Donkey trouble

seaview

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have two donkeys 1 approx 30-35 and the other 35+
The younger one (female) always had a huge bulge on her side so much so after a month or so after we got her we got vet out as thought she was pregnant
blush.gif

2 years on it has got a lot bigger, its soft huggggeeeee and looks almost like it is fluid!
I know you will all say get Vet out but asked him last time he was down and his theory is its not annoying / hurting her why at her age put her through anything that may distress her!
I am very concerned though as I dont think my little man would do if anything happened to her but tbh she was rugged up all winter and even though it was taken off in intervals and she was checked etc as they are in every night I still got a bit of a shock to see it had grown so much!
Does anyone have any experience of this?
Nat
x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I knew of a Donkey that had something similar - and it was a tumour. As nothing could be done about it and the donkey was fine, than she was left alone. Obviously there did come a time when for her sake it was time to say goodbye as life did start becoming more difficult for her.

Could it be time to introduce another younger donkey in to the herd????

seaview

Visit site
AmyMay you have just said whats at the absolute front of my mind!
I dont think a younger donkey would be advisable as the wee boy I talk about just about made it through this winter with a few hairy moments himself too
frown.gif

He sometimes can be a bit (slight understatement) unsteady on his feet and I would be scared a younger donkey would be too playful if you know what I mean.
x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ahh, I was only thinking of a younger one as they are sometimes easier to intergrate in to the 'herd' environment.

Such a difficult time.....

seaview

Visit site
Its comlpicated as the older donkey is not exactly mine he was given to me and I would have to speak to old owner etc but tbh it owuld prob be something I would have to think about as they are inseperable! one would not do without the other iykwim
x

squirtlysmum

Visit site
I knew a donk who had a huge swelling on her side and indeed did look pregnant but it was a tumour she lived with this and was a happy girl for a very long time and was PTS at the grand old age of 46 as eventually her teeth gave up and she could not eat hard food. The vet said as long as she appeared pain free to leave it as it was always going to be there. Good luck with her!