dog will swollen belly and excessive thirst

fankino04

Visit site
So OH borrowed my car today and my keys are on car keys, he gives me his back door key this morning as probably wont be back till late, so I get home and cant get in as he has left his other keys in the lock in the inside! Call him and he says he is an hour away. I go to local coffee shop to do some work on laptop while I wait and about an hour later get a call that he is pulling up at home so I finish up and go home. Walk into a destroyed cat flap, lots of pee and poop on the floor and to round it off the dogs have got into their food (dry food) and it's all over the floor. OH has put dogs out in garden in the wet while he cleans up but when we let them in the girl just wont stop drinking (about 4litres) and now her belly is seriously swollen, when she hoes out she keeps digging which she never does. She keeps pacing and asking to go out but then just digs. She looks bright and happy though so not sure if I should be worried.

MissTyc

Visit site
A quick Google reveals digging to be a common sign of gut discomfort in dogs. Given the binge on dog food + water and the swollen stomach, I think I would be one for the night vet. It may be an over reaction and she may well sleep it off, but I personally wouldn't risk it in case of bloat, colitis, etc ...

deb_l222

Visit site
If she's already had a drink then you need to speak to a vet ASAP.

My next door neighbour once left my garage door open and two of my dogs helped themselves to a fair bit of dry food. Advice from my vet: do not let them drink ANYTHING at all for at least 12 hours or food will swell to ridiculous levels and they will be seriously ill.

Clyde looked like he had a belly full of puppies and it took at least 3 days for him to return to normal (scary stuff).

fankino04

Visit site
Just got back from dropping her at the vets, they are hoping they can make her vomit but if not they will need to operate and they say even if they can make her sick she will be spending the night on a drip. Fingers and toes crossed for a phone call with good news soon.

fankino04

Visit site
Vet has just called and he has got her to vomit but not as much as he would like so he os hopeful she will continue vomiting and shift it that way but still cant say for definate that she wont need surgery but signs so far are promising.

fankino04

Visit site
After a pretty sleepless night vet has just called to say I can go and pick Bug up, she has been sick more and got enough out of her stomach that her gut has got it moving the other way too so he is happy, god knows what the bill will be when I get there though. Thanks to all for the advice x

fankino04

Visit site
Well shes home now and making me paranoid, still wanting to drink lots, have taken water away and will give back in small doses, still panting and pacing but she does this when she thinks its tea time too! She did leave a lot of mess on the vets floor so its definitely moving through.
Maesfen its not a spare set of keys I need its a non idiot boyfriend who doesn't leave the other spare keys in the lock so mine dont work.

fankino04

Visit site
Been watching her all day and she finally seemed to settle at about 3 this afternoon and is now quite lazy and sleepy and although her gut is still making noises she hasn't passed anything since she had a rather large accident at the vets at 9.30 this morning.

fankino04

Visit site
Never had any problems getting tesco to pay out for either dogs but the premiums went up so much I have changed so if nothing else this will give me a chance to try the new one out on a £200 bill rather than a £2000 bill 😂