Dogs on leads

Moobli

Visit site
Are dog owners keeping their dogs on lead or under close control while exercising them in these lockdown conditions?
I live in the back of beyond so don’t see anyone else but a friend in a local town is seriously pissed off that when she exercises her dogs in one of the only available open spaces, she has to contend with numerous out of control dogs running up to hers while she’s training or otherwise engaging her dogs, and has even had people throw balls for their dogs to chase right towards her and this morning had one moronic owner allow their dog to pester hers to the point they had to them come close to retrieve their errant hound - and ignore the important social distancing rules. It sounds utter madness.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Nope. There are lots of dogs and owners round here that I've never seen before, and while I recognise it's their right to walk wherever they like (and it is glorious here at the moment, I can hardly blame them!) it's clear they're either travelling to do so or these dogs have only rarely been walked before.

Overweight, no recall, no manners. I had a moronic pesterer last week who ended up right next to me to catch his dog, but only when it became clear that I was about kick the damn thing, he was not the least bit bothered before that.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Nope. Also had someone who had to come and collect their dog from under my nose and the other day witnessed a golden retriever pretty much about to mate a lab, the female's owner just stood there, the male's owner jogged up abouy 30 seconds later.

And I'm sorry but if someone chucked a ball towards my dog or let their come up to mine while I was training I'd probably not be very polite in response.

Lots of dogs who've clearly had no interactions with people, runners, bikes, other dogs before, also.

{97702}

Visit site
I am ? I took my lot out yesterday and they were so excited that they decided every rustling thing in the dry leaves was a deer.... it was actually birds, which of course flew off when Marty belted after them the first time ?? In fairness to Marty he came back immediately when I called, but they were all on the lead for the rest of the walk after that ?

We didn’t see another (human) soul incidentally.... ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine need to run/train. This isn’t possible if they’re on lead. There’s been a noticeable increase in dogs being walked, some of whom I’ve never seen. My two never approach other dogs, we actively avoid others.

I do loathe the owners who see us training yet still think it’s ok to let their untrained mutt run full pelt to Zak who’s retrieving a dummy from a height or is in a sit waiting to be released. I think if you can’t recall your dog, it definitely shouldn’t be off lead where there are unknown dogs. It’s not fair on anyone.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Oh, and the increase in poo...! There's crap and crap bags left everywhere. Someone has taken to tying them to a fence on one of our regular walks, there's a whole row all strung up now, it's disgusting behaviour. The footpath there is next to an overgrown ditch, I would much rather they flicked it in there than leave it on display for months.

Smitty

Visit site
Oh, and the increase in poo...! There's crap and crap bags left everywhere. Someone has taken to tying them to a fence on one of our regular walks, there's a whole row all strung up now, it's disgusting behaviour. The footpath there is next to an overgrown ditch, I would much rather they flicked it in there than leave it on display for months.
Its not their fault though, its the council's for not providing bins every 2 yards.

The poo, bagged and unbagged has tripled in my area since lockdown. I had to muzzle my dog yesterday when I let him off as he would have had a field day and having spent £70.00 odd quid at the vets after last weeks walk when his first course consisted of something the farmer had spread on the field, followed by a pudding of 2 different lots of dog poo I decided I wasn't going to trust the little sod.

So nice to see all the plastic gloves as well ...

Moobli

Visit site
W. Yorks Police have issued a warning that loose dogs in with stock can be shot. There has been an increase in incidents over the last couple of weeks. There are a lot of idiots around! :(

Sheep attacks seem to rise year on year. Whether it actually is on the rise or just more widely reported I’m not sure, but it’s a big problem for sure. ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
That pre-supposes that the owner is willing and able to make the effort of course ??

Able being the apt word for me. I can use a longline, although mine both run full pelt and I loathe that nasty jerk at the end, it’s had me down more than once.

Until legislation comes in (god forbid we go the way of France, no outdoor exercise) I’ll keep training. If we do the up a height thing tomorrow, I’ll try to remember my phone for a wee video.

ponyparty

Visit site
I'm keeping mine on lead more than usual - but that's mainly because the ewes and lambs are now out in fields nearby. I tend to choose the public footpaths across fields over the park (both walkable within 5 mins of my front door). I've heard some stuff about farmers saying people shouldn't be using the footpaths at all - but if I go to the park I get the idiot owners, allowing their out of control dogs to come jumping all over mine, passing too close, generally being inconsiderate and ignorant, so I feel on balance it's better to go to the places where few others go. It's not as if I'm driving to get to the countryside, it's right there.
My dog has excellent recall these days, but right now I'm even more conscious of making sure I'm armed with high value treats, checking what's around before I let him off (in case there's a pheasant or something which he might be tempted to go after). If I do go to the park, any sign of another dog and he's back on lead as I just don't want to risk any incident that would require intervention/either of us touching another person's dog.

Annette4

Visit site
I went to reply yesterday to say we haven't met many and those we have have been on leads but yesterday Dobby was charged at by an off lead beagle ?

We remain using public footpaths across farmland as its the only place I can safely walk my pair without them trying to kill each other (we can walk there from our house but cats = WW3 all of the local parks are in high cat population areas).