Dog watching TV: recognising other dogs?

Littlelegs

Visit site
I had a terrier that used to watch tv a lot, used to go mad at dogs & cats, even sat still. Also recognized the music/ theme tune to her favourite ads/programs. Would sit & watch a disney film from start to finish.

Kitty B

Visit site
Aw! Loki watches TV, too, but Cid isn't interested. Other dogs on TV definitely get Loki's attention, especially if they are barking.

quirky

Visit site
My mother's standard schnauzer launches herself at any animals on the screen, also balls.

Drives my Dad nuts as he can't watch many sports in peace :eek:!

Copperpot

Visit site
My JR loves tv. He goes mad if a cat/rabbit/squirrel etc comes on. Stands on his back legs to get a closer look. He also barks at other dogs on tv. I put Animal Planet on just for him :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Zak is obsessed with football, even stared at an empty pitch this week on telly, weirdo! He has also recently discovered golf. :cool:

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Our Goldie LOVES other dogs/animals on TV, even adverts for Pedigree etc.
We put planets funniest animals on just for her :) she gets so excited bless her.
K x

frankie7

Visit site
My Inuit seems to like wolves and huskys. She enjoyed snow dogs this afternoon. The jrt is not bothered by it. He is too busy looking for beams of light to chase!!

Ibblebibble

Visit site
yep heres my Bud watching crufts a few years back:D
2005_01010003.jpg

he seems to react mostly to other dogs on TV while the jrt reacts to anything that moves!! oh and doorbells on the tv send him nuts:rolleyes:

PucciNPoni

Visit site
~With Merlin, there was definitely a progression. First he noticed dogs barking - so it was a sound thing. Then he realised that the sound was coming from the "window" of the TV so he'd go up and sniff at it. Soon he would recognise the dogs on TV and get excited - now it's any type of animal that does it - even cartoon ones! I sometimes sit with him on the sofa and he will watch what I'm doing on the laptop - and he would recognise (or so it would seem) animal still photos. I think it has to do with the eyes on the stills - if he could see their eyes he would get more excited than if it was a side on where the eyes were obscurred. Interestingly, he did not seem to recognise himself or his house mates.

Now he's like a seasoned Television watching pro - he still gets really excited at the telly when there are dogs or other animals on the box - but I will sometimes catch him watching just whatever film is on - and watch it for AGES as if he's following the story (which I know can't be the case, but he is pretty convincing).

Copperpot

Visit site
My Dad cannot watch any programmes on wolves etc as his Malamute goes mad. Howls at the tv constantly. We put Snow Dogs on one Christmas but had to turn it off :)

Vizslak

Visit site
My male parson is a very avid tv watcher and also recognises dogs and animals in all sorts of cartoon form, some that are even barely recognisable as such to me! He has his own collection of childrens films, he likes disney pixar stuff even without animals in! Bolt is a favourite here too, he looks quite like Milo!

Venevidivici

Visit site
When i was a kid,'One Man and His Dog' was our old dog's fave programme of all time. She'd go behind the tv looking for sheep &collies;)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Pookie is another fan of Bolt! He has watched it through three times now!

I think it's hilarious that they recognise cartoon dogs!

OP,I love the vast collection of tennis balls in your lounge;)

Essential to focus Zak away from animals on TV, throw a ball, training thing we use to distract him from other dogs ;)

My male parson is a very avid tv watcher and also recognises dogs and animals in all sorts of cartoon form, some that are even barely recognisable as such to me! He has his own collection of childrens films, he likes disney pixar stuff even without animals in! Bolt is a favourite here too, he looks quite like Milo!

Vizzy, your dog has a collection of films?! Shall we start a list of suitable films? I know you can get DVDs of interesting stuff for the dog, but any animal programme will do, really!

Native Speaker

Visit site
Any wildlife programme will capture Bear The Border's attention. His particular favourite is one called Wolf, Bär & Co., which covers the daily comings and goings in a wildfe park up near the Lüneberg Heide.

The bears don't interest him so much :)rolleyes:), but he's a big fan of Noran, the artic wolf, and the racoons. Even the birds of prey will have him sitting in front of the telly, glued, for the duration! He'll get square eyes, I'm sure! :eek:

The closing music of the 6.30 ITN evening news is always eagerly awaited - it's his cue for dinner ..............;) But doorbells have no effect on him whatsoever. Unlike Tugg, his predecessor. He's go ballastic at a TV doorbell, and we'd all have to shout in unison 'It's on the telly!' That, however, was the only interaction he had with the TV - never ever 'watched' it, as Bear does. :D

NeverSayNever

Visit site

Taffyhorse

Visit site
My Collie is an avid tv watcher too. He's not fussy - will happily watch Eastenders, Holby etc. Spent last night curled up on the sofa with friends daughter watching Harry Potter and now watching the Sunday morning food programme thingy. His fav programmes are definitely anything with animals or weirdly cookery programmes - he tries to jump up and lick the screen!!

He'll also 'ask' for the tv to be turned on too. When our old tv blew up just before xmas I'm not sure who was more peed off - me, the OH or the dog!!

Never realised we had so many tv watching dogs among us :)

Vizslak

Visit site
Yes he does...just about every disney pixar film ever made, animals or no animals, he actually loves 'cars' and 'the incredibles' and neither of them have animals.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Yes he does...just about every disney pixar film ever made, animals or no animals, he actually loves 'cars' and 'the incredibles' and neither of them have animals.

I might try him with Monster inc or something later!

Mac (far left of group pic in my sig) .... it could only be Mac lol:rolleyes::D - he is our only house dog although the others do come in from time to time.

Is Star an outdoor dog, too?

dingle12

Visit site
My terrier watches everything to do with animals loves animals do the funniest things in fact ive just turned the volume up to watch your video and he has just shot to my knee and watch your video.

Gizmos mum is the same our tv is on the wall and she sits smack in the middle of our rug with her head up high to watch ( would be easier for her if she just sat on the sofa :) )