Dogs in pubs

Moobli

Visit site
I rarely go to pubs anymore and definitely not in an evening. I occasionally go to a dog friendly one on holiday for a quick lunch/drink after a walk but only with dogs that are used to it and well behaved.

I don’t mind dogs in pubs at all but definitely depends on the type of pub and the dogs in question. Noisy or bouncy dogs are a bit of a pain. Well behaved, quiet dogs are absolutely fine.

One of my favourite nights (about 20 years ago 😂) was in a very rural Lakeland pub which was clearly a regular for the local Search & Rescue Team. I was on a walking weekend and had my quiet, gentle GSD bitch with me and she had a fab evening mooching about with all the SAR collies who were allowed to just wander about. They didn’t seem to bother anybody who didn’t call them over for a fuss. I loved it. Everyone was so friendly and relaxed, inc all the dogs.

Boulty

Visit site
The Hooligan is a regular visitor to various pubs & cafes. If the weather is nice we’ll sit outside as he’s normally filthy if he’s been for a walk (he only has to look at mud to coat himself in it!) but occasionally we do venture inside too. He tends to tuck himself away under the table apart from pulling the odd sad face at me to see if I’ll give him anything. He’s quite if he’s inside but will admit he’ll bark at the odd pigeon or duck if outside 😳

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We’ve got annual memberships of the local stately pile and grounds which is open to the public three days a week for 8 months a year. On lead dogs only allowed on site. We often walk the JRT there.

The on site café is under new management and has been completely refurbed. There are now NO DOGS allowed inside, hurray. No more weaving past ill trained muddy mutts when trying to carry a tray to a table. There is outside seating and an outside serving hatch for those with dogs.

Progress.

Goldenstar

Visit site
We’ve got annual memberships of the local stately pile and grounds which is open to the public three days a week for 8 months a year. On lead dogs only allowed on site. We often walk the JRT there.

The on site café is under new management and has been completely refurbed. There are now NO DOGS allowed inside, hurray. No more weaving past ill trained muddy mutts when trying to carry a tray to a table. There is outside seating and an outside serving hatch for those with dogs.

Progress.

They probably will lose trade but that’s their choice .
One of the pubs I know well as well worked figures on the dog tourism input to the business it keeps the pub afloat off season
Dog tourism is a huge business now and Northumberland is one of its centres .

Goldenstar

Visit site
I was at a pub quiz and someone brought an old/nervous dog and no one was allowed to clap or make any sudden noises and the music round had to be abandoned.
It was a pub quiz ffs....
I would never take my dogs to a quiz it’s too noisy I would either not go leave them at home or leave them in car if the weather was ok .
If our local is full of noisy youngsters I leave the dogs out until it’s quiet .
My Dogs like the pub in our local they go under the bench seat and stay until the end of evening when the they have a chat to the bar staff and chefs at the end of the shift .

I do train my dog for pub work as I call it .
I also stay a lot in hotels with my dogs the first few times is nerve wracking I train for that as well .

MurphysMinder

Visit site

Progress.

Do you mean the cafe in the grounds, why would you take dogs in there, its tiny. There are plenty of seats outside which are great for folk with dogs. I saw they were under new management, hope they still do the bacon and brie toasties !

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Do you mean the cafe in the grounds, why would you take dogs in there, its tiny. There are plenty of seats outside which are great for folk with dogs. I saw they were under new management, hope they still do the bacon and brie toasties !
That’s the one. The people who have the farm shop on the road outside the estate have taken over the café.

When I went on a soggy midweek day just gone, it was just cake and filter coffee, no latte (sob) or bacon buttie or other hot options, which I was rather gutted about. Lots of variations of tea if that’s your thing. Because the ground is so soft I was allowed to park in the accessible car park at the back of the café. The JRT was happy to wait after her walk in her travel crate in the car.

They apparently do hot food at busy days/times, but as a member I actively avoid those, like today which is Daffodil Walk day!

They probably will lose trade but that’s their choice .
One of the pubs I know well as well worked figures on the dog tourism input to the business it keeps the pub afloat off season
Dog tourism is a huge business now and Northumberland is one of its centres .

If people are put off using a café because they can’t take fluffikins inside the building, but are still welcome to use the covered seating area outside and to order from the serving hatch then that’s rather pathetic, tbh.

Last edited:

Smitty

Visit site
I never mind dogs in pubs as long as they are small, quiet and unobtrusive. I don't agree with feeding them anything if there are other dogs present, I just don't think that's fair. They should be kept off the seating and the tables.

