Dogs with short legs, harnesses and mud...

{97702}

Visit site
Do you have more than one harness so you can wash/rotate them? Or do you just dry the harness out each time and put it back on the dog?

It’s never a problem I’ve had before, but I’m finding out how difficult it is having a dog like George who is so close to the ground 😂 He gets filthy, ploughing through mud and puddles in his best 4x4 terrier mode, and so does his harness 🙄

Sandstone1

Visit site
I've got a mud daddy which helps clean them off after muddy walks. I've got a help um up harness for my old girl which does get muddy. I've only got the one as they are very expensive so I wash it when its dirty and it dries quite quickly.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a short legged dog I don't use a harness in winter I just leave a collar on when walking, but I mainly use a slip lead so she has nothing left on then but she is very trustworthy she never runs off, then on return I put her in the sink and just wash her legs and tummy you only need a few inches of water then I just towel dry her.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The spaniel has two harnesses. There's usually one that is dry or at least just damp. Given that within 5 seconds of bring let off the lead he'll be utterly sodden again I don't worry too much about putting a damp harness back on. I have started not using the harness for walks where they'll be mostly off lead which has prolonged the life of his current harnesses.

{97702}

Visit site
I think it will be a second harness then.... sadly George can’t be off the lead (even though he loves it) because he randomly attacks other dogs without any provocation 🙄 and he has to have a harness because of his partially collapsed trachea 🙄 Bless him, it’s a good job he is so totally adorable 😂

planete

Visit site
I just put all the muddy harnesses in the washing machine on the rinse cycle after a walk. As it is all nylon, it dries very quickly. The mud/water gathering long haired terrier also gets bundled into a warm drying coat with a wide tummy band to keep his damp undercarriage warm while he finishes drying as he has a tendency to stiffen up if not mollycoddled a bit these days.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh gosh, is this something else that I ought to guilt trip about o_O? I’ve only just got the elderly JRT his first harness, I’ve always clipped the lead to his collar up to now. He and the new harness went through a lot of this yesterday on our flooded roads:-

A293124C-54DC-4D51-B783-2BCDF6567F07.jpeg

And all I did was to hang the harness on the back of a kitchen chair and let it drip dry. Though he doesn’t have more than one off premises walk a day, so it nearly dried out overnight.

{97702}

Visit site
Well I threw George’s harness into the heap with all dog leads yesterday after a very very wet muddy walk so it was still really wet today, that was my main reason for the question really 😊

Today I’ve been slightly more sensible and put it over a radiator to dry!

I’ve ordered him a spare one as well, I’ve never met a dog that loves mud as much as he does

deb_l222

Visit site
Willow gets her Halti in a state most days because she's an idiot and still pulls and drools and generally mucks about.

In the summer, I blast it with the hosepipe and just hang it outside to dry but wintertime, do the same thing but hang it on the radiator. The synthetic collars/harnesses don't take too long to dry.

Mister Ted

Visit site
Do you have more than one harness so you can wash/rotate them? Or do you just dry the harness out each time and put it back on the dog?

It’s never a problem I’ve had before, but I’m finding out how difficult it is having a dog like George who is so close to the ground 😂 He gets filthy, ploughing through mud and puddles in his best 4x4 terrier mode, and so does his harness 🙄
I have two which I can wash and dry by the time he needs them again.. harnesss that is.!