Domosedan gel

Pineapple1020

New User
Visit site
Has anyone used domosedan gel on a horse that would typically need the vet out for proper sedation? If administered properly, does it have the same effect as the ones the vet injects or is it slightly weaker?

My cob was completely knocked out from 1 sedation and didn’t need topping up when he was clipped last so I’m hoping the gel will be effective? Has anyone had experiences where it was given to the horse correctly but it still didn’t work?

thanks

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
It's not as strong as vet sedation and as it takes half an hour to take effect you can't top up.

It is just enough for mine for clipping though you still have to be careful and quick however I have vets sedation for teeth as he would periodically come out of it.

ihatework

Visit site
I found it as effective as IV for clipping a seriously phobic/tricky horse. But I found I was limited in time, so only had about 30 mins to get done what I needed to.

sjdress

Visit site
I found it just as effective as IV , IF given correctly. Otherwise it doesn’t work as well. I find it takes about 45 mins to take effect but lasts just as long and really does knock her out! If I have not managed to get it under her tongue then it hasn’t taken enough effect so it definitely needs to be administered correctly.

Elno

Visit site
I found it just as effective as IV , IF given correctly. Otherwise it doesn’t work as well. I find it takes about 45 mins to take effect but lasts just as long and really does knock her out! If I have not managed to get it under her tongue then it hasn’t taken enough effect so it definitely needs to be administered correctly.

This is exactly my experience too with Domosedan. If you manage to deliver the whole dose under the tongue the effect is very similar to an IV sedation.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Think it totally depends on the horse tbh. My Connie 'refused' to be sedated a couple of times - even after a couple of notches of gel, and then vet intramuscular injection, he was still running us ragged around his stable. Whereas if they're generally pretty chill and allow it to take effect, some are dead to the world just from an oral dose.

Nicnac

Visit site
Having just emptied a whole syringe into my ID for the dentist, agree it's fine as long as they are relaxed when you give it. If not the adrenaline can fight it; it's less effective than IV sedation as can't easily be topped up due to time it takes to work. My horse is still 'awake' with a whole syringe but more compliant. I do wait a good 40-45 minutes however as find it takes that long to really be effective. Whilst it's working we play wrestle shetland to have her teeth done. My dentist is a saint!

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
My experience is that it's not as strong as vet iv sedation. But I have been able to use a whole tube to clip my 14hh, but it takes about 45 mins to work, and we nearly ran out of time.

criso

Visit site
With mine it takes effect but adrenaline can snap him out of it and he fights. Definitely give it properly rubbing it into the mucous membranes so he can't swallow or spit and give him a whole tube when weight wise he doesn't need it all.
As I said it's ok for clipping where he only needs the edge taken off but not for other things.

Enfys

Visit site
I use it all the time, as everyone says, get it under the tongue and it is very effective. I have never had it not work although sometimes it is trial and error on dosage.
I always have a couple of syringes spare.

criso

Visit site
I don't think anyone here is saying it doesn't work, just that it's not as effective as iv sedation. Some horses fight sedation more than others. I've seen them fight and come out of vet sedation too.

orangepony

Visit site
I've found it to work best when rubbed directly into the gums. For one of mine that is syringe phobic, I apply it by hand (double rubber gloved!) directly under her top lip and rub in.

Totally knocks her out, and reduces the adrenaline response associated with the syringe application.

Mrs G

Visit site
It’s always always worked on my otherwise over-reactive TB. It does take at least half an hour, if not 45 mins to take full effect and once he’s ‘under’ it takes ages to wear off. The only other thing I’d warn about is ive seen horses sweat profusely with it - which would make clipping difficult!

Jules111

Visit site
It often depends on the horse. I've had a pony fight it and as a result not really sedated, slower but still definitely able to put up a fight. I've also had a 16hh horse have a full syringe and actually worried I've caused lasting damage when literally 4 hrs later the horse was still out of it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve only used it one one horse but half a tube was as good as IV seds. He was out cold, it did take 40 mins approx for the full results

Northern Hare

Visit site
I found it worked as well as IV Sedation, although administering it took some trial and error. In the end I found that if he had his bridle on with a drop noseband done up fairly firmly, I could insert the syringe into the corner of the mouth by his bit, and apply the gel down between the lips and the gum. He couldn't then easily spit it out or swallow it.

...ps.... also make sure there are no dogs /cats around to hoover up any dropped Dormosedan before it's cleared up...