Done to death- sorry! Best wood pellets

poiuytrewq

Visit site
This year I'm actually going to have to order some as with an extra horse its about all I can afford!
Dustiness and cost are my priorities so which brand/company do I go with? Pref around the £250 per tonne mark.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes I know I HATE verdo with a passion and would never buy them again.
I have about 6 bags of LWP left over from my last order ages ago- I found them dusty? That was going into summer though.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Liverpool, I thought were ok, however I found a local wynnstay store that could supply balcas brites which for me was handy and they were a fair price I thought.
They were the best quality for the price that I found.
It was my first year on wood pellets and once I got used to them I liked them much better than shavings.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yeah, I really quite like them in general. I did the first winter on five star but had the more expensive range (delivered by accident!) They were brilliant but cant really afford them again tbh!

RubysGold

Visit site
I don't know the answer but I'm planning to buy the cheaper 5 star pellets this year and see what they are like.
I used to get the Liverpool ones but the courier service drove me mad so I ended up using shavings.
Hoping 5 star will have better service

glamourpuss

Visit site
Do any of you use wood pellet without rubber matting?
My new stables are pretty huge so I've only been able to rubbermat 2 of them, wondering if it would still work having all 4 on wood pellet (just deeper beds for those without matting)

eggs

Visit site
I have rubber mats and about a 6" wood pellet bed. I think they would work fine without mats if you had a deep enough bed.

My favourite are Aquamax but they are more expensive so I mainly use Five Star Professional. Wouldn't use Verdo.

Tried straw pellets but unfortunately some of the horses treated them like an all you can eat buffet and as I was worried about colic I had to move them into different stables with wood pellets.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I use Sorbeo - I never used to use them but on the yard we only have easibed or sorbeo and I prefer using sorbeo. They're quite economical if you put a few bags in to start with then you only need a bag a week to top up (I'm using 2/3 a week for a box rested horses which is pretty decent!).

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
£320 for a tonne of Corley bio wood (includes delivery) which is what I'm using currently. I remember this being the cheapest I could source at the time, cheaper than LWP whose communication was awful.

If anyone can tell me cheaper pellets, let me know, I've only got a few bags left!

Rlister89

Visit site
I'm thinking about the Five Star pellets this winter as found they were the best out of the ones i've tried, my horse coughs on straw etc but even in summer with those down i didn't add much water and he was fine. I've never bought by pallet load before as always got a few bags at a time but noticed online you can order at 5% and 20% depending on whether its horse bedding or heating material. Is there anything stopping you 'accidentally' clicking the 5% vat? Would be delivered to home rather than yard so not sure if they do any kind of checks to make sure how your using it? I realise this could be a really silly question but thought i'd ask to possibly save some money!

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Must admit, I don't understand why people don't like Verdo. I compared the price against LWP etc and it works out cheaper. I pay 4.75 per 15kg bag and my supplier does free delivery.

I have been very happy with them. Last year I used them without mats and had a thicker layer (in winter had shavings on top).Now I am using them with mats underneath.

Nari

Visit site
I've been using Sorbeo for a while & am happy with them. I don't have mats so I use them as a semi-deep litter bed & it works well for me.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Rlister89 I've had mine delivered home with no problem other than having to hand ball them from the side of the road- shed- car- yard!
Also had them delivered to the yard no problem. The courier driver wouldn't know or care!
I've also never paid 20% vat on them.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Must admit, I don't understand why people don't like Verdo. I compared the price against LWP etc and it works out cheaper. I pay 4.75 per 15kg bag and my supplier does free delivery.

I have been very happy with them. Last year I used them without mats and had a thicker layer (in winter had shavings on top).Now I am using them with mats underneath.

Have you ever tried another pellet though?
When I used Verdo I had to buy a whole extra pallet every year to do the same job, so they don't work out cheaper. Plus they turned into a depressing brown pudding as they weren't very absorbent and very dark to start with.

9tails

Visit site
White Horse Platinum. No contest.

ETA Verdo are DREADFUL! Caps to ensure my hatred of these pellets is noted. Dark, damp rubbish, they don't absorb the wet and stink to high heaven. I couldn't care less if they were half the price of other pellets, you couldn't pay me to use them.

Last edited:

9tails

Visit site
OK you've all got me convinced to try White Horse pellets... but I've just realised that I can't comply with their delivery requirements, gah.

Why? You can have them delivered kerbside and handball them to their final resting place if access is a problem. I need a 7.5 ton truck and let them know that there's restricted access.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Looked at their webpage, not seeing delivery criteria. What is it? If you get a bin lorry down your road, you can surely have a lorry deliver a pallet of pellets?

Cheiro1

Visit site
I have a 5% off discount code for White Horse if anyone wants it - it gets me £10 off my next order too!!

Their platinum plus are the best I've found - and they've re-bagged them too now = win win!

Blythwind

Visit site
I've used aquamax, Liverpool wood pellets, Verdo, five star and white horse platinum. The WH platinum are by far the best. Verdo are by far the worst.

RubysGold

Visit site
Reading that you can't have delivery made me go check as I too was ready to buy from there.
They won't deliver on a hill and I live on a hill :-/ though literally they would have to unload on the hill then push/pull the pallet straight into the level driveway, might ring them up as lwp never had any issue delivering here