Dogs chasing horses

GSD Woman

Visit site
I keep reading about how many horse people in the UK are having problems with out of control dogs. As an American, reading the article today I immediately thought "Shoot the damn things. " And I own 3 dogs! I know that the UK doesn't have the gun culture of the USA but can yard owners own a shot gun or rifle? Around here if dogs harass livestock the farmer/land owner tends to do the 3 Ss. Shoot, shovel and shut up.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yes, farmers can legally shoot a dog that is worrying stock and most farmers have guns, although it's being made harder and harder (in terms of the difficulty of obtaining a firearms license).

The overarching issue is people picking unsuitable breeds for their own capabilities, irresponsible breeding/selling to novice owners, and the current trend towards not giving dogs any solid boundaries/putting them in stupid situations in the first place and giving them the benefit of the doubt/thinking that human logic or belief trumps genetics.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I'm sure that any country that has sensible gun laws is glad that they don't have the gun culture of the USA. But in cases of dogs harassing livestock I firmly believe that the farmer/land owner should be able to protect their livestock. A FaceBook friend shared a link to the H&H story today. The overwhelming opinion was that irresponsible dog owners suck. Many of us live where if little
Fluffy is running loose, little Fluffy is likely to be eaten by coyotes. A friend was attacked by loose dogs on her own property. She let the owners know that next time they would be shot. Amazingly enough, the dogs no longer run loose.

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm sure that any country that has sensible gun laws is glad that they don't have the gun culture of the USA. But in cases of dogs harassing livestock I firmly believe that the farmer/land owner should be able to protect their livestock. A FaceBook friend shared a link to the H&H story today. The overwhelming opinion was that irresponsible dog owners suck. Many of us live where if little
Fluffy is running loose, little Fluffy is likely to be eaten by coyotes. A friend was attacked by loose dogs on her own property. She let the owners know that next time they would be shot. Amazingly enough, the dogs no longer run loose.
As said above, it is legal for farm owners to shoot dogs here if they are worrying their stock.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I keep reading about how many horse people in the UK are having problems with out of control dogs. As an American, reading the article today I immediately thought "Shoot the damn things. " And I own 3 dogs! I know that the UK doesn't have the gun culture of the USA but can yard owners own a shot gun or rifle? Around here if dogs harass livestock the farmer/land owner tends to do the 3 Ss. Shoot, shovel and shut up.

I am also gald we dont have the SSS, dog culture and gun culture is a bit different here. Some farmers have guns but dont routinely carry them and many sheep attacks are not witnessed anyway-hard to shoot something thats no longer there. Around my way its the amount of people moving out to what were rural towns and either bringing Fido with them and Fido's never seen horses before, nor had the temptation of 100s acres reeking of sheep/fox/badger and deer or they buy their first Fido and are generally clueless. Doesnt really matter what breed tbh, crap owners make crap dogs.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
“In the last year I’ve noticed a much greater sense of entitlement amongst dog owners who think it’s perfectly acceptable to let their dogs run anywhere and turn a blind eye when it kills someone else’s animals — people need to take more responsibility for what their dogs are up to.”
Read more at https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/new...-spate-dog-attacks-689614#woZVWEEqJTs5isDA.99

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The breed of dog does not matter, but does seem to make a difference to the mindset of the owners, locally. If the dog is a small terrier type, chasing rabbits through our sheep, they seem to think that is acceptable! The fact that the sheep are running scared doesn't seem to impact on the stupid owners at all. One of he main offenders didn't alter her behaviour even after one of her dogs got caught up in our "live" electric sheep fencing, so no concern for the dog either :(

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
A horse had to be PTS at an equestrian centre up here last week after being chased through a fence and a local RS has had increasing problems with errant dogs in their fields-unfortunately they are right on th edge of a local park/loch but they've not had issues in the last few deaceds until now. I know they arent stock as such, I mostly fear meeting dogs out when riding personally having seen what the ponies do to the local farm collie if he trespasses. my pony is not fussed by dogs charging about but the tipping point is there for any horse. I'd not hesitate to get off and leather something if the need was there.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I do remember having to shout at people with a GSD which came out of a property I was hacking past and they just sort of stood and watched as it came under the mare's chest and she started to rear. Dog meant no harm but it did take me roaring at them, to prompt them to attempt to do something. We also got chased by a doberman once but it was too cowardly to get close and it bogged off as soon as I started threatening it with a whip. The yard terrier used to come hacking with us and he used to see off all threats lol.
My older dog was raised with horses but he is strongly prey orientated and if something runs, he will go after it, which is why I put him on a lead around other animals. I remember being thanked profusely by two riders in a forest for putting him on a lead and downing him until they passed. It was a no-brainer for me but clearly they are not used to that :(
There's a field near my house and people think nothing of walking their dogs through it when there are cows and calves in it. Apart from anything else, I'd be scared of the cows.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
people are idiots wrt cattle. I get cows warning me off their calves when I walk my dogs along the road, I'd not be getting in the fields with them. I've had various dog issues out hacking but nothing actually vicious- ponies and horses have been solid thankfully. I do have a giggle at those dog walkers who try and hide (while thanking them profusely for holding their dogs and getting out of the way) from the prey animal with amazing vision and sense of smell.

