Dogs penis

quirky

Visit site
The tip of Stanley's penis has been sticking out all day, not much of it, just a little bit.

Is this normal?
Having only had bitches, I am not too familiar with boy bits and their behaviour :eek:
It's not bothering him, he's been for a wee more than once today :).

quirky

Visit site
Wow, 95 views in 3 1/2 hours and nobody can answer a question about dog penises :confused:.

And there was me thinking AAD was full of experts :rolleyes:;):D.

PolarSkye

Visit site
OK - wading in where no'one else will dare to tread ;).

I have a boy dog . . . I am not a vet . . . I am just chucking observations out there.

Does it look enlarged at all? Is he licking it/does he appear uncomfortable? If the answer to both of those questions is no then I would say it's just boys being boys. Fred's sometimes seems to make an appearance for no apparent reason . . . ditto my friends with boy dogs . . . perhaps it just needs an airing from time to time?

Hope that helps. If you're really worried, ring your vet.

P

quirky

Visit site
OK - wading in where no'one else will dare to tread ;).

I have a boy dog . . . I am not a vet . . . I am just chucking observations out there.

Does it look enlarged at all? Is he licking it/does he appear uncomfortable? If the answer to both of those questions is no then I would say it's just boys being boys. Fred's sometimes seems to make an appearance for no apparent reason . . . ditto my friends with boy dogs . . . perhaps it just needs an airing from time to time?

Hope that helps. If you're really worried, ring your vet.

P

Thank you PS.

I'm not overly worried, had I been, I would've called the vet :).
I just wondered if it was normal for it to be out all the time.

He was gnawing it last night, in a playful way, so maybe he's irritated it a bit :(.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
well I have 2 boy dogs. They 'have the tip out' so to speak sometimes if sitting weirdly - I have a Patterdale who sits on his stump tail, hind legs stretched infront like an old man. He also has it out if he is after mounting the bitch (he has been done oh yes!!) but as for having the tip (lipstick out!) on permanent display 'no'. I would say try googling but don't do that you will get everything but a correct answer.

Ask your vet - they should give some phone advice for this. :D

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Thank you PS.

I'm not overly worried, had I been, I would've called the vet :).
I just wondered if it was normal for it to be out all the time.

He was gnawing it last night, in a playful way, so maybe he's irritated it a bit :(.

sorry this made me laugh..........when you said he was gnawing at it!! I can imagine a bloke saying 'he does that because he can!' sorry my warped sense of humour! :D

Spudlet

Visit site
Gnawing - yikes:eek::p;):D Dirty boy:p:rolleyes:

All you hear in my house some evenings is 'Leave it alone! It'll drop off!' :D However, Henry restrains himself as far as actual gnawing goes, he prefers to have special little moments with his blanket instead:eek:

I'd keep an eye on it, ring the vets if it's still out tomorrow and maybe discourage any future gnawing activity:p

Vizslak

Visit site
Id be slightly concerned to be honest if its been out ALL day?! Would give the vet a ring myself for some advice.

Vizslak

Visit site
ETA bit late to ring now unless emergency (ie if he shows any other signs of discomfort or illness, running a fever, puking etc) Give a ring in the morning if it is still out.

ladyt25

Visit site
Hmm, there was something on some vet programme a while back where a dog had this problem. Can't remember what prog it was, think that clinic think they did on CH4 or something? Anyway, the dog in question had a problem with his penis, I believe it may have been swollen or the sheath was too tight or something so it was getting stuck, sore and the dog was getting irritated by it. I believe they had to do a small operation to loosen the skin/sheath around it so it could go back in? It may therefore be worth getting it checked out if he keeps at it. I think in the meantime (ie before the op) the owner was told she had to pop it back in for the dog!

ETA - think Phimosis is the condition I am thinking of (had a quick Google). Couldn't find a link to the programme I saw though.

Last edited:

quirky

Visit site
Hmm, there was something on some vet programme a while back where a dog had this problem. Can't remember what prog it was, think that clinic think they did on CH4 or something? Anyway, the dog in question had a problem with his penis, I believe it may have been swollen or the sheath was too tight or something so it was getting stuck, sore and the dog was getting irritated by it. I believe they had to do a small operation to loosen the skin/sheath around it so it could go back in? It may therefore be worth getting it checked out if he keeps at it. I think in the meantime (ie before the op) the owner was told she had to pop it back in for the dog!

ETA - think Phimosis is the condition I am thinking of (had a quick Google). Couldn't find a link to the programme I saw though.

:eek::eek: Put it back in for him :eek:.
It is all becoming clear as to why I have always had bitches!!

I can't really tell if his sheath is swollen but this was my first thought after his enthusiasm for it last night.
He hasn't bothered with it today, it is still sticking out a little bit, so I'll see how it is tomorrow.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Can you (super gently) put the foreskin back over? It may be he's too relaxed! One of mine always his hanging out when he gets excited and needs reminding to put it away. :eek: