Dogs ears causing great aggitation

Visit site
Granny Gordon has been up all night trembling, pacing, trying to get behind furniture, and panting heavily. I also have been up all night. she was in such a state I was ready to go to the emergency vets. However, about 5am she had calmed down somewhat. It seemed to start a while after I had put some drops down her ears ( from pet shop) as she was shaking her head and rubbing her face on the chairs although I thought this was probably co incidental. Anyway this morning she was nearly back to normal but I took her to the vets anyway, bit worried she had had a slight stroke or had gone blind or something. Vet looked down her ear and said it was a bit inflamed, gave me some drops. I put these in when I got home and she's off again, trembling. panting etc. so I look forward to another sleepless night! Obviously the cause of the problem nothing more sinister thank goodness.She is supposed to have these drops twice a day for a week . Vets says I must persevere. Last night was horrendous.
Anyone else had this problem with their dogs ?

wkiwi

Visit site
Have a look at the ingredients and see if it has peanut oil in. Have used a product with this in for my own ears and it *#*^%#&* STINGS/BURNS. It was same product as used by vets, but under a different brand name for humans (some years ago so can't remember the brand, but on discussion with the chemist it was the peanut oil that was the culprit for me.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Most pet shop drops are awful.

Epiotic is a good mild wash. Squirt it in and they shake it out. All the drops I was given before that made my dog worse.

Visit site
Did ring vets again but they say persevere and the inflammation will go ! Some dogs dont like the feel of the drops in their ears. She isnt shaking her head now at all, this was only the first time. The cure seems worse than the original condition ! No peanut oil.
Not looking forward to this evenings medication

missmatch

Visit site
Another vote for stinky stuff ear drops. Honestly did not expect it to work having tried everything else including veterinary stuff. Poor dog was driven mad with her ears. The difference was obvious after the first drop and it’s made a huge improvement to her ears and her life.

Visit site
She was in a dreadful state yesterday, I ended up at the emergency vets at 2.30 am. ready to do the deed. However vet gave her a sedative to see if this would help. We were both up most of the night as sedative didn't seem to kick in very quickly, and she was whining which is a new thing. However at 7 am. I put her in the car ready to take her back to the vets and she calmed right down in the car.
I think the ear thing is a red herring as if the drops were causing the problem surely she would be shaking her head or tilting it and she isn't. Think is may be dementia sped up. I didn't give her the second dose of ear drops
Have made a late a.m appointment with my vet to take her to be pts if she gets worse again once the drug wears off. Cost me £175 just to walk through the door of the emergency vet so really don't want to have to go again. On tenterhooks now really don't want to lose her yet.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
She was in a dreadful state yesterday, I ended up at the emergency vets at 2.30 am. ready to do the deed. However vet gave her a sedative to see if this would help. We were both up most of the night as sedative didn't seem to kick in very quickly, and she was whining which is a new thing. However at 7 am. I put her in the car ready to take her back to the vets and she calmed right down in the car.
I think the ear thing is a red herring as if the drops were causing the problem surely she would be shaking her head or tilting it and she isn't. Think is may be dementia sped up. I didn't give her the second dose of ear drops
Have made a late a.m appointment with my vet to take her to be pts if she gets worse again once the drug wears off. Cost me £175 just to walk through the door of the emergency vet so really don't want to have to go again. On tenterhooks now really don't want to lose her yet.

Our dog, Heck, has just had unexplained ear trouble, had me banging on the door of the vet at opening time as he was so low. They gave him antibiotics and anti-inflamatories/pain killer. He had been on drops as his ears had been bothersome for a week or so, but it suddenly went off the scale.

He has (managed) pancreatitis, so we too thought we could lose him as he looked so poorley.

The vet said she thought it was an inner ear infection, so drops not really doing anything as they really treat the outer ear. The outer ear was clean, but mildly inflamed.

A couple of days later and he was a different dog. If your dog goes downhill then I would have antibiotic injection and pain killer injection. Nothing to lose. It could treat a range of complaints.

Heck was bad enough that tablets would not have been quick enough. He followed up with tablets once the injections had done their stuff.

Visit site
Waiting to go to the vets. I have noticed that although she has been drinking a lot, she hasn't been weeing as much as usual. Normally I have to go out and sluice the back yard every night and haven't had to do this for 2 days. Wonder if her kidneys have failed. She is very wobbly still on her back legs from the sedative I hope. Im in two minds whether to let her be put to sleep.I know Ill be facing it soon enough anyway given her age. Unluckily I may be doing the same thing for my horse shortly.

Visit site
I have just come back from the vets, she has gone. I am devastated. That's two beautiful dogs in about 2 years.
Very hard decision, as of course vets suggested trying this that and the other, but at her age I didn't think it fair on her
as she was obviously suffering, but from what - dementia, arthritis, and possibly renal problems as, I had noticed that although she was drinking a lot in the last two days she wasn't weeing or attempting to. Anyway RIP Georgiegirl.

npage123

Visit site
I'm very sorry Penny Less. Such a difficult aspect of life to cope with. I know it's a corny thing to say but time heals all wounds (at least somewhat). Hang in there ( ( ( ) ) )

Visit site
Thanks all. I think I would feel more settled if I knew exactly what was wrong,and if something could have been done.Rather like the Clumber spaniel, did a lot of investigation but no answers! House very quiet and empty, she was a high maintenance girlie. Maybe room for another at some time in the future.

npage123

Visit site
I think you were absolutely right to have made that extremely hard decision today to PTS. Who knows how many tests, xrays, scans, poss even exploratory surgery it would have taken to make a diagnosis. It would have taken weeks, and sadly it sounds as if all of that would have been too much at this stage in her life to have coped with. (And as an aside, if I was in your shoes and I was a millionaire, I still wouldn't have prolonged her suffering and would have decided that PTS is the only realistic option.)

I feel so sorry for you and I fully empathise with you. I've lost two lovely old cats, within a year and a half of one another, and my old TB boy is really worrying me as for the first time ever he's really looking his age coming out of winter. I just can't wait for the weather to improve so we can have decent grazing. It would do him the world of good.

Put some music or the telly on so you haven't got a deafening silence in your house. Or binge-watch a series on Netflix if you're into that?

You're in our thoughts today, and the next difficult period which will unfortunately inevitably follow. ( ( ( ) ) )

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am so sorry that there was not a more positive ending, but she was lucky to have you for her family, as you were brave to make the decision for her.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Aw I am so sorry to hear that PL. I hope you can take some comfort from the fact that you gave both some happiness and comfort in the last years of their lives.

Visit site
Been turning over in my head all night that it still was the drops in the ears, as it seemed like a fear response. When she used to get scared and tremble all over though it usually resolved itself after a couple of hours. I think Im feeling guilty because as soon as she was out of the house she seemed more relaxed, which also seemed to point to her getting scared. However, its all water under the bridge now. Im going to try and stop fretting. I will never know and she has gone, but I know she enjoyed being with me. Perhaps another dog will come along in a few months that I wont be able to resist.

Chiffy

Visit site
I have only just caught up with this. Just wanted to say how sorry I am and thinking of you.
It’s so hard to know sometimes with the oldies and you made a brave decision for what was right for her rather than you.
Hope you can soon remember the good times xx