Dogs on footpaths: PLEASE don’t tar us all with the same brush

Katrina 1

New User
Visit site
I’m new to Horse and Hound and registered specifically to post this comment, in response to some now rather old threads on the subject of dog walkers on public footpaths. I must admit to being disappointed by the viciousness of some of the comments on the subject, so I wanted to add an opinion from a walker’s perspective which I hope some of you might find helpful.
Firstly, to introduce myself: I don’t consider myself a ‘dog walker’ – I’m a walker with a dog. I’ve been walking the footpaths of Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Wiltshire as a serious hobby for over 40 years and have always been accompanied by a dog.
Many of the authors posting on these threads seem to assume that dog owners use footpaths solely for the purpose of using them as a toilet, or for giving the dogs exercise. This is not necessarily the case and I would ask you, please, not to tar us all with the same brush. I’m not in the countryside to exercise my dog – I’m there to explore footpaths, with my dog for company. Don’t assume that people enjoying rights of way are ignorant or malicious purely because they do not own the land they’re walking on.
My dog happens to be highly trained and very responsive to commands, but she does, of course, enjoy running, and sniffing around, as all dogs do. While I always keep her on a lead in fields containing livestock, and anywhere near farm buildings, I find it intensely irritating to see signs ordering me to leash my dog in fields where NO livestock is present. (I’m not talking here about Access land – just farmland with footpaths). Walks of between 6 – 20 miles would be a miserable experience for us both if my dog had to be on a lead across every field! How would you, as country people with equally well-trained dogs, feel in the same situation? In fields without livestock surely it’s far more practical to request that people keep their dog ‘under control’ instead?
On the subject of dogs and livestock, walkers would really appreciate being told if a field contains livestock BEFORE WE ENTER IT, so that we can leash our dogs in preparation. Put a sign on the stile. Although there are sadly always a few who will ignore such warnings, the majority of us are only too happy to comply and don’t want to get half way across and find out too late.
Believe it or not, many walkers don’t understand what silage is – so put a sign up about dog faeces on the entrance to that field. You'll find that an explanation works wonders.
To stray for a moment away from the purely doggy theme, many of the same posts I read complained of dog walkers who were not on the footpath. Believe it or not, the majority of walkers WANT to be on the designated path, and leave it only because they are confused or obstructed. Perhaps you should ask yourself whether the footpath is clearly marked and accessible? I frequently report footpaths that are grown over with crops, nettles, or where the signage is inadequate and only yesterday was forced to make a substantial diversion across farmland to avoid a face-high crop of stinging nettles across an entire stretch of footpath. Walkers, with or without dogs, are there because we, just like you, enjoy the countryside. Most of you are dog owners too, so I beg you to think of us with a little more respect, as individuals, and help us to help you.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Gosh. I don't really understand why you are so angry? If as you say your dog is under control and you are a considerate and responsible walker, then I doubt if anyone's comments (I must have missed them) were directed at people like you.

And welcome.

Katrina 1

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome, and no, I'm not angry at all! As I said, I merely "wanted to add an opinion from a walker’s perspective which I hope some of you might find helpful."
Cheers,
K

Katrina 1

New User
Visit site
Gosh. I don't really understand why you are so angry? If as you say your dog is under control and you are a considerate and responsible walker, then I doubt if anyone's comments (I must have missed them) were directed at people like you.

And welcome.

Thanks for the welcome, and no, I'm not angry at all! As I said, I merely "wanted to add an opinion from a walker’s perspective which I hope some of you might find helpful."
Cheers,
K

dollyanna

Visit site
I don't see how it is the farmer's job to inform whether there is livestock in the field or not - they are busy enough people without having to go round and put signs up or take them down every time they move animals!! Round here that ends up as a permanent sign to keep dogs on leads which then people ignore people they know it isn't true most of the time. Footpath or not, if you are crossing someone's land with a dog then it is up to you to ensure your dog is safe, and that means checking for livestock until it is clear there is none.

jrp204

Visit site
There are responsible dog owners/walkers but unfortunately I would say they are in the minority. Many dog owners do not understand the concept of 'close control'. I think you'll find many people, farmers, horse owners etc have had run ins with walkers and like all things no one posts about the responsible people.
I think people also forget that the public footpath is the 'path' not the whole field.

Auslander

Visit site
I'm not quite sure what the relevance of all the above is to a horsey forum. We are merely concerned with dogs being kept under proper control around our horses, so that horses don't get attacked, and dogs don't get kicked.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
There is a sign on a footpath near me that goes across a field that says there's a bull and cow in the fields. There hasn't been in the 9 years I've lived here.

There is however a boisterous herd of nosey broodmares in there half the year that love chasing a dog. Tbh I'd prefer the cows, and I'm a horsey person! :D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Another who thinks it's a bit much to expect farmers to be moving signs around every time they move their stock! People should just me more aware and considerate, if your dog is under close control and stays on the footpath it shouldn't be a problem. Most off leash dogs don't stay on the footpath they wander off it quite regularly as they haven't read the map. - as you say yours enjoys running and sniffing around.

We do have an active dog section with lots of other walkers with dogs.

Frankly I am finding it a bit odd to join just to have a whinge about responses on threads most of us either cannot remember or aren't aware of!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well sometimes in funny shaped fields it can happen but if your dog is under close control I don't see why that would be an issue?

teapot

Visit site
Well sometimes in funny shaped fields it can happen but if your dog is under close control I don't see why that would be an issue?

Should never be an issue if the dog is under control but that's having common sense and taking responsibility...

JFTDWS

Visit site
I too am slightly baffled as to why it would be an issue if the dog is as well trained as claimed. You enter a field, the dog is under control. You observe livestock, the dog is under control, and thus is instantly available at your side to be leashed and continue on your walk...

Of course, it rarely seems to work like that. Most "well trained" dogs I know are a disgrace to their handlers...

Auslander

Visit site
I frequently report footpaths that are grown over with crops, nettles, or where the signage is inadequate and only yesterday was forced to make a substantial diversion across farmland to avoid a face-high crop of stinging nettles across an entire stretch of footpath

That's another thing. You shouldn't have made a substantial diversion across farmland -it's private property. A footpath obstruction doesn't give you the right to wander off across private land - you retrace your steps and report it - you don't just take it upon yourself to trespass!

At least you have plenty of footpaths to explore. Riders aren't allowed on footpaths, and there are very few bridleways for us to use

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Unfortunately the problem is that there are many dogs that have not been trained properly or dog owners that are completely irresponsible.
Unfortunately while riding my horse she was attacked on a public road by a couple of dogs that brought her down and continued attacking her.
The owner of the dog was a farmer who could not care less and was reported to both the local dog warden and police.
A public footpath is such and dogs and dog walkers should remain on the route of the public footpath and not stray off it. When in a public place a dog should be under control at all times.