Big dogs slobber which is just gross and get in the way most of the time.

I travel on my own a lot, and stay on sites reasonably near bus stops so using the bus does not give me the option of leaving dog in a vehicle, which is my choice when it is safe to do so.

Pet friendly is now a tourist attraction. I got taken to one such cafe by a friend who was mystery shopping it and there were dog beds in the window alcove for dogs to lie in, as well as numerous water bowls, stacks of treats, staff making a fuss of the dogs as a matter of course and all sorts of manner of things that would get fur parents excited 🙄

MurphysMinder

Visit site
That’s the one. The people who have the farm shop on the road outside the estate have taken over the café.

When I went on a soggy midweek day just gone, it was just cake and filter coffee, no latte (sob) or bacon buttie or other hot options, which I was rather gutted about. Lots of variations of tea if that’s your thing. Because the ground is so soft I was allowed to park in the accessible car park at the back of the café. The JRT was happy to wait after her walk in her travel crate in the car.

They apparently do hot food at busy days/times, but as a member I actively avoid those, like today which is Daffodil Walk day!

If people are put off using a café because they can’t take fluffikins inside the building, but are still welcome to use the covered seating area outside and to order from the serving hatch then that’s rather pathetic, tbh.

We were going last Wednesday to see the daffodils but weather was so vile we changed plans . Bit of a bummer if it’s a reduced menu during quiet times , that’s the only time we go too .

I'm Dun

Visit site
I took mine for a puppacino yesterday, not at the pub but a small local cafe. Its tiny but they allow dogs and I always use common sense, keep the dogs tucked away and if its heaving we don't go in, and are happy to sit outside if the chairs are out. The staff are always delighted to see mine, and took loads of photos for their social media when we were in. We didn't stay long as it was starting to get busy, but staff, customers and the dogs had a lovely time

432565380_382604541375640_1382945033938013324_n.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Took D for a walk round local lake this morning, then into the little cafe while we had a frothy coffee after. Cafe has a notice 'well behaved owners welcome, dogs please ensure you have trained them '.
D's almost 6 months and sat quietly under the table.
Just as we were finishing, a couple came in with 2 x terrier types. Both dogs vocal. Owner man sat heavily down at next but 1 table, immediately the bigger terrier type charges under tables aggressively at D!
Fortunately I still had my hefty yard Grasmeres on so it made contact with one.... owner made absolutely no attempt to restrain or call dog back. DH asks him to and bloke says it's ok he's friendly, just a pup at 9 months old.... had him since he was 7 weeks old. Blokey says just as well you haven't got a dog with you, he's not really learnt yet.... DH replies that we do indeed have our puppy sitting quietly under the table.

I then get to my feet, shove rude dog with my boot again and allow D to come with me. Damn thing really has a go then 🤬🤬🤬
Protection really sets in and I flick it hard with the side of my leg and it goes flying, enough to enable me to smartly move us away. Cafe owner has seen all this and asked them to leave. Blokey really doesn't get it.... not his fault, nasty lady kicked his dog etc.
My DH was incensed and said it wasn't just the dog that needed training....

To answer the 1st post, mine rarely come into foody drink places with me but when they do on occasions like today or holidays, they know how to behave.

TFF, cannot abide rude dogs, kids or persons!

Clodagh

Visit site
TFF, cannot abide rude dogs, kids or persons!
Oh my he sounds like an absolute delight.
I met Spottherisk for lunch in a Chagford pub on Friday, I’d walked first so had two dogs with me. We sat in the dog friendly bit but as I was parked right by the door and it wasn’t warm I left mine in the car. I could have bought them in and would have done if it was hot.
The only other dogs we saw were a couple walked in with a few and one peed on the floor. 😃. To be fair to them she did go and get some paper towel from the bar and clear it up.

ArklePig

Visit site
I took fodhla into a cafe yesterday at a seaside town, trying to keep up the training. She wasn't in the humour at all, it's been a while since she's been in one. Anyway she whinged a little bit so I put her in the car. Then two fluffy white things came in and proceeded to bark the place down. I must admit, we are so pathetic Mr AP and I exchanged smug glances 'at least we don't let ours do that' 😂 especially as the one woman's method of shutting her dog up was just to say 'awk bruce' over and over.

