Dogs on steroids

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My elderly collie has been on steroids for a few years.
Briefly she started falling and going disunited, walking wrongly when tired etc.
The tablets helped hugely. She started showing symptoms again, so we upped the disease, she got side effects. Drinking, panting, seemed uncomfortable so we cut back and found a happier medium. More recently she worsened. The vets suggested I think about pts. I declined as she’s ok at home. Eating, wanting to come do horses. Seemed happy.
Very recently not so good. I have been thinking it’s time, but she’s still wagging and eating.
Last week I was running out of tablets, ordered more. Said I’d collect Monday as Lab and cat had boosters due.
I admit I skimped a little, missed a few doses to tide us over.
Forgot to tell OH to collect them when he took the dog and cat so she actually missed a dose.
Collected them and got her straight back on them.
But.. she’s improved so much ?‍♀️ So without vet advice I’ve cut back down to one a day.
Today she’s had an amazing day. She’s still a bit unsteady but has been playing madly with Cecil, finding balls and playing alone. Just really cheery. I’m just absolutely thrilled to bits.
shes 16 now so time is borrowed but has anyone had improvement after cutting back on previously needed steroids?
I will chat to her vet on Monday about it but as I’ve posted before the dog he sees is very different to reality as she is terrified of the vets surgery and literally collapses.
She’s just had such a massive turnaround. Can it be real?
809CF1A1-2069-4F61-8084-FA2B4EB07A4E.jpeg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Nb I know I can’t stop. She can’t walk without them
I’m just hesitant at becoming really happy and being really cautious incase this is a thing, a sudden improvement at reducing

Bellasophia

Visit site
My apricot st poodle (auto immune issues)was on medrol for years..vet said it was mild compared to the more classically prescribed prednisone .we gave a tablet every two days.
She did well on it ,was not incontinent ,it just seemed to improve her poor appetite.Without it I think she would have not given us twelve years.

I mentioned medrol,to a walker friend whose spaniel( on classic prednisone) was literally flooding her house( weeing) and she was ready to PTS.
She switched to medrol and the dog was significantly improved.
Worth a try?at this point you have nothing to lose.
nb. Do askyour vet.

Mynstrel

Visit site
Would taking some videos for the vet help the vet get a true picture of what is going on?

This definitely, our vet asks for video quite often if the dog isn't showing at the vet what they show at home. As for the dose we've been cleared with our vet going from 2 a day to 1 a day then back again (the reduction didn't work for us) so I wouldn't have thought you're causing issues with what you've done, and if that dose works then I'd stick with it. At 16 every day is precious so if it suits her go with it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It’s medrone I think (without double checking) that she’s on.
I’ve had bit of a bad week, just so busy and yesterday had a fall, today crippled ?‍♀️ I’ve just not called the vet.
However, she’s doing so so well! My mum came round today and even she, non doggy commented on what on earth had got into Jess!
She has been properly playing with little Cecil, he at first was very cautious having been told off for so much as looking in her direction she suddenly loves him ?
Today she has been trotting (running would be a bit if an exaggeration, luckily we are horsey!) around the house with a tennis ball.
She has been asking us to throw it, we have stuck to little slow catch throws rather than chase it but she’s just doing amazing ?
It’s been suggested sometimes they come good before the end but even if that’s so I’ll be thrilled that this has happened and she’s had a wonderful time!
little miss chirpy

Bellasophia

Visit site
I’ve just looked up medrol v medrone…yours Is already containing a small amount of medrol plus a steroid..so looks like she’s already on a form of it..maybe it’s kicking in.
It’s great when they rally,I treasure every day now with my girl.You know they are on borrowed time,it’s a gift.
I hope you have a fast heal yourself,you really could do without the extra drama.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my collie cross was doing really well and i was talking about her to my neighbour when we were both in the garden and i said i was worried that i might let her go on too long but as soon as she doesnt eat i will know its time. the very next day she didnt want her breakfast but seemed ok wandering around as usual. fast forward to 5pm and she lost the use of her back legs so the decision was made because of the 2 things which had happened and the fact she was 15 and i didnt think it would be fair to go through diagnostics etc. a bit of a long story but if yours is still eating and seems happy i would carry on. its unusual for a vet to suggest PTS so might be worth videoing her at home so he can get a better idea of what stage she is at. hope she stays well for you

GSD Woman

Visit site
My apricot st poodle (auto immune issues)was on medrol for years..vet said it was mild compared to the more classically prescribed prednisone .we gave a tablet every two days.
She did well on it ,was not incontinent ,it just seemed to improve her poor appetite.Without it I think she would have not given us twelve years.

Just out of curiosity, did your standard poodle have Addison's disease? I understand it is common in the breed.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Hi. GSD..She had issues from one year old..started with explosive,bloody diarrhea,temp of 40 C and was rushed to ER..every test done to identify cause..no real result..described as “addisonian “,but not addisons per se.(tested)
Years of erratic health,weight loss,and at her worst had 40 skin ulcers..biopsied and found to contain a resistant strain of proteus bacteria.She went on medrol and long term, low dose flagyl as a last ditch attempt to boost her low immune system( Ana diagnosed)..and seemed to turn a corner.
She was also diagnosed low thyroid..( eutirox meds for life),and paled out to a cream during her prediagnosis..the meds caused her to regain her deep colour..remarkable.
Later kidney issues followed ☹️
The next dog was my silver boyfrom sweden..night and day re health..no issues at all in nine years.He came from rigorously health tested dogs and is what a st poodle should be.( my first st poodle from uk was also a very healthy dog, but did have 3 seizures in her life)
The addisons is a problem in many lines,often not showing up until the dog is an adult.