Doggie Dreams - Does your dog have bad dreams

BBH

Visit site
and start wimpering in their sleep.

Bulldog boy has never done this but bullmastiff girl does and quite frequently.

Is it coincidence she is a rescue dog or just fluke, are they remembering bad circumstances do you think ? Maybe they don't have long term memory I don't know.

Anyone else's dog have dreams.

MardyMare

Visit site
Both of mine do too :) The female flicks her feet and her eyes roll but the JRT actually growls and shakes and the other night I had to wake him up as he was worrying me making so much noise - seemed like a nightmare poor thing. He just turns over and goes back to sleep. :)

Interesting you mention the rescue thing but I cant comment as both of mine were rescued! The JRT was tied outside and had to fend off other loose dogs and was attacked more than once - perhaps that is what he dreams of?

Vizslak

Visit site
Interesting theory! Thinking about it the only one of mine that whimpers and whines in their sleep is my rescue! The others dream but appear to be dreaming of altogether nicer things, sometimes letting out little barks or excited sounding yaps. Interesting. Would love it if they could tell us what they dreamed of! I think rabbit chasing is a popular dream amongst all of them! :D

BigRed

Visit site
When my dogs wimpering and twitch in their sleep I don't assume they are having a bad dream, I suspect it is an exciting dream where they are chasing something.

Vizslak

Visit site
When my dogs wimpering and twitch in their sleep I don't assume they are having a bad dream, I suspect it is an exciting dream where they are chasing something.

Yes all mine do this but my lurcher definately does whimper and whine in a more distressing way sometimes, sometimes I will gently wake her as it seems very intense, hard to describe. She definately has excited chasing dreams too but the noises she makes are very different to when she appears to be having a more unpleasant dream.

BBH

Visit site
My girl sounds more distressed than excited, she begins by twitching and leg shaking or kicking out and then the whimpering.

I do wake her up incase it it some distressing memory coming back.

EAST KENT

Visit site
.All my dogs have dreams,and even new borns do as well..whatever about?Sucking I suppose.Lucy,my little council tip rescue has dreams ..I do so hope it is`nt about her bad days,hopefully not ..she dreams much more after we`ve had visitors..who she thinks come to see her of course.

JoG

Visit site
Our spangles (both rescued) have dreams which do appear to be sometimes good or bad.

Good ones usually involve their paws running and their noses twitching or in Archie's case he starts humping in his sleep :rolleyes: the bad ones seem to involve growling and whimpering and in these ones i tend to just start talking to them and they calm down

k9h

Visit site
All 3 of mine dream & very loudly!

Non a rescues (though maybe they dream of being resced?)!

All have the bad rabbit chasing dream where the legs are going & whimpering.

Though Quail has had a few dreams where she has actually cried out!

I dont bother to wake her though just et her get on with! Mean Mummy!

They all growl & quiver their lips in them too!

Most entertaining!

Fazzie

Visit site
Both my dogs are rescues and they both 'run' in there sleep and do these little mini barks things but my border collie is the funniest he does this weird nose, the only way to describe is , is like a laughing hyiena!!! it gets quite loud as well!!! I do wake him up though cos I worry its bad dreams!! The GSD x Bull Mastiff wags her tail like mad in her sleep and snores sooooooooooooo loud!!!!!

prosefullstop

Visit site

Stella and Prince's dream state is peppered with lots of little woofs and plenty of paw-flexing and twitching; I assume they have a chipmunk or a tennis ball in their sights.

Once Stella came to with a prolonged wolfish howl, the likes of which she has never again repeated!

gable

Visit site
My BC dreams most nights - she lets out little barks and whimpers and sort of runs with her feet
Puppy Boo dreams and suckles in her sleep - uber cute

Spudlet

Visit site
Henry gets very noisy sometimes, I tend to wake him up at that point:rolleyes::D

I'm sure he has good and bad dreams, no idea what he's dreaming about though. I have noticed that both times we went shooting, he seemed to have some really intense dreams in the days afterwards - those phessies must have been getting away:D

echodomino

Visit site
The GSD x Bull Mastiff wags her tail like mad in her sleep and snores sooooooooooooo loud!!!!!

Do you have any piccies of her? My friend used to have a GSD x Bull Mastiff, just interested :D

The 3 terriers do, I've not noticed if the 2 viz's do. Millie will actually growl it's really funny.

Our old wire viz, Todd, used to suckle in her sleep, paws moving the works - this was as an adult dog as well as a puppy

pointergirl

Visit site
All the dogs I have owned over the years have appeared to dream. My current two twitch/make little noises . I always say the whippet is chasing rabbits and the pointer is chasing the whippet.