Dogs on a yard

Brontie

Visit site
Whats it like taking your dog down the yard? Do you have to keep it on a lead or are you constantly worried about it being kicked or somthing. Share your experiences please!And how are dogs and horses like together?

snurse

Visit site
I'm on a big yard with several resident dogs, so we're asked not to bring our dogs, which is fair. A few people just ignore it, but they're the sort that please themselves anyway. We can take our dogs into the fields with the horses though. I haven't done it enough with mine and they're a bit scared of horses. Ones that are used to it are usually fine, but I think almost every dog in the place has been trodden on at least once - fortunately minor - cut foot etc. - and it teaches them to be more careful. There are one or two people who ride out with their dogs, and they're fine. So I suppose it all depends on getting them used to horses, and hope the learn their lessons quickly and not too painfully.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
mine are fine, theyve been brought up with the horses back home, but never have them here cos its open onto road

but I wouldnt let others have theres loose unless we knew what it was like

Dougie

Visit site
stupid vizsla creature got chased by a 17.2hh chestnut warmblood the other night, galloped after him in the field, cornered him against the hedge, had to lean over gate and lift him over. needless to i wasnt sympathetic when clipping said horse that night.

the vizsla loves hacking out with us

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
My dog comes up the yard and plays with all the other liveries dogs, I walked round the fields with a couple of the other liveries and we had 9 dogs in total as some of the other liveries dog had tagged along (2x JRs, 2x GSD, 2x Weimaraner, Vizsla, Labrador and an Irish setter). Guess we are quite lucky we are allowed to take our dogs to the yard, and that the all get along.

echodomino

Visit site
All of mine go down there (by that I mean my 5 not all 11!!!!!!!!), it's not a problem so long as they get on with the farm dogs.

The puppy stays on the lead at the moment but the 3 Jacks and the adult Wire Viz are let loose
laugh.gif
They leave the horses alone and I only take them in my field, I know which of the 4 horses to keep an eye on!

I've only taking the jacks hacking off road. I took all 3 and my bro rode Nelson. I've taken Millie out on my own and Mouse, Mouse stays by the side or slightly infront and loves the fast work. Millie stays at the side or the back, after she was trodden on about 5 years ago she stays well clear of hooves who ever they belong to! She prefers the slow work and will wait at one end of the field for me to come back if I go for a canter.

I've never worried about them being trampled on, all my pups have gone straight down the yard, Jim used to sleep in people's fleeces whilst I went riding when he was a baby then when he was big enough he'd come in the indoor with me. He's always been loose with the horses though and used to bring Nel up the field for me - don't think he realised that Nel was attached to the lead rope he was tugging
laugh.gif

DiablosGold

Visit site
At my yard there are lots of dogs, my YO breeds labradoodles and poodles, but has a few other breeds as well. The dogs quickly learn to keep out of the way of the horses!

Once my YO was turning my horse out and noticed one of the terriers was hanging off his tail!

If I was going to take my dog to the yard I have to tell the YO well in advance so she could put the dogs into their kennels.

happihorse

Visit site
I keep my horses at home so there is no other horses / dogs there. However, my dogs roam about the yard and are fine with the horses. I usually shut them away if I am riding or moving the horses about, as they are liable to start hurtling around and spook the horses.

When the horses are out in the field, the dogs do sometimes try to chase them. However, the Welsh pony has since taught them a lesson - he chased one of the labs across a 10 acre field - needless to say, they now keep their distance!

Starbucks

Visit site
My horse is a bit funny with my GSP bitch, he lives at my mums house and is fine with her dogs, just doesn't like Star!
frown.gif
So I just keep Star out of the way if I'm moving him and keep her out of the field if he's in it. Other than that all horses and dogs get on fine! I take my mums dog out riding with me and she loves it!
smile.gif