Hopefully we do get there eventually because I'd like to do day trips but not when it's too warm to leave her in the car, and I don't like to leave her in the car out of sight in case the animal rights nuts put my windows in🙃

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’ll admit to being someone who takes her dog most places, including pubs/cafes/restaurants. But there’s a lot that goes into it, she’s very well behaved/quiet/non-reactive and generally just settles on her mat and goes to sleep. Plus I always pick a seat in a corner or against a wall so that she can settle out of everyone’s way and won’t cause an obstruction. The biggest problem I have is other people trying to call her over to give her attention! I’d be absolutely mortified if she barked, whines approached anyone uninvited or tripped anyone up!

I knew from before I got her that she would have to learn to behave in those situations, so we trained for it from day 1. We take the dogs on holiday, and a lot of places ask you don’t leave them in the cottage unattended. And sometimes it’s too hot to leave them in the car. Plus we are a family who love a pub walk!

I get very frustrated with other people’s dogs in places like that, especially anxious or stressed dogs who bark and bark, or dogs who react to every dog that comes past. It’s disturbing for everyone there, and clearly the dogs aren’t happy either

Pic of Posy’s first training trip at 10wks old. Disclaimer: it was a small cafe where we knew the owners and intentionally picked a quiet time where we were likely to be the only people there. We walked her there so she would be tired and toileted, gave her a chew and a toy and she fell asleep long enough to have a coffee, then when she woke up I took her home again. If she hadn’t settled I would have left with her.
IMG_5504.jpeg

So I guess that means I hate UNTRAINED dogs in pubs, but unobtrusive trained ones are more than welcome IMO. As someone said above, I prefer dogs in places to children 😂

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
Badly behaved dogs are a nightmare.

Wetherspoons used to allow dogs both inside and out in the gardens but then they brought in a blanket ban across all their establishments. We were holidaying in Cornwall from memory at the time, on the Saturday 9th September we took the dog into the beer garden and had a lovely ploughmans lunch but the following Monday she was refused even in the garden because of the ban.

I wrote to Tim Martin when I got home from holiday by email and didn't expect a response, but he sent me a lovely long email a couple of days later explaining that some dogs can be unpredictable and also some people for religious reasons don't like dogs in the pubs. He was really apologetic, so it was obvious to me that he'd been advised to do this by someone, like a business advisor or someone. Bless him, what a nice man though.

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm thinking that anyone so devout as to not want a dog in a pub....would not generally be hanging around in a 'Spoons...
‘I work with the homeless, with drug addicts and the unemployed’.
‘Oh, for a charity?’
‘No, for Wetherspoons.’

And I bet I’ve offended someone writing that but my son worked for one for a while at uni.

TGM

Visit site
I thought dogs in country pubs has always been a thing! Like the joke of men 'taking the dog out for a long walk' and ending up in the local pub instead! We do quite often take ours if going for a drink - we tie it in with her evening walk, plus she loves going to the pub. If you tell her she is going to the 'PUB' she gets really excited. We don't take her if we are going for a meal though and she has been pub-trained since puppyhood so just lies beside us quietly. She is very popular with the other locals too. It is a country pub in good walking country so there are often lots of dogs in there.

I don't have a problem with dogs in pubs as long as they are well-behaved and don't inconvenience the other customers - if they start yapping and misbehaving they should be taken out immediately (same with children)!

Clodagh

Visit site
i really honestly don’t mind well behaved dogs in pubs.
A survey by a member of staff in a popular pub here that allows dogs says maybe 90% are no trouble. Maybe more than that. Trouble is you don’t notice those ones! You notice the ones you fall over/try to bite you/try to bite other dogs/bark or pee. Or chase the pub cat in the beer garden.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I know this is a sideways shift, but our local where we used to live was dog friendly… and very local. You never got anyone in there you didn’t know, THAT sort of local.

Anyway…had been out somewhere else that evening, popped in for another before walking home…

The next morning I said to Mr StR, ‘was I pished last night or was there really a three legged farm collie, a three legged Jack and a six month old fat lamb in the pub last night?’

He confirmed I was sober as a judge! That collie was really struggling to keep the lamb where he wanted it. Top level madness! 🤣🤣🤣

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'm thinking that anyone so devout as to not want a dog in a pub....would not generally be hanging around in a 'Spoons...
Agree, that's a bs excuse. I'm thinking of a religion that really don't like dogs, they're 'dirty' (can't disagree!) and people would cross the street to avoid the dogs when we used to go round to the park round the corner. I don't see a lot of that kind of religious person in my local 'Spoons.