healthy.

They basically recommended doing a bit of daily jumping up and down, on the spot. Which I've started doing, but my mum who really is the one of us who needs it the most, feels too unsteady to try it. I've been trying to give her suggestions for ways she could start with trying to do it, e.g. different steady things in the house she could hold on to, and trying either jumping on one leg at a time or both, whatever she feels safer with, and who knows, maybe I'll get her to give it a try one day.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it helps.

Thank you, I might have to take up skipping. I hope your mum finds something that she is comfortable with. Currently I have some physio exercises to stretch the soft tissues on my leg/foot that were affected by lack of movement because of the frame/boot and have been advised to hold onto furniture while doing them.

misst

Visit site
That is amazing news :). I know nothing about Reki except that I was totally sceptical (coming from traditional medicine/nursing background). I had an incredibly painful thumb a few years ago - a good friend who is a Reki practitioner did me some Reki on it. I was totally "well ok if you must" - the pain went almost immediately and never came back. I have no explanation for this at all but as others have said it cannot do any harm and from my limited experience it works!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well that's it, it's over! 9 months from start to finish and today I have been discharged from physio. Actually I have an open appt for the next 6 weeks, which seems to be standard but I am walking normally now.
I think 2 days walking round the Great Yorkshire Show helped considerably. I took a walking stick with me on both days and wonder if I got rid of the support too soon because I walked over 10,000 steps on each day with the stick and everything just seemed to fall back into place, so if I had to do it all again (Heaven forbid) I think I would keep using a crutch/stick further into the recovery period.
I have bought several pairs of trainers, some with heels and platform soles and am saving a pair of sparkly black ones to go with my outfit for a family wedding in September - they go well with my hat!;):D

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Well that's it, it's over! 9 months from start to finish and today I have been discharged from physio. Actually I have an open appt for the next 6 weeks, which seems to be standard but I am walking normally now.
I think 2 days walking round the Great Yorkshire Show helped considerably. I took a walking stick with me on both days and wonder if I got rid of the support too soon because I walked over 10,000 steps on each day with the stick and everything just seemed to fall back into place, so if I had to do it all again (Heaven forbid) I think I would keep using a crutch/stick further into the recovery period.
I have bought several pairs of trainers, some with heels and platform soles and am saving a pair of sparkly black ones to go with my outfit for a family wedding in September - they go well with my hat!;):D

Great news. It was a long road.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Wow, amazing! It’s been a long old road. I’m a bit gobsmacked you did the Yorkshire show, I did the Game fair the year after mine and by the end, I didn’t think I’d make it back to the car park! ?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Woohoo, congratulations!

k010.gif

Hope you're soon back up on a horseback again.

View

Visit site
It's a great feeling getting that final discharge -but considering that you did a real job of it, 9 months is good going and shows your determination to get there.

I agree about getting back on a steady mount - I still find that some days I am better off wiithout stirrups. Borrow as many different pairs as you can and find out what is best for you.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Looking forward to hearing that you're back on a horse PaS. 9 months is a long break, no pun intended, I can imagine the combination of anticipation and trepidation.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I did a couple of short sessions on a mechanical horse before getting back on.
Worth considering if you have one not too far away x

We do have one about 30 mins away. I have had sessions with a physio on it in the past. I must get in touch with them and try to book a few sessions. I have an i-joy rider, which is behind a load of 'stuff' in a spare stable. I think that is probably the best place to start, if I can face digging it out.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Wow, amazing! It’s been a long old road. I’m a bit gobsmacked you did the Yorkshire show, I did the Game fair the year after mine and by the end, I didn’t think I’d make it back to the car park! ?

I went to GYS on crutches the year I broke the other leg. I had to buy a pair of gloves during the day because I was getting blisters on my hands - and there was no way that I could do a 2nd day! I was determined to make the most of my time off school though!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
OMG I have only just found and read this whole thread!! :eek: what an ordeal!

So glad you're recovered and discharged PaS.

Thank you!

GSDW, there are nettles growing outside the door and furniture from my late parents' house in front of the i-joy rider. I shall have to get in there and investigate the best way to get it out.