Dogs living outside in kennels/pens

Greylegs

Visit site
A question, if I may, for those whose dogs live outside full time in kennels or pens. What would you consider to be a decent minimum sized run or kennel space for a dog like a large Labrador and how many hours per day would it be reasonable for them to be confined in such a space? . I ask because I have serious concerns for the welfare of some dogs which live near me and am trying to decide if I’m being a nosy old bat who needs to mind her own business, or whether I should report them to the RSPCA or other welfare agency. Thank you for any guidance.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A question, if I may, for those whose dogs live outside full time in kennels or pens. What would you consider to be a decent minimum sized run or kennel space for a dog like a large Labrador and how many hours per day would it be reasonable for them to be confined in such a space? . I ask because I have serious concerns for the welfare of some dogs which live near me and am trying to decide if I’m being a nosy old bat who needs to mind her own business, or whether I should report them to the RSPCA or other welfare agency. Thank you for any guidance.

If they genuinely are never taken out of the runs/pens I think you could report them to either a welfare agency or, depending on the hygiene standards, to the LA Environmental Health dept/dog warden

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've had dogs that would run in a big circle all day even if you put them a huge exercise pen and marched them up mountains in between times.
I've also had dogs, including my current one, who has more floorspace than I do in my bedroom living room combined, who chooses to lie in one corner. His run could easily be divided and he'd still have enough room for the amount that he moves around in.
However that comes with the caveat that my dogs get a lot of exercise and stimulation and my dog comes inside at night.
Are you only passing at certain times of the day? I know if you drove past my old house at 9am and 5pm, you would think they had been in there all day, but they were out, a lot.

Greylegs

Visit site
I've had dogs that would run in a big circle all day even if you put them a huge exercise pen and marched them up mountains in between times.
I've also had dogs, including my current one, who has more floorspace than I do in my bedroom living room combined, who chooses to lie in one corner. His run could easily be divided and he'd still have enough room for the amount that he moves around in.
However that comes with the caveat that my dogs get a lot of exercise and stimulation and my dog comes inside at night.
Are you only passing at certain times of the day? I know if you drove past my old house at 9am and 5pm, you would think they had been in there all day, but they were out, a lot.

Hi ... no. I live next door and can see them pretty much 24/7 from my upstairs windows if I had nothing better to do. They are two large labs and a JRT, their pens are about a meter wide by 2 meters front to back with the kennel area behind which is the same width but maybe 1.5 meters front to back. They go out for around half an hour every morning and about the same at some point in the afternoon, on leads along the road and then a short run in a nearby field. I know they are well fed and have access to water etc, but are never allowed access to the garden itself (a large lawn) and never go inside. The larger of the two labs especially spends most of his time either jumping against the fencing or lying howling in his kennel which is distressing to hear. I often hear the JRT yelping as if in fear or pain. Not sure what to do tbh. Last night it was bitterly cold here and they cried most of the night or they spend significant amounts of time repeatedly scratching at the floor of their kennels. The neighbours are not the easiest of people to get on with (understatement of the year!!!), so really torn about what to do (if anything ...). Thanks for your reply.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Hi ... no. I live next door and can see them pretty much 24/7 from my upstairs windows if I had nothing better to do. They are two large labs and a JRT, their pens are about a meter wide by 2 meters front to back with the kennel area behind which is the same width but maybe 1.5 meters front to back. They go out for around half an hour every morning and about the same at some point in the afternoon, on leads along the road and then a short run in a nearby field. I know they are well fed and have access to water etc, but are never allowed access to the garden itself (a large lawn) and never go inside. The larger of the two labs especially spends most of his time either jumping against the fencing or lying howling in his kennel which is distressing to hear. I often hear the JRT yelping as if in fear or pain. Not sure what to do tbh. Last night it was bitterly cold here and they cried most of the night or they spend significant amounts of time repeatedly scratching at the floor of their kennels. The neighbours are not the easiest of people to get on with (understatement of the year!!!), so really torn about what to do (if anything ...). Thanks for your reply.

I would speak to Environmental Health/Dog Warden about the noise and let them take it from there. A friend did that and there was a significant improvement in the dog's welfare, which is being monitored by EH. EH will not divulge the complainant's name.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It would be a call to the Dog Warden initially from me.

agree I know lots of dogs live outside but most I know have properly heated kennels for the winter and if the jrt is anything like mine poor thing must be freezing, mine can't stand this weather she will cry if left out too long.

Greylegs

Visit site
No real update on this one. Mentioned my concerns to Mr GL and my wish to report this to the relevant authority. He totally agrees but is desperate not to start a war with our neighbours for all sorts of reasons (he can be a "difficult" individual to say the least). He also pointed out that, if I report him we are the only ones who can actually see into the garden so it wouldn't be difficult to work out who had reported !!!! So, I'm in a difficult position. The dogs continue to live how they live and have been outside throughout the recent awful weather (minus 6 here last night!). I haven't actually seen them for a couple of days but heard them barking at around 5.30am this morning so I know they're still there. I am totally torn about what to do.

Clodagh

Visit site
I would not do anything, awful as it is. Neighbours can make your life a real misery. Poor dogs, and it must be very upsetting seeing them but I can only see a long and dirty war if you report it.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Unfortunately, the law would probably consider these dogs adequately provided for, because they have shelter, are fed, have water, & are exercised. The only thing welfare wise would be (especially given recent temperatures) whether or not they warm enough. I personally would considering raising a concern about this, highlighting the fact they seem distressed, & that you can't see inside the kennels therefore don't know if they have bedding. You could also raise it as a noise issue to your local council - i guess that way the complaint could have come from other neighbors (providing there are some).