Done to death - grazing muzzles which don't rub

palo1

Visit site
Flexible filly 100%. By far the kindest muzzle I’ve used. So much more freedom around the nostrils and chin.
They look ideal but I am hesitant to buy one because one of our horses is likely to want to play with his friend's muzzle :( They look easily ripped (especially by a playful 17hh hooligan!) Does anyone know if this, is, indeed a problem?

holeymoley

Visit site
They look ideal but I am hesitant to buy one because one of our horses is likely to want to play with his friend's muzzle :( They look easily ripped (especially by a playful 17hh hooligan!) Does anyone know if this, is, indeed a problem?

I’ve never had this issue so can’t really be 100% sure but I can’t see how anything would be able to grab it to bite it? Although plyable and soft it’s quite a strong plastic so I don’t think it would rip.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

They rip very easily. I carefully enlarged the hole in mine and it ripped within a day.

I wouldn't trust them turned out with a playful biter.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I should have made it round and I didn't and in spite of rounding the "corners" it ripped really easily, just from her eating grass through it. . I can't imagine it standing up to being grabbed by another horses teeth.

palo1

Visit site
I should have made it round and I didn't and in spite of rounding the "corners" it ripped really easily, just from her eating grass through it. . I can't imagine it standing up to being grabbed by another horses teeth.

Yes, I thought this. I don't know that the one gelding will play bitey games with my mare as she doesn't generally tolerate that but I don't want to spend £80 only to have it chewed on :( I had wondered if it were possible to make something similar if I could find the right kind of polymer. If not there are other muzzles available which I can try at less cost until I know how the silly gelding will behave!!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Yes, I thought this. I don't know that the one gelding will play bitey games with my mare as she doesn't generally tolerate that but I don't want to spend £80 only to have it chewed on :( I had wondered if it were possible to make something similar if I could find the right kind of polymer. If not there are other muzzles available which I can try at less cost until I know how the silly gelding will behave!!
You could try the heat form sheets, though it wouldn’t be flexible when cooled down so still might rub :/. I’m happy to take technical drawings (or a CAD file if that’s useful to you) of mine when it turns up?

palo1

Visit site
You could try the heat form sheets, though it wouldn’t be flexible when cooled down so still might rub :/. I’m happy to take technical drawings (or a CAD file if that’s useful to you) of mine when it turns up?

That is really kind thank you DF :) :) I haven't quite decided which direction to go in yet tbh. The mare is not terrifyingly fat, is in increasing work over plenty of hills and we have at least a month yet before we will be turning out. I have a dry (currently muddy!) turn out paddock too as well as a number of muzzling options so I have a few things up my sleeve!! I just found it a bit worrying to fork out so much money for a bendy polymer shape...I know that Thinline should be paid for their product and that represents research and development costs and investment. I am just too tight for my own good!!

Spangles

Visit site
Dinky muzzle rubbed the little one, fine on the bigger one and I liked how lightweight it was in comparison to normal grazing muzzles, but they are through it in a matter of days, it wasn't at all durable.

The shires deluxe (not the fluffy one) is sort of shaped/contoured so fits better than standard bucket muzzles. Never had any rubbing with those (but annoyingly she started to refuse to eat out of it)

I have one of the easy breathing 'ultimate muzzles' at the moment, they advise to size up but it rubs probably worse than any others I've tried.

Never had issues with the greenguard but ours were one of the first generation ones, the newer ones look much harder plastic

The new Greenguards are very hard, wore our ponies teeth ! The flexible filly ones look softer but a faff with all the cable ties ???

scats

Visit site
The new Greenguards are very hard, wore our ponies teeth ! The flexible filly ones look softer but a faff with all the cable ties ???

It’s only a faff the first time you put it together. Took me about 10 minutes. Once it’s done, it’s done for good and is just there on the end of a headcollar ready to be used.

J&S

Visit site
I am interested to know why some of you feel the need to enlarge the (eating) hole in a Flexible Filly, am considering getting one for my companion pony, frankly the less she can get to the better!

scats

Visit site
I am interested to know why some of you feel the need to enlarge the (eating) hole in a Flexible Filly, am considering getting one for my companion pony, frankly the less she can get to the better!

For me it was because the hole was very small and I knew that my girls would have more chance accepting it if they could get a little more through it.

holeymoley

Visit site
Likewise. It was very small, my horse wouldn’t have done anything with it except knock it off anything he could find or run it along the ground. By enlarging it he could get some grass through but enough to limit him substantially more than he would be consuming without the muzzle. I only enlarged mine approx 1-2mm more than the original hole.