donkey foalwatch thread..

ToltingDonkey

Visit site
Hello!
Okay, so P was running with a stallion from the 19th april 2013, so is getting closer to foaling, her teats have grown a tiny bit, but not at all full!
She is a maiden mare, and donkeys can go upto 2months overdue if they feel the need to! So thought i would start a foalwatch thread, this is my first foal and hers so any advice will be much appreciated!
Here are a few pictures from thursday:

What do you think belly-wise so far? She has grown rapidly the last two weeks..
will get some better pictures today!

littleshetland

Visit site
I know nothing about donkeys - but I do think they're lovely! I've always assumed they'd be like little horses/ponies but with long ears...........! I'm looking forward to seeing a little donkey foal on here and learning a bit more about them. Keep posting!

ps You know that emergency box we keep handy at foaling time with essential items in......? I always keep a bottle of red wine in mine - does that count as a useful tip?

Last edited:

ToltingDonkey

Visit site
Thankyou everyone! I plan on updating with pictures atleast once a week, I figured if I start a thread here with pictures not only will you guys be here for advice, but I will be able to see her changing in pictures, because I see her atleast three times everyday I'm worried I might miss things etc... :) if that made any sense?

eeeeek! Very excited!!

happyclappy

Visit site
i do now that the gestation for a jenny is twelve months, so longer than a horse.
can we have some ull photos so we can have a look at her face? pretty please:)

LittleGinger

Visit site
Same as everyone else - don't know much about donkeys but I DO know that baby donkeys are incredibly cute :) :) so looking forward to pics of baby! In the meantime, do you have any pics of your lovely donkey's face?

ToltingDonkey

Visit site
Thankyou for all your lovely replies! 😊
Sorry about the headless photos, P isn't the most photogenic of donkeys, most pictures of her are ears back and pulling faces! Here are some older photos of her:

Also, here are a couple of pictures of the Jack, he went to his new home about a month ago:

Sorry for the photo overload! ☺

TrasaM

Visit site
No apologies.. Lovely pics :) your jenny looks just like the donkey I had as a child. Jack is very handsome too and I love his stripy socks.

ToltingDonkey

Visit site
Thankyou!
Jack is very handsome, now gelded this will be his last foal! He passes on his stripey legs, both foals last year had stripey legs, and P also has a couple of small stripes!

one of jacks foals from last year, a tiny jenny!

happyclappy

Visit site
gorgeous donkeys. i have six currently and had others. i bred one foal, she arrived with little warning at the most common time of twelve months and two weeks.
closely watching this thread.

you really must join www.donkeyforum.co.uk. they would be thrilled to see you and join in the happy event

joeanne

Visit site
The OP....who is actually supposed to be banned if memory serves me right,
The jack was advertised "free to any old home" or she was going to have him shot.
Instead of getting the poor ****** gelded.....

FionaM12

Visit site
The OP....who is actually supposed to be banned if memory serves me right,
The jack was advertised "free to any old home" or she was going to have him shot.
Instead of getting the poor ****** gelded.....

:eek3: *backs out of thread.....*

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I have quite a bit of experience with donkeys, but not in the reproductive department. It can't be stressed strongly enough that donkeys are NOT horses with long ears. Their blood work, temperature, reaction to pain and stress are not within horse parameters. I would vigorously advise you to contact The Donkey Sanctuary in Sidmouth, Devon. They have decades of experience with donkeys of all ages and situations. The Sanctuary's years of working with all manner of donkeys have advanced the medical knowledge of this species to the point that many equine veterinary practices across the country, if not the world, seek the Sanctuary's advice when dealing with the health of their donkey clients. While the Sanctuary is not in the habit of breeding their charges, they have vast expertise with foaling down many hundreds, if not thousands, of jennies over the years. They are very helpful and you can ring them directly. Good luck and post lots of photos!

FionaM12

Visit site
This is the same person? I remember all the drama.....

IMG_39539138506976_zpsrbzot2e0.jpeg
[/URL]

Google imaging this photo does indeed take you to a previously banned member. :(

ToltingDonkey

Visit site
If you are going to try and cause trouble on a thread, then please get your facts straight or pm'ing me.
The two colts were rehomed to a lovely new home, lady also owns showjumping horses and they are being gelded.
They were not advertised 'free to any old home" and if you are going to quote someone please quote what they actually said! They were advertised free to a good home, as yes, they were going to be PTS if a good home was not found.

*** To anyone interested in peanuts pregnancy, she hasnt changed at all since thursday's pictures! ***