Dogs' behaviours when their person is poorly

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I have a head cold. It's definitely a sinus thing going on.

Anyhoo, I'm lying on the sofa being pathetic and the Grots are worried. They're taking it in turns to look after me... ??? I'm alternating between being licked, quite possibly to death, and being head butted into oblivion. Lil'dog keeps making forays up my legs but is being rebuked by the others. The GSD has made best use of her long point nose to infiltrate between the others and satisfy herself that I'm still breathing.

Lovely to feel loved, though I can't wait 'till they all settle down somewhere!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ha! Good for them. If they were JRT"s they'd simply ignore you and get cross if they weren't fed on time! ??

Arff arff ?? The JRT has been fed and is now most put out that there's a Grots head where she wants to be. She tried sitting on it. Did not go well, but was very funny ??

Chiffy

Visit site
Sorry you are feeling poorly Mrs M, get well soon. I don’t think it’s because you are poorly but because you are doing something you don’t usually do.
I was given a large and difficult jigsaw for Christmas and it’s been the perfect antidote to lockdown. My dogs though, do not understand why I am spending so much time silently looking at the kitchen table!
They have been walked and would mostly be asleep while I do housework or whatever, but they kept coming and pushing a nose under my elbow or a paw on my lap! ????

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our Rotter does NOT like anyone to fall asleep in a chair/sofa. She will immediately put her face into yors to wake you up/check that you are still breathing. She, however can lie on her cushion/bed snoring away as much as she likes. Her sister wasn't as bothered, tbh. She left that kind of thing to the bossy one.

A few years ago I broke a bone in my foot; got a lift to A&E, after failing to convince myself that it was just bruised. Then |I came back with crutches and a big boot but non weight-bearing for a week. Assistance Rotter took one look at the help I needed to get down the steps to the kitchen door, then walked into the living room circled a few times to check that there was room for me to walk through with the crutches, made sure I was safely through the door, then walked backwards leading me to my usual chair, where she then sat and watched me.

I must admit the the Labs (now about 18 mths old) have been pretty sensible around the crutches this time around, they usually know where I want them to go so that I can get past and will follow directions sensibly, if they have guessed wrongly.

I hoe you feel better soon, MrsM.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Sorry you are feeling poorly Mrs M, get well soon. I don’t think it’s because you are poorly but because you are doing something you don’t usually do.
I was given a large and difficult jigsaw for Christmas and it’s been the perfect antidote to lockdown. My dogs though, do not understand why I am spending so much time silently looking at the kitchen table!
They have been walked and would mostly be asleep while I do housework or whatever, but they kept coming and pushing a nose under my elbow or a paw on my lap! ????

You're right. They do get nosey about anything different.

They do a help! ????

Roxylola

Visit site
Mine don't care a scrap as long as food is on time. If they even lick me I'm pretty sure they're only either checking if I'm dead enough to eat or reminding me they're hungry ?. I once had quite a nasty cut on my finger that bled a lot - my spaniel was obsessed with that til it stopped bleeding despite me having a plaster on it
They'll happily chill for a day or two without a walk if need be, they're not massively hard work but they've never shown any tendency to look after me.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Our Rotter does NOT like anyone to fall asleep in a chair/sofa. She will immediately put her face into yors to wake you up/check that you are still breathing. She, however can lie on her cushion/bed snoring away as much as she likes. Her sister wasn't as bothered, tbh. She left that kind of thing to the bossy one.

A few years ago I broke a bone in my foot; got a lift to A&E, after failing to convince myself that it was just bruised. Then |I came back with crutches and a big boot but non weight-bearing for a week. Assistance Rotter took one look at the help I needed to get down the steps to the kitchen door, then walked into the living room circled a few times to check that there was room for me to walk through with the crutches, made sure I was safely through the door, then walked backwards leading me to my usual chair, where she then sat and watched me.

I must admit the the Labs (now about 18 mths old) have been pretty sensible around the crutches this time around, they usually know where I want them to go so that I can get past and will follow directions sensibly, if they have guessed wrongly.

I hoe you feel better soon, MrsM.

They're remarkably protective and attentive for sure.

A few months ago I tripped up outside. Had a cross-eyed moment or two and stayed on the ground. One Grot sat next to me so I could lean on him, the other sat right next to me but looking outwards, and the GSD lay on the ground sorry of curled around me.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
They're remarkably protective and attentive for sure.

A few months ago I tripped up outside. Had a cross-eyed moment or two and stayed on the ground. One Grot sat next to me so I could lean on him, the other sat right next to me but looking outwards, and the GSD lay on the ground sorry of curled around me.

