Doggy Day Care

Clodagh

Visit site
This must be a license to print money!
My hairdresser has two labs, one a year old and a pup only 14 weeks. She took them both to day care yesterday morning (older has been before, pup only second time). I asked about the set up and it is a securely fenced large garden with about 20 -30 dogs all running around in it, no segregation on age and not set up to provide any. One man runs it. This time her older bitch wouldn't get out the car, the man managed to drag her to the gate then she got free, bolted back to the car and pressed herself in it. They managed to eventually get her through the gate, using brute force.
HD stayed to watch from the side for a few minutes and older bitch was playing quite happily. Pup was on the decking area, cowering in fright, with 2 huskies sniffing her. No supervision to be seen. I am not saying huskies are particulary dangerous but why on earth did she just get back in her car and go to work?
I won't know for 6 weeks if they were OK when she picked them up, she did say she would reconsider sending them there again.
I expect there are better ones but I would love to know how much it costs a day to take your dog.

s4sugar

Visit site
Recipe for a dog fight.
I cannot understand how this can be licenced as one person could not deal with a fracas and you have to have segregation in case two or more dogs take a dislike or get over familiar with another.
What is provision for bad weather?
Sounds like someone had an idea and it will come to a head.
A simple guideline is someone must be watching at all times - rules out lavatory breaks - and the puppy needs out fast.

Clodagh

Visit site
I thought they should be licensed, but some licensed riding schools are dire so I suppose it is easy to blag what is happening when the inspector calls.
I may call in to see her next time I am in town and ask how they were.

Fiona

Visit site
I know of a local one, and they seem to have lots of different areas, and indoor and outdoor spaces.. Not sure about a grassy area though..

I think prices are on a par with childcare, so about £30 per day..

Fiona

twiggy2

Visit site
I hear of lots of dogs getting injured in these places. I dog walk and train in the area and many people do seem to want experienced good dog care for peanuts until it goes wrong
Why would you force a dog in somewhere like that and why leave such a young impressionable puppy there too?
I believe dogs are better with a good long positive walk and then home unless they can be in small, well supervised groups of compatible dogs.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We do doggy day care. We have to be licensed and insured (this sort of animal care does have to be) and there is a maximum number of dogs you're allowed to have (which is 6 in most cases). We are very careful to match dogs and the most we ever have at one time is four. We would never take a pup if we couldn't safely match it with dog's already booked in or visa versa. Happily dogs are very happy coming to us, and 'returners' bolt down the drive with smiles and wagging tails.

It's so important to have a safe, supervised and enjoyable environment for the dog's to come to. Walks are tailored in accordance with fitness and age and they are never left unattended.

millikins

Visit site
I sent my standard poodle to a similar large set up, though it was better staffed. I was dubious as he is a sensitive soul who doesn't usually interact with other dogs. He was deeply upset when he came home, so much so that I found a husband and wife team with a more personal touch. Initially he refused to get in their van so dog walker sensibly didn't force him but we had to arrange another trial day with me going with him. Dog is now very happy with this arrangement for which I pay £25 for about 5 or 6 hours.

Copperpot

Visit site
20 - 30 dogs!! That's insane. If they had a fight and a few joined in there is no way one person could stop a dog being seriously injured or killed. I wouldn't consider leaving any of my dogs in a place like for one second.

Clodagh

Visit site
It doesn't seem to be standard, thank goodness.
Amymay your set up sounds more how I would expect day care to be, there didn't sound to be a lot of 'care' in it.
I used to look after dogs for the men on the drill rigs in Northern Australia, they just lived with us and were treated like our own. I accept that isn't always possible.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
they just lived with us and were treated like our own. I accept that isn't always possible.

Which is how it is with us. They've all had a lovely walk this morning for a few hours. Hung out in the garden whilst I weed, and are now curled up asleep om the soffa.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
20160907_155909-1_zpspymgzhvu.jpg
[/URL]

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Like the (in)famous Caesar Milan 'pack'? I think that's an extremely tense set up and I can't imagine who would put their dog into that situation. My werewolf would be like a Tasmanian devil. And are they all vaccinated? Mine are in a huge cage with run and access to a 2 acre field, just the three of them, no other dogs. The owner knows what Zak is like!

leflynn

Visit site
Oh no, I couldn't bear to leave them somewhere like that :( I hope they are okay

I don't send mine to doggy day care as he just likes sleeping on the sofa and doesn't really settle elsewhere so he has a nice walker instead

RunToEarth

Visit site
It makes me so sad that there are 20-30 people who would leave their dogs in somewhere like that, especially having dragged one of them in there :( Really hope your hairdresser finds a more suitable arrangement for them.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
When I worked in had a dog walker for an hour a day. I don't think my dog particularly likes being by himself in the day, but I think he prefers a snooze in his own house these days.

When on holiday in book him in with a home boarder (any I can find with space!) And all seem to have had a good set up, often he was the only dog there with people 24/7. I can't kennel him as after spending so long in terms rescue I think he would have a breakdown.

Clodagh

Visit site
It makes me so sad that there are 20-30 people who would leave their dogs in somewhere like that, especially having dragged one of them in there :( Really hope your hairdresser finds a more suitable arrangement for them.

My dogs aren't even that bad going to the vets, just a bit unenthusiastic.
And Stencilface, I couldn't put my dog in kennels nowadays, although I know at least they are safe. I have an obliging mother so mine all get to stay at home.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Well, sometimes I'm naughty and don't arrange anything and ask my parents, bit only for shorter breaks normally. He's a big dog and kind of dominates wherever he goes, although he's the best pub dog around. And no one would dare break in when he's there :D

FYI my dad got a reduction on his house insurance as they have a dog. She's incredibly daft, but noisy.

CrazyMare

Visit site
My dad's terrier goes to day care occasionally, it sounds like AmyMays, thet can have a maximum of six plus their own two labs but very rarely have that many. They play in the garden, go for walks and have a variety of beds to sleep on.

Harry pulls to go in although will come out and demand to be carried to the car, crying because he hasn't seen us!! Shows absolutely no sign of missing us while there though!!

RunToEarth

Visit site
It's particularly hard on such a young puppy.

I also have an obliging mum although I try to take her with us wherever possible. I wouldn't have an issue leaving her with something like Amymay's set up, that sounds ideal. For me, I would like whoever looks after my dogs to be another proper dog lover, and I don't know any dog lovers prone to bunging 30dogs in a garden. If done properly it's one of those industries that is done for a labour of love rather than profit driven.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think when I retire, which I hope to do when youngest leaves uni, I will do dog day care like AmyMay, but for labs. The sofa may be a step too far though!
My mother and mother-in-law both live on the farm, which has both negatives and positives, but our dogs sleep in the farm house if we are away and they just take them out in the day. My husband is far worse at leaving home than the dogs, so it doesn't happen very often.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I know of a local one, and they seem to have lots of different areas, and indoor and outdoor spaces.. Not sure about a grassy area though..

I think prices are on a par with childcare, so about £30 per day..

Fiona

Wow!! I pay £30 a day/night for a collie and 2 JRTs!

Fiona

Visit site
Just checked prices out and its 16-20 per day depending on how many days per week the dog attends.. Oops I don't know where I got 30 from. Must have dreamed it.

Fiona