Doggy Detanglers?!!

K27

Visit site
Can any of you recommend me a good product to detangle my dogs coat? he has a long coat and I've never owned longer haired breeds of dog before! He's a Yorkie but a giant one at that- think he is probably crossed with a Shih tzu. I groom his coat thoroughly each day but he still managed to get little knots and tangles in his coat - he loves the "bedhead" look!- so I'm wondering whether it would be worth trying a detangler?- has anyone used in particular the Pethead one? or can recommend me something else to use on him?! pherhaps i should take him to a dog groomer!.... thanks!

cobgirlie

Visit site
I'd take him to a groomer to get them to sort him out and ask their advise how to keep on top of his coat. I adopted a standard poodle cross a few years ago and having been used to staffies all my life the coat maintance of the poodle was a shock!!! I went to a professional groomer who advised me the right brushes to use and how to maintain his coat.

K27

Visit site
I'd take him to a groomer to get them to sort him out and ask their advise how to keep on top of his coat. I adopted a standard poodle cross a few years ago and having been used to staffies all my life the coat maintance of the poodle was a shock!!! I went to a professional groomer who advised me the right brushes to use and how to maintain his coat.

Yeah I'm exactly the same- used to Boxer dogs and they have very maintenance free hair do!!

Thanks- I'll go to a groomer with him for some help and info!

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I've always used my horse's mane and tail spray on the dogs - Yellow dog doesn't tangle but Bear used to manage to get her feathers knotted in no time :rolleyes: Just don't use it indoors in a room with laminate flooring, my sister still hasn't forgiven me for the time she ended up wearing the tea tray.... :D

cobgirlie

Visit site
I'm a cruel mum now though, I don't have time to keep on top of his grooming and he does over heat even in the winter (he went swimming this morning at 6am in the sea!!!!) I have him shaved twice a year and be done with it!! He has a grade 1 all over and although I much prefer his curly coat it's easier having a shaved dog....plus is he doesn't moult!! Mind you with a pack of dogs 1 not moulting doesn't really do much to save on the vacumning!!!:rolleyes:

Lol..visual image of your sister falling...I love a good fall!!!:D

horsehelper

Visit site
Canter coat shine is great spray onto your hands and the run over his coat. Bathing will make matts tighter so it's important to give him a good brush before a bath. If there is matts your groomer might be able to 'save' his coat rather than shave him off then show you how to maintain it.