Dog whistles!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Great to have a whistle for your dog that no human ear can hear. However my horse most certainly can hear it!

Why do they have to blow them incessantly?

Spudlet

Visit site
OK, next time I encounter a horse I won't whistle my dog to heel, and will just let him leap all over them instead:rolleyes:

Dry Rot

Visit site
There was a lovely cartoon about that.

Two dogs talking to each other. One says to the other, "I'll have to go. I'd hate him to realise I can't hear it either!"

Can't help with the OP's question though.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Great to have a whistle for your dog that no human ear can hear. However my horse most certainly can hear it!

Why do they have to blow them incessantly?

:eek: I can hear them! :eek:

I also know people who blow them, get no reaction so blow again harder, and harder and harder.............Dog eventually comes back but it has feck all to do with the whistle blowing as the dog has no idea what it means!

Now I find the noise irritating and I ONLY hear it as a very faint high pitch whistle, but it clearly is upsetting to horses (have witnessed a brat with one in a barn full of stables, they were all getting increasingly upset, till I requested said brat stopped blowing it before I inserted it somewhere.......:D).

So I guess what the OP is getting at is why keep blowing a dog whistle if the dog is not responding to it! Bit like the owners that scream fido's name louder and louder as it fecks off it the opposite direction.....POINTLESS!

111ex111

Visit site
:eek: I can hear them! :eek:

I also know people who blow them, get no reaction so blow again harder, and harder and harder.............Dog eventually comes back but it has feck all to do with the whistle blowing as the dog has no idea what it means!

Now I find the noise irritating and I ONLY hear it as a very faint high pitch whistle, but it clearly is upsetting to horses (have witnessed a brat with one in a barn full of stables, they were all getting increasingly upset, till I requested said brat stopped blowing it before I inserted it somewhere.......:D).

So I guess what the OP is getting at is why keep blowing a dog whistle if the dog is not responding to it! Bit like the owners that scream fido's name louder and louder as it fecks off it the opposite direction.....POINTLESS!

Maybe because they are training their dog? they have to blow the whistle until dog comes back, then reward. eventually dog will understand whistle=treat.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Maybe because they are training their dog? they have to blow the whistle until dog comes back, then reward. eventually dog will understand whistle=treat.

Nope they got the whistle when their constant yelling didn't work (made them hoarse)!!:rolleyes: Why they thought the whistle would be any different (without any training is beyond me).:confused:

Littlelegs

Visit site
Exactly spudlet. Although no doubt someone will be along shortly to say if all dogs were walked on leads it wouldn't be an issue. And not just on leads, but only in places they & their horse don't go. Infact, the latter doesn't just apply to dogs, ban everything & everyone incase they frighten someones neddy.