Doncaster sales- I don't want my colt to go!!

wildhorses

Visit site
I posted on here about yearling prep some while ago and now already the sales are upon us. My beloved Bully is going and I am taking him.

Firstly I am devastated. Crazy I know. I know he's going to be sold and that's what the last 6? 8? weeks have all been about, but now I am so worried about how I will do without him and after todays behaviour, how he will do without me. We have a an Irish guy working with us for the sales season, he's a lovely chap, very calm and quiet with the horses so someone I would let handle Bully. On Sunday, when the Irish lad brought him in from the field he reared and boxed out. He hasn't done that for weeks, today when he went to get him in Bully was on his back legs and almost got him. I know that colt so well (was there when he foaled) and he has never been nasty, he reared a bit out of exuberance in the first week or two of hand walking but not at anyone. I think today might have been inappropriate play, I can't think of him as aggressive and he certainly has done anything like that to me. He is a lamb in the stable, ok, he is a colt and he grabs things and can nip if you don't watch him, but that's it, but what life is he going to have in training if he can't cope with strangers?

Secondly I have never been to the sales before and don't know what to expect. What if I can't get him to stand up properly? He is looking amazing, his coat gleams and he is fit and muscled, I am very proud of him, but just a mass of mixed emotions about it all a the moment.

I have one very special filly to look after, but she's quirky and sensitive, she ousted the tooth man from her stable before he could even take a look at her and wouldn't let anyone other than me in to catch her. She is quite kissy and a built like a giraffe but I prefer colts and she isn't Bully.

I'd like to say I can keep my distance from them and that it's all fine but I can't and if I could I probably wouldn't be able to do my job but Bully has got to me more than most.

cundlegreen

Visit site
We've got two going up on Sat, and will be pleased to see them go. One's a PITA, and very colty yet immature. Its been great fun walking him around a 20 acre field, waiting for him to explode! We have more coming in, and some are so valuable, that you just want to see them gone before something happens to them. As you say, they are fed right up and really muscled, so the sooner they go into training, the better. How's your boy bred? Early 2 year old??

wildhorses

Visit site
He is by Makfi, out of a Fantastic Light mare. He should be a good a two year old, he's well developed and Makfi is fairly popular at the moment so we are hoping for a good sale. Bully is near identical to his sire and we have another one, slightly bigger version going to Tatts october 2.

What are the sales like?

cundlegreen

Visit site
He is by Makfi, out of a Fantastic Light mare. He should be a good a two year old, he's well developed and Makfi is fairly popular at the moment so we are hoping for a good sale. Bully is near identical to his sire and we have another one, slightly bigger version going to Tatts october 2.

What are the sales like?

I haven't been to the new complex, its been years since I showed horses up there. The straw and hay quality was always very bad, hope that's improved. hope you are feeling fit, as you may be doing a lot of walking!