paisley

Visit site
[QUOTE=" I do have a giggle at those dog walkers who try and hide (while thanking them profusely for holding their dogs and getting out of the way) from the prey animal with amazing vision and sense of smell.[/QUOTE]

Also wishing they could think through what lurking in the bushes might mean to 500 kg of beast that uses 'Run away!' as a default response to danger

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
[QUOTE=" I do have a giggle at those dog walkers who try and hide (while thanking them profusely for holding their dogs and getting out of the way) from the prey animal with amazing vision and sense of smell.

Also wishing they could think through what lurking in the bushes might mean to 500 kg of beast that uses 'Run away!' as a default response to danger[/QUOTE]

I know, but at least they are trying lol! maybe I should get a mule eventually, they freeze rather than flee. also, they stomp on dogs :D

paisley

Visit site
Also wishing they could think through what lurking in the bushes might mean to 500 kg of beast that uses 'Run away!' as a default response to danger

I know, but at least they are trying lol! maybe I should get a mule eventually, they freeze rather than flee. also, they stomp on dogs :D[/QUOTE]
I normally shout a bossy sounding 'Good morning/afternoon' at lurkers so they speak and the 'Run Away and Preferably Towards More Danger with Vets Bills' beast hopefully twigs they are human (ish)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My understanding is that here in the UK a farmer is legally entitled to shoot a dog if he/she "observes" them actually chasing sheep; there would be an issue if a farmer were to say shoot a dog he/she simply saw in the field, they'd have to be actually worrying the livestock in order for this action to be justified.

We've had a problem here in my area of an irresponsible owner letting their dogs roam freely and among other things that occurred, they have been chasing horses. We reported it to the local Dog Warden, who has given them a written warning apparently.

But yeah, sometimes you just wish you COULD shoot the dang things.......

Clodagh

Visit site
Shooting a dog that is chasing any livestock is actually pretty hard. It would be highly unlikely to kill it if you shot it at any distance with a shotgun and for a rifle they need to be standing still. If they were standing still, unless they are on a downed animal, the law would probably say you could have gone and caught it. If you only injure it you have to pay the vets bills, so make sure it is dead would be the best thing!

Clodagh

Visit site
Around here if dogs harass livestock the farmer/land owner tends to do the 3 Ss. Shoot, shovel and shut up.

My OH likes this as a concept. :) I add he never has, everything gets caught and returned, possibly with some forthright advice as to how to exercise your dog and a bill for anyting dead or injured.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Whilst I don’t object to a farmer shooting a dog chasing his/her livestock we do have a very trigger happy gamekeeper around here who likes to practice on domestic pets.........

Clodagh

Visit site
Whilst I don’t object to a farmer shooting a dog chasing his/her livestock we do have a very trigger happy gamekeeper around here who likes to practice on domestic pets.........

If people's domestic pets are killing his pheasants en masse then they should not be there.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
If people's domestic pets are killing his pheasants en masse then they should not be there.
I suspect more of his pheasants are killed by traffic doing 60mph down the adjacent carriageway then some neighbours cat. I do find it strange that having a load of knob-ends paying thousands on a commercial shoot to despatch his birds is more acceptable than them getting smashed by cars or a marauding cat.😏

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I suspect more of his pheasants are killed by traffic doing 60mph down the adjacent carriageway then some neighbours cat. I do find it strange that having a load of knob-ends paying thousands on a commercial shoot to despatch his birds is more acceptable than them getting smashed by cars or a marauding cat.😏
Whoa, I know you are having a difficult time, but perhaps a bit of moderation? OTT imho.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The groom at my yard was laughing at some poor guy who was in the geldings’ field last week with his dog. He shouldn’t have been in there, it’s private and there’s a well sign posted footpath down the lane so no excuse. He was SPRINTING to the fence as the whole herd chased him and his dog. He threw the dog over the fence and scrambled over it-barbed wire in parts, oops! That’ll teach him to obey bloody signs!

GSD Woman

Visit site
If you catch the dogs, can you take them to the nearest shelter where the owner would have to pay a fine to get back their dog? Most people wise up after the second or third time.