Dogs with items stuck in throat

snurse

Visit site
This really follows on from 'RIP Daisy' post. It got me wondering if there is anything you can do if this sort of thing happens. I mean, toddlers you turn upside down and bang their backs. Adults you try the Heimlich. Is there a doggy equivalent? Anyone know?

Dougie

Visit site
firstly try retiving said item with ur hand...possibly nit the best way but silly vizsla creature is forever eating things he shouldnt so its second nature for him to get my hand down his throat. failing that and if miles from vet and dog going blue...u can try pushing the item down the throat, if it doesnt cure it kills but if dog dying anyway theres nothing to lose

IN MY OPINION
smirk.gif

Tia

Visit site
Yep I have had to stick my fingers right into one of my dogs mouth before when she had a small stick wedged in her mouth. She was pretty panicky so I did have to be quite forceful in holding her still whilst I retrieved said object. Mind you she's quite a lively little sucker at the best of times LOL!!

smokeybabes

Visit site
I did wonder if my friend had tried a Heimlich type thing would it have helped, but don't know if it would of, or if she'd know how to do it.
My friend tried to reach down the dogs throat but could only feel the ball with the tip of her fingers and couldn't grab it.
If i ahd a dog choking in front of me and i couldn't reach whatever it was i think i'd try a slap on back/heimlich type thing. Anything to try and help.

Tia

Visit site
Trouble with putting your fingers down the throat is that you could inadvertantly push the object further down and end up completely choking the dog. I'm really not too sure what I would do if it were a ball stuck down the throat....apart from once it was out, to throw it away and buy a bigger ball.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Found this:

Below are basic First Aid steps which can come in handy for a choking dog:

If Your Dog Is Choking, But Remains Conscious

1. With two hands, open your dog's mouth and look inside to see if you can see the object. If you can see it, try your best to remove it.

2. If you cannot see the object, place your dog on its side and elevate the hindquarters.

3. Now place your hand below the rib cage and another on the dog's back. Press in and then up, all in one fluid motion. Keep pressing until the object is coughed up.

4. If the object does not come up then your dog may become unconscious. If this happens, then follow the steps below.

If Your Dog Becomes Unconscious

1. As stated above, be sure that the dog is placed on his side with elevated hindquarters.

2. Open the airway and be sure the tongue is pulled out as far as possible and placed to the side.

3. Now perform several compressions in the same area that you had attempted to press in the rib cage. After two to three compressions, check the mouth for any foreign objects by using the sweep of your finger.

4. Now give the dog a few breaths.

5. Repeat this cycle of compressions, finger sweeps, and artificial respiration breaths until your dog starts breathing by himself and dislodges the object.