Dogs watching TV or looking at photos?

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Does anyone ever catch their dog watching TV? Or even better, looking at photographs? Today someone posted a nice pic of a horse on FB and I was looking at it, and Merlin got rather excited at the pic, and ran round the back of the laptop to see it (he does this with the TV when he sees a dog on there). Anyway, it surprised me to that he would recognise and see an animal in a picture.

So went to my FB page where I have various pics - and showed him some of dogs, some of himself (and his other doggy housemates) and some of me. He didn't recognise himself or my other dogs or me. He also reacted more to pics where he could see both eyes from the front rather than a profile type photo. :confused:

Has anyone ever noticed their dogs with this type of behaviour?

littlemisslauren

Visit site
Betsy watches TV. She loves Meerkat Manor, if I put it on she will stop whatever she is doing and sit to watch it.

I recorded a whole series of it. It is like my doggy babysitter!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Zak likes Animal Cops Houston or Miami, he's not fussed. He loved Olmpia and tried to get into the TV. He sits like a cat, parks his bum on my lap and watches for ages. :)

reddie

Visit site
Our jrtx will watch TV if she hears dogs barking, whining on it. She runs round the back of the tv.

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
Both my JRTs watch the TV, the youngest one sits on my lap, while I'm on the laptop and she will watch the the moving avitars, she also barks at rabbits and runs off, don't know why she is quite stupid,her mother is a deadly killer!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
my bedlington pup like Youtube' he will go right up to the screen and poke it. Was barking at it when another dog was on doing daft stuff, and tries to go behind to look at it. he also likes Skype, when my OH is on video call, he paws the screen and sometimes sort of yodels at my OH

TarrSteps

Visit site
Mine like things moving fast on a green background, so horse racing, golf etc. and sheepdog trials, which is a pretty obvious one, I guess. They're not fussed about the computer and rarely react to noise on the television although they will prick up their ears at a dog barking or a whistle.

I think dogs failed the "mirror recognition" test, whereby and animal realises it's looking at its own reflection. But they do, apparently, understand pointing, which it relatively rare in the animal kingdom.

Vizslak

Visit site
Very very occasionally the girls will watch tv, however Milo will watch it all day everyday, he is an avid goggle boxer! He loves cartoons and all disney pixar type stuff and the obvious animal programmes, all childrens programmes/films. But will literally watch anything, he recognises the coronation street theme and will run in to sit and watch wherever he is in the house (got very upset and confused when they ran an advert that included the theme and there was no programme to watch!). He quite likes anything with police in oddly. I'm also ever amazed that he appears to recognise animated animals as animals. He tends to get closer to the tv when real animals are on and he does the same with cartoon animals which I thought was very interesting. He did an 'animal reaction' a while ago to a cartoon animal that I could barely recognise as an animal!
ETS he also has never done the typical dog thing of looking behind the tv

WeedySeaDragon

Visit site
Our eldest has never been remotely interested in watching the TV, though he'll react to a doorbell and very, very occasionally lots of barking (like footage of a kennels or something).

The younger one loved to watch before her cataracts got too bad for her to see. Her favourites were Planet Earth and Life of Mammals (the African wild dogs were always her favourite!!) and she'd know what we were settling down to watch as soon as she heard David Attenborough :D Since she's had her cataracts removed we've noticed that she's starting to watch again, usually things where there's obviously some kind of animal running around.

unicornleather

Visit site
My JRT goes mad and barks at any dogs on the tv, he jumps up the screen to get at them, watching any of the police dog programs is noisy to say the least, the more the police dogs bark at people the more he goes mad and his real pet hate is the specsavers advert where the old man shears the sheepdog by accident. He can be upstairs but as soon as he hears the music and the man whistling the dog, he's off to the tv like the devil himself is after him.
He also goes mad if he sees cats, squirrrels, rats or rabbits on the tv too!
Our other dogs don't bother with it.
Oz :)

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I've noticed that Merlin seems to recognise some of my friends voices on video - but I was absolutely astounded that he seemed to recognise animal pictures from still photography rather than moving pictures.

mollichop

Visit site
I can't watch anything with dogs barking as Pads drives me mad barking back but looking out of the window as he thinks it's a real dog.

Managed crufts this year though every evening and he just looked intently at the telly.

Hector almost disappeared down the back of the tv cabinet a few months ago when a pheassie took off sqawking on countryfile :eek: :D

Spudlet

Visit site
Henry fell off the sofa when a phessie went up on the TV once. He was snozzing and he kind of half jumped up to find it, lost his footing and SPLAT:D He also howled like a little wolfie when he was asleep and a nature programme had wolves on - I think the sound must have got into his dream. In general he doesn't care too much about TV or pictures though. He pricks his ears if dogs bark on the TV, but that's about it. It's all about the smells for him, I think.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
My dogs favourites are wildlife programmes. She instantly recognises the movement of other animals and birds and watches with interest (usually from the sofa), somtimes getting off the sofa to poke the telly with her nose!

She also like sport. Her favourites are golf and snooker - she likes watching the balls roll across the screen.

hunting mad

Visit site
My little westie,called Pippin gets very confused watching Aunty mabel the childrens program with the aeroplane
Pippin cant work out who is calling to her from inside the television!!!
She tilts her head from side to side

Native Speaker

Visit site
Tugg, our old BT, showed not the slightest interest in watching TV or looking at piccys.

Bear, however, is different. (And how!:D) He's not too fussy about what he watches on TV - the louder and brighter it is, the better! :eek: Anything vaguely furred or feathered has him glued, but he's never felt the need to have a peek behind the telly at any time.

He quite likes sitting next to me as I browse the net, and AAD is his favourite!:D I'm not kidding! He loves looking at piccys and vids the rest of you post, so keep 'em coming, if only for Bear's entertainment! ;):D

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
My Goldie's particular faves are Baboons with Bill Bailey, Meerkat Manor, Planets Funniest Animals, Send In The Dogs etc etc etc!
She also LOVES adverts with dogs or anything small and fast running about in.
She loves my laptop and thinks its for her everytime I open it xD
244340_10150196118428279_508808278_6787253_3045190_o.jpg

:D
K x