Dogs in a truck

Jenko109

Visit site
I really want a truck. Like a Ford Ranger or similar.

Now my confusion comes with the back bit where the dogs would go. Can you buy cars that have this area heated/air conditioned? Do the windows open?

Here is a picture for reference.

401f8fb2190d4a059406d94de582065a.jpg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It would seem not. The only one we found with a window that made the bavk bit accessible from the seats is a Great Wall and none seem to have climate control. We settled on a SsangYong Rexton, where the dog bit is part of the car.

Clodagh

Visit site
OH has an L200 pickup with integral top. You can go in and open the front of the back bit window which generates a lot of air. The side windows open a bit.

Moobli

Visit site
I had a Toyota Hilux with an open back. No heating (well a bed of straw 😂) and they loved it but I wasn’t keen on not having “contact” with them that I now have in the Volvo estate car.

Edited to add photo … just realised it sounds like there was no canopy 🙈😂.

IMG_6490.jpeg

Last edited:

EventingMum

Visit site
We have a big dog crate on the back seats for our three terriers as I wouldn't like not to be able to see them. It works fine for us as we don't travel them often and when we do it's just Mr EM and me but wouldn't work if there were more passengers. It's also a bit of a nuisance as the dogs have to hop between the front seats to get into the crate, so far I haven't been able to find a suitable end door crate.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We have one and I just find it awkward and kind of un-usable!
I had it at first and would put shopping in the back then have to climb in to retrieve it all again 😂
Mr P has it now with it all fitted out in the back so his dog (very rarely) sits in the car part in the footwell.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Our pick up is the same as the OP’s photo. The side windows pop out a little (probably around a 2” gap) and there is a sliding window at the front of it which is about an inch away from the back canopy. I suspect it is a bit warm when stopped for a while, and slightly breezy the rest of the time!

Edited to add pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1853.jpeg
    IMG_1853.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1852.jpeg
    IMG_1852.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1851.jpeg
    IMG_1851.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ah okay thank you.

Have to have another think.

The whippet will call child line if there is no heating in winter 😅
When we were kids we had a series 1 Land Rover with a canvas back .
The car was in garage and we had to take a long trip to my Grand mothers it was winter the weather was terrible.
They chucked us kids in the back and put the Labrador in the front with them because she did not like the cold !

Landcruiser

Visit site
My L200 Barbarian has side windows that open fully, but you are not supposed to drive like that (because they'd be in danger of slicing things). I travel my dogs in the back - the biggest problem is lifting the older one in and out, can't be bothered faffing with a ramp.

silv

Visit site
When we were kids we had a series 1 Land Rover with a canvas back .
The car was in garage and we had to take a long trip to my Grand mothers it was winter the weather was terrible.
They chucked us kids in the back and put the Labrador in the front with them because she did not like the cold !
love this!!!!!

silv

Visit site
Depends on the model, some like my Mitsubishi have sliding windows, you can buy grates for them so the windows can be opened fully but dog can't stick its head out. I have travelled this way for about 25 years. Dogs are fine, if it is colder in the winter just put a bit of carpet down but it will stink! When I go for a walk with my friend we often have 5 dogs in the back, no way would they all fit in the car.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I've got a 7 seater kia sorrento. There's heating, a/c etc right through to the very back where the dogs should be!! They are currently on the back seat as my tack is In the very back!