Dog walking

JumpingJacks

Visit site
Hi I have come on here for some advice. I am currently thinking about a different career path and I am exploring setting up a dog walking business at the moment.

I would love to hear from anyone who has an established business/ people who often use these services or anyone who can help me. I'm looking to find out how I will go about building a name for myself and how other people have done it . I understand that I will have to be insured etc .

Visit site
I use a dog walking/sitting service. I found them through the net, and also from word of mouth from fellow dog owners.
There is insurance involved, and if you take dogs in I think you have to be council registered ? My sitters got cards printed and put them up in pet shops, vets etc. They are so busy I have to book my dog in for his holidays about 6 months in advance !

gunnergundog

Visit site
How old are you? What qualifications do you have in the area of dog training or dog behaviour? Do you have a canine first aid qualification? Whereabouts do you intend to exercise the dogs if you are going to allow free running - is it securely fenced? Do you have suitable insured transport to get you and the dogs there? How are you going to disinfect/clean the transport cages after one dog before you put another in? What is the maximum number of dogs allowed under your local Dog Control Orders for any one person to exercise at a time? How many times will you walk the dog with the owner present before going solo? Do you mix dogs from multiple owners?

The above are just some of the questions that I would be asking a walker if I were to use one and the answers would colour my judgement as to whether I deemed them suitable or not to walk any of my dogs.

I would want you to be CRB checked if I am giving you a key to my property; you would build a name by always being punctual, doing what I asked/paid for (ie if I pay for 30mins walk for my dog on his own, that is what I want! Most people have friends around and about and it is amazing how word gets back......'ooo I saw fido out with someone else yesterday and SIX other dogs! He wasn't half barking mad and he's normally soooo quiet with you.') You would be observant and report back if one of my dogs had the squits for instance or seemed off-colour in any way shape or form.

Finally, my dogs would tell me whether you were worth it by their reaction to you when you came to the house which I would see on my CCTV! :)

Lots to think about, but good luck!

shoeey

Visit site
I pay a dog walker to come each day and my dog adores her. One thing I love is that she leaves me a note on a proper headed card each day saying when she arrived and left, where they walked and a little fun thing like "Fido made friends with a little poodle today and they had great fun running round in the park". It seems a bit silly but little things like that really add value.

Suzie86

Visit site
What is the maximum number of dogs allowed under your local Dog Control Orders for any one person to exercise at a time? !

Sorry to a little off topic but how do you find this out?

I had an argument with a woman this morning walking loads of dogs off the lead who she had absolutely zero control of and basically flattened my dogs (and she was incredibly rude as well) so I would be interested to find out if she's actually breaking any rules!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Check with your local council; you may find the info on their website or you may need to call someone. In Leeds it's a max of four; elsewhere I know of places where up to six is legal.

JumpingJacks

Visit site
thank you for all your replies.Like I said its nothing but an idea at the moment . I have 5 working dogs myself and looking into courses I can go on . I am already crb checked through the line of work I am in at the moment. It just seems my ideal job being able to fit it around my lifestyle and something that I would really love to do . The few people I have spoken too about it have mentioned about how their dig walker is always busy. I suppose it would take some time to build up a good reputation and clients .