Dog weeing at night...

emma21

Visit site
Bruno the 9 month old Bracco Italiano has started needing to wee at night. He wakes me up to be let out which is good but ifs rather he just slept!
He drinks a lot but I was told before I got him that braccos will and they are aquaholics so will drink silly amounts. But he's only just started doing this (drinking a lot and weeing )and his wees are 5 mins long and flood the garden!! It's not every night either... Any ideas?

kerenza

Visit site
I think if the drinking a lot and weeing a lot is a new thing (despite previous advice that it's something the breed does) I'd be worried about a urinary infection or something similar. Maybe get him checked by the vet?

fatpony

Visit site
Dont restrict his water before you get him checked out by a vet.
If he is drinking and weeing larger volumes then either he is drinking more (as has been mentioned for the breed) and weeing more to get rid of excess or more worrying he is weeing more due to kidney/bladder/hormone problems and is drinking more to compensate for this problem - if you restrict his water in this case then he will become dehydrated. Not to mention that access to water is one of the five freedoms and should never be restricted unless for the health of the animal.
Take him to the vets to be checked over and take a urine sample with you. They will check it for glucose (diabetes), protein and blood (infection) and check the concentration (low concentration can mean renal failure, diabetes insipidus, cushings etc) They might well check his prostate or do a blood sample.
Also measure how much he actually is drinking over a 24 hour period - although it is an increase it might still be in the normal limits.
If urine is fine and drinking is in normal limits then could just be behavioural i.e. need to reinforce house training.

twiglet84

Visit site
Definately do not restrict its water intake!! Could be a urinary tract infection. Try catch a sample and get it to your vet. xxx

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Agree check out a UTI first. I do actually reduce, but not restrict, the amount of water available at night (there is water in his bowl but not overflowing/full to the top).

emma21

Visit site
Ok will easily get a sample as he wees for minutes! He's absolutely fine in himself though still runnin round like a loony etc. but will sort out a vets visit then! X

Hanzybaby01

Visit site
Iv been having this problem with my 18 months old spaniel.

He had been toilet trained and used to go in the garden whenever he needed to go. He used to go all night without going and hold it until about 7am when one of us gets up. But then we had his bits off and since then he has peed 1-2 times during the night and we couldnt understand it. He also started to drink a fair bit of water.

About 2 weeks ago we took him to the vets to get it checked as it was very unlike him, he seemed to have gone backwards with regards to his toilet habbits. They took bloods and it came back saying his white blood cell count was quite high, indicating an infection somewhere. So he went on a 10 day course of antibiotics. He went back the other day and they took another blood test and the white blood cell count had come down again which was fine. But then they stuck a big needles straight into his bladder (poor little mite!) and we are waiting for the results of this. So yet to find a answer.

emma21

Visit site
Hanzybaby01 - sounds very like Bruno but he's not been castrated. Does your boy look in pain or anything? Because I've been googling urinary tract infections and they all say pain when weeing but Bruno isn't at all... Hope you find out about your boy soon!

Hanzybaby01

Visit site
Hanzybaby01 - sounds very like Bruno but he's not been castrated. Does your boy look in pain or anything? Because I've been googling urinary tract infections and they all say pain when weeing but Bruno isn't at all... Hope you find out about your boy soon!

No he doesn't seem in any pain or distress at all. All very well in himself, just he can't seem to hold his wee of a night, yet before the op he was house trained.

Just a question now of waiting for the results from the bladder sample to see if there's anything wrong there. If still nothing they want to do an X-ray to see if there is anything else in him causing problems.:(