Dogs on UK trains

islander

Visit site
Next year, Covid permitting, l would like to visit the UK. I want to bring three small dogs with me and would need to travel from the port by train to where my relatives live. Would l be allowed to take the dogs by train, the websites say two are permitted free of charge but there is no information about taking more? Obviously l would be willing to pay.

ruby930

Visit site
Hi ?

I’m in the uk and have 4 dogs that travel on the train with me and my little sister

Unfortunately there is a maximum of 2 dogs per passenger and the must be kept in cages/on leads at all times

I’m not sure if that’s on all trains or just the ones I go on?

islander

Visit site
Hi ?

I’m in the uk and have 4 dogs that travel on the train with me and my little sister

Unfortunately there is a maximum of 2 dogs per passenger and the must be kept in cages/on leads at all times

I’m not sure if that’s on all trains or just the ones I go on?

Thank you, ruby930,
May l ask which routes you use? Looks as though l shall have to leave them behind or just take one or two.

Visit site
I would say its very likely if theres a ruling of a maximum of two dogs on some routes, its most likely to apply to all routes.

My parents travel in the UK with one dog but it must be on a lead and must stay on the floor at all times.

Im sure you have but if you are outside of UK/Ireland, check entry rulings for pets to the UK (and returning to where you are) well in advance of when you travel as once Brexit has all gone through, the rules are changing for import/export of all animals (We've recently moved from UK to Denmark and the EU pet passport for our cat we had to get issued in the UK, we were made aware that it is void once Brexit has happened.

paisley

Visit site
Next year, Covid permitting, l would like to visit the UK. I want to bring three small dogs with me and would need to travel from the port by train to where my relatives live. Would l be allowed to take the dogs by train, the websites say two are permitted free of charge but there is no information about taking more? Obviously l would be willing to pay.

So, firstly, use the UK government advice regarding pet entry into the UK (keep an eye, it may be updated as needed)
https://www.gov.uk/bring-pet-to-uk

There may be the option of 'sail and rail' (currently suspended due to COVID19) for short crossings with Stena ferries in the future. I've used it and it was really good. I had to travel back from Ireland with a sulky whippet and two massive suitcases (one for me, one for him :rolleyes:). I chose the very early crossing as the hold can get really hot, and I certainly wouldnt travel mine in summer in the day (done a lot of travel with horses and it really does heat up down there)

Dog slept under my feet on his blanket on the train. Loads of people helped with the luggage heaving on and off trains. It might be worth seeing how your dogs like the train, mine got a bit stressed and hot which wasnt great knowing how long the journey would be.

I wouldnt know about three dogs, the rule is a small one can be in a crate, and stay with you. Otherwise dogs have to go into the ferry kennels, and these are very, very basic. The staff are great at letting you see them, but you'l need a bed/blanket as they are just heavy duty metal cages. I know there is a ferry with a long crossing from Spain where the kennels look better and I think you can walk them on the dog promenade.

Probs best to see which ferry line near to you will take pets and send them an email.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Depending on the carrier/route the facilities now are much better now, kennels with a dedicated deck/walking area and even dog friendly cabins.
I keep mine in the vehicle and use the visiting facility as it's just less stress for all concerned (depends on what yours are used to though).

islander

Visit site
Thank you everyone.
l am used to travelling with my dogs on boats, l am on the Isle of Man so no entry restrictions to the UK usually. Covid makes things different, but hopefully by next year things will be better, Brexit may change things too.

l have taken dogs on UK trains in the past (we only have a steam railway here) and got on fine but never three at once, will rethink my plans and probably just take one, much easier all round.

Henry02

Visit site
Can one of your relatives come on the train to “pick you up”. You could then split the dogs between you. I’d imagine it would be easier if they are small enough to go in a pet carrier rather than having them on leads