Teamwork as well! When I broke my foot, I was nearly drowned by Rotter 'get better kisses' before I could get up off the ground. They would be about 2 yrs old at the time.
When I fell more recently remaining (assistance) Rotter did NOT want to leave me sitting in the middle of the road on my own and I am told that she was very concerned for a few days. I have no idea why she decided that there was no further need to worry. Sister didn't want to leave her with me and bring the Labs home in case she objected to anyone who came to help.

misst

Visit site
Mine just cuddle up if you are not well but that's because any excuse for a cuddle is a good one. My old girl JRT was sensitive to mood and if I was sad or very angry she would know and be very affectionate and calm which was not her usual manner. She seemed to know when I was upset even if things had happened outside the house (my dad died abroad and she seemed to know).
Mrs M no matter if they know or not it's always good to be loved :)

SadKen

Visit site
I had gastroenteritis a few years back and my older GSD brought me every toy he could find as well as some socks, placing them all carefully in a pile at the end of the bed. I did not appreciate the gesture at the time but it was undeniably adorable when I felt better.

I had a migraine the other day and the younger one jumped on me while I was trying to sleep it off. :/

BBP

Visit site
I’ve started to get migraines and my little collie just goes very quiet and spends the day sleeping near me, doesnt pester me to play or go out or for food. I assume because the energy I’m giving off is very low and still. Unless it’s bin day in which case death to all bins, all day long, and doesn’t notice my suffering.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
They just seem to know, we had 2 pieces of exceptionally sad news yesterday and I sat in the living room with both dogs and both cats which is almost unheard of, the cats normally can’t stand being in the same room as each other. The springer lay across my feet rather than in her bed by the fire and the JRT managed to sneak onto my lap. Hope you are feeling better Mrs M.

Clodagh

Visit site
I’ve started to get migraines and my little collie just goes very quiet and spends the day sleeping near me, doesnt pester me to play or go out or for food. I assume because the energy I’m giving off is very low and still. Unless it’s bin day in which case death to all bins, all day long, and doesn’t notice my suffering.

That made me laugh! I hope migraines and bin days don't coincide too often!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
They just seem to know, we had 2 pieces of exceptionally sad news yesterday and I sat in the living room with both dogs and both cats which is almost unheard of, the cats normally can’t stand being in the same room as each other. The springer lay across my feet rather than in her bed by the fire and the JRT managed to sneak onto my lap. Hope you are feeling better Mrs M.

Sorry for your sad news. Very glad the hairies looked after you.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Hope you feel better soon Mrs M. I have a long history of sinus issues and it’s the pits, makes you feel like your head is splitting open!

Pets definitely know, I’ve been ill and off work all week, and both the cat and dog have been lovely. My cat is a real softy and she’s been spending a lot of time sleeping on my chest and keeping me company. My little dog always knows when you are sad or ill and comes up to cuddle with you.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Of course no self respecting cat would care one jot!
You might start to notice more hunting behaviour from a cat (more dead things brought to you). That's their way of saying "I recognise you are unwell and may not be able to hunt for yourself, I want you to survive so I have hunted for you". So try to be kind as you dispose of the collection of dead things they have generously provided.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
My dogs definitely know I'm pregnant, my very non-cuddly beagle has become very cuddly.
my Border Terrier who is normally all over me has taken to being quite careful
Can your border terrier give Mabel a call and pass the message on please? Every morning to wake me up she places both paws with all her weight behind her directly on both my nipples. Agony.

My fluffy friends definitely know I am pregnant. The cat has taken to jumping on my lap at every opportunity and he also now follows me to bed which he hasn't done since being a kitten. He's normally out from 9pm-6am killing things!

The dog now slightly favours my sofa for naps whereas before she was 100% a daddy's girl.

And the pony now stands for a cuddle when I turn her out for a few mins before going off for grass whereas before I could barely whip her headcollar off fast enough for her. She's also been an angel to ride, normally in typical native mare fashion if she senses weakness she will capitalise on it. But despite my breathlessness and lack of core she has actually schooled really nicely.

Humans on the other hand...OH didn't really understand the extent of my morning sickness until he woke up to the sound of me heaving every morning for weeks.

Hope you feel better soon Mrs M!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
You might start to notice more hunting behaviour from a cat (more dead things brought to you). That's their way of saying "I recognise you are unwell and may not be able to hunt for yourself, I want you to survive so I have hunted for you". So try to be kind as you dispose of the collection of dead things they have generously provided.
I wish Teddy would show this kind of consideration, he brought in two mice the other night except all he left for me to survive on were their intestines.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you all folks.

I hope all poorly people are improving, and all pregnant people get over their morning sickness.

I'm much improved. It's reduced to a dull roar and that's manageable. One Grot and the GSD aren't convinced and are either sitting on my feet or headbutting me. The cat couldn't give a shiny s thing - she doesn't hunt her own never mind for me ?