Dog with fur loss on upper front legs

Birker2020

Visit site
Please no criticism, dog not in pain and we are monitoring.

Our 8 yr old Beagle has developed sore upper front legs.

We first noticed last Thursday. She's with my partner most of the day and he's not noticed her licking the area although I've noticed in the evening when she lies on the bed she will have the odd lick or bite, like her upper and bottom teeth snapping up and down, if that makes sense.

But otherwise doesn't seem in the slightest bothered. Still eating, playing with toys, running, etc

She's not effected anywhere else. We've been treating with a bit of savlon as the skin isn't broken.

Any ideas what it could be? Thanks.

Equi

Visit site
My first thought is behavioural also. My dog had a sore on her paw from over licking but I never did find out what the cause of the behaviour was. She stopped eventually and it went away but I can’t pinpoint anything I actually did (this was about 15 years ago..)

Sandstone1

Visit site
Is her flea treatment up to date? Does she have any contact with foxes etc? Possibly demodectic mange? It could be behavioural but it would be worth getting her checked out by a vet. In the meantime I would use something more soothing than Savlon. Maybe sudocreme but when you put it on give her something to distract her like a filled kong or bone just so she does not lick it straight off.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I don't think that Sudocrem or nappy creams containing zinc oxide would be a good choice to use for a dog who will lick it off. Ingestion could result in zinc toxicosis.
Which is why I suggested distracting the dog from licking it off. sudocreme is used often to soothe mild skin irritations and is advised by my vet. If you give something for the dog to chew etc it will distract it from licking it. You could use something like Isaderm but you would need to get that from the vet. Even then you need the dog not to lick it straight off. Best thing to do is see the vet but in short term sudocreme could help providing its not licked straight off of course.

Clodagh

Visit site
Our old girl licks and bites her legs if her arthritis is bad if her meds need adjusting or if she has done too much. I assume it’s like us rubbing an ache. She doesn’t ever look lame, it’s her first indicator that something is sore.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Which is why I suggested distracting the dog from licking it off. sudocreme is used often to soothe mild skin irritations and is advised by my vet. If you give something for the dog to chew etc it will distract it from licking it. You could use something like Isaderm but you would need to get that from the vet. Even then you need the dog not to lick it straight off. Best thing to do is see the vet but in short term sudocreme could help providing its not licked straight off of course.

I think your suggestion of a visit to the vets is the best idea :).

For information for those reading this who may wish to use zinc oxide cream without the advice of their vet:

"A one-time ingestion of zinc oxide cream typically only causes stomach upset. However, repeated ingestion of these ointments over days to weeks can cause poisoning in highly concentrated products.

Treatment will depend upon the severity of the pets’ signs. Anti-nausea medications, antacids, anti-diarrheal medications, and fluid under the skin may be all that is needed for pets that ingest a single dose of zinc ointment. Hospitalized care is needed for more severe poisonings. Intravenous fluids, blood transfusions, and medications to bind and remove the zinc from the body (chelation) are possible treatments.

The outcome depends on many factors including the type of zinc and amount ingested, time to treatment, and severity of the pets’ signs. With early treatment, pets are less likely to develop long term effects. Most pets that ingest zinc ointment will recover fully with appropriate supportive care."

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/zinc-poisoning-toxicity-in-pets

meleeka

Visit site
I think your suggestion of a visit to the vets is the best idea :).

For information for those reading this who may wish to use zinc oxide cream without the advice of their vet:

"A one-time ingestion of zinc oxide cream typically only causes stomach upset. However, repeated ingestion of these ointments over days to weeks can cause poisoning in highly concentrated products.

Treatment will depend upon the severity of the pets’ signs. Anti-nausea medications, antacids, anti-diarrheal medications, and fluid under the skin may be all that is needed for pets that ingest a single dose of zinc ointment. Hospitalized care is needed for more severe poisonings. Intravenous fluids, blood transfusions, and medications to bind and remove the zinc from the body (chelation) are possible treatments.

The outcome depends on many factors including the type of zinc and amount ingested, time to treatment, and severity of the pets’ signs. With early treatment, pets are less likely to develop long term effects. Most pets that ingest zinc ointment will recover fully with appropriate supportive care."

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/zinc-poisoning-toxicity-in-pets
My dog also thinks Sudocrem is the tastiest thing ever, so not something I’d ever use on her.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Thats why you dont let them lick it off;) By the way Savlon is not good for animals and is toxic to cats.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine will lick his paws, it is likely due to an issue in his digestive system, apparently. We avoid wheat products. He is also on some bite sized chews called Doctor's allergy aid, they seem to work.