Don't know what I should do

fishy

Visit site
Sorry in advance for the long post. 3 weeks ago I lost my beautiful horse in a freak trailer accident. She was diagnosed with PSD in June and had been treated for this and turned away, although this was not at my yard. I was bringing her home to start ridden rehab when she cut her leg in the trailer. She opened an artery and then damaged the hoof cartilage and I made the decision to have her pts as the vets prognosis for recovery was poor.
I've started to think about possibly getting another horse as I've been around them since I was 10 and I feel a bit lost, but I am currently helping my daughter with her cob. She's at college til 5 for 2 nights a week and works most saturdays and sundays. He is a super little cob, but he is hers. Also my husband is not horsey and thinks that I'm ok because I am still riding and going to the yard. I'm in my 40's and feel that if I don't get one soon i"m going to be too old but on the other hand doing 2 horses is time consuming and expensive. I'm seriously not sure what to do.

paddi22

Visit site
life too short, if you miss having your own and can afford it, get one! Unless your daughter doesn't mind you riding her cob and taking it out and about. I lost interest when i started college, so she might enjoy the break depending on her personality.

Firefly9410

Visit site
Get your own horse and get a sharer for your daughters cob. Why can your daughter not do the cob after college? Many people work every day until 5pm and still have their horses to do after.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
Hugs & vibes. I lost my pony suddenly many years ago so understand how you feel. l don't think your age is an issue so long as you've no health issues. l know there are afew 60+ riders that run rings round me & l'm nearly 40. When l'm not with my family l'm at the yard as much as possible.

After my pony passed away l was going to give horses a break but after spending time with friends who seemed to prefer clubbing etc l knew l loved the outdoors & fresh air too much. So after awhile l searched for a new friend & l've still got her she's nearly 20 & l'm glad she came into my life.

Personally l wouldn't make any rash decisions spend time with your daughters horse & in a month or so see how you feel. The wound is still raw at the moment & you won't be thinking straight which is only natural. Animals leave a special imprint on our lives which makes their passing harder & they cannot be replaced. But at the end of the day there is only you who can decide if you want to continue with horses in your life or take up a different hobby. Take care & l hope things work out for you

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Aww I'm sorry to hear about your mare firstly.

In regards to your question I think you need to get your own horse. It sounds like its something you really miss and I know from experience sharing someone else's is not the same as them being "yours". If you can afford it then I say go for it :)

Hilary'smum

Visit site
40's you are yet so young. If you do take a break you will still be young in ten years time. Age is relative. Was it Somerhayes who gave up hunting at 93?
Just don't stop riding.

(Hope this is more supportive than it reads ����

Petal77

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your mare. I sympathize - I lost my gorgeous boy 5 weeks ago. I couldn't stand the thought of being horseless so I looked around and am getting a potential newbie vetted tomorrow!
Do what you feel is right for you. Can you see yourself with a new horse?

Annagain

Visit site
So sorry about your mare.

I'm going to go against the grain here. If you enjoy the cob and your daughter isn't able to give him enough work, it sounds like sharing him is ideal. I assume (maybe wrongly?) she may well be off to uni in future too at which point you don't want to be left with 2 to look after.

If you do want two, could you get one on loan - either for you or your daughter - so that if she does go to uni or lose inyterest (let's face it a lot of tennagers do!) you can give him/her back and you can keep going with the cob?

Good luck, whatever you choose.