Don't understand why you clip horses in light work

EllenJay

Visit site
If they need clipping - even after 1/2 an hour - then they need clipping.

For fatties, clipping helps on the diet front = provided you don't over rug!

Tiffany

Visit site
My girl is not in heavy work but she does sweat so she's partly clipped. Makes life easier for me and she's comfortable and does catch a chill.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I'll give my semi-retired oldie a chaser in about a month's time. He turns into a moose/yak/elk and even a potter round the block would mean foaming armpits and girth area otherwise. Then he'll wear his m/w rug with neck and be happy for the winter.

My other boy, who's in more work, will get clipped out fully. If I time it right and wait until the beginning of November then rug him up cozily, I won't need to do him again which is lucky as he'll needs sedating, and even though I'm fairly efficient with the clippers, I barely have enough time to finish the job before he starts "coming round" :eek:!!

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
Exactly what Turkana said, if I were to leave my horse unclipped I wouldn't be able to work her at all during the week as I don't get to the yard until 7pm. I'm not going to leave a sweaty horse to its own devices overnight. If I didn't work and could hack during the day, spend an hour or so pottering about while she cooled off and do all the rug changes necessary, maybe I wouldn't clip but those aren't my circumstances.

Same again

ladyt25

Visit site
Horses for courses as it were - mine is clipped throughout the year as he grows a thick coat and gets far too hot and lethargic even when in light work. He hates being too warm. I do have to watch how i rug him in winter as well as can't over rug even if he's fully clipped out as he stands there twitching and looking miserable. I always have to keep him on the cololer side so very rarely will he have tonnes of rugs on like some horses!

rhodes1029

Visit site
I have 2 horses and fully clip them one including his legs.
My mare gets itchy under her coat and takes ages to dry when wet/ sweaty after been ridden then becomes itchy again. I find it the opposite - ie not easier to look after when they haven't been clipped as they are then wet and muddy etc and take longer to brush and look untidy.
My gelding has his legs off too as after several years of trial and error he gets mud fever if he has haory legs as i can't clean ot off properly due to all the hair!
I like my horses to be clean and tidy and look smart and not be sweaty and uncomfortable when ridden.
I can totally see why people don't clip too... Its all owner preferences i guess!!

LeannePip

Visit site
i've been clipping all year, pretty much a pro now ;) the showjumpers are clipped all year although they dont get that hairy, and the cushings boy has had a few clips too :) mine is on her 2nd clip of the year did 1st at the end of august she had m/w on overnight and nothing during the day when it was warm - suited everyone well - warm over night and cool during the day and had her second clip today for a fun ride next week - the hair just wont stop growing!! the same amount came off today as it did in august and even then it was what would normally come off in october! i take evrything off (head and legs too) untill the temp really drops (oct/nov) then leave the legs on as she lives out then for my last clip jan/feb everything comes off again so we dont get covered in hair come spring! she does sweat a fair bit and being part native can grow a mega coat but like others have said before she'd have a rug on regardless so i just take it all off - i find its quicker to take it all off than faff with all the lines!! mine will all probably be clipped 4/5 more times this winter to keep everyone neat and smart - nothing worse than a grown out clip imo! both of them are easy peasy to clip and i quite like doing it so theres no issue - deffinatly wouldnt clip as much if my clippers wernt beasts and the girls wernt good to clip!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Because he's mine and I'll with him what I want :D

Best years have been the last ones with snow, full clipped before Xmas and then didn't ride for 6 weeks :p

He doesnt care as I have rugs to keep him toasty, and having a grey it's the only time he looks remotely shiny and clean from all the rug wearing and short hair :)

Skippys Mum

Visit site
My boy is a sweaty, grotty minger. Brightbay will testify that we have had many a happy hack where Jackson doesn't break sweat (he actually has a lovely, silky coat) and yet Arnie is dripping all over his legs and its running off his ears.

He will be getting clipped shortly and it may well be a full clip.

I dont think its really so much of an issue these days now you can get lightweight but cosy rugs. It was far more of a problem back in the days of jute rugs and quilts!! Poor horses could hardly move for the weight of their rugs!

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
I have to clip mine, even if I don't ride him much over winter - he sweats stood in the field! The only time he has not been too warm over winter is when it was -20 - he was just about right. He is bred for Nordic winters mind you :)

Brightbay

Visit site
My boy is a sweaty, grotty minger. Brightbay will testify that we have had many a happy hack where Jackson doesn't break sweat (he actually has a lovely, silky coat) and yet Arnie is dripping all over his legs and its running off his ears.

He will be getting clipped shortly and it may well be a full clip.

I dont think its really so much of an issue these days now you can get lightweight but cosy rugs. It was far more of a problem back in the days of jute rugs and quilts!! Poor horses could hardly move for the weight of their rugs!

Arnie is much less icky since you started feeding the salt ;) Still sweaty but not foamy any more.

Oh, and Jackson is much easier to groom - even with full winter coat - since getting linseed in his bucket. Mud just doesn't stick... even mid winter, pre ride grooming takes about 3 minutes :). I admit it that helps that he's brown!

I do get the feeling that people just don't seem to like hair! I bought Jackson 6 years ago next month, and the lady who sold him offered to clip him before delivering him - OH and I were both :eek: and had to explain that his beautiful metallic winter coat was one of the reasons we'd fallen for him, I love his winter coat almost more than I love his sleek summer coat :D

1t34

Visit site
I can't believe how many people here clip their horses out. I will have one in full work, going to shows and he will have a high trace clip, no need to take off his back (it's not like he will be having a full days hunting) much better to keep his loins warm when he's exercised or out and about.

Back in the day the only horses that were clipped out were hunting or racing, ponies or anything else had a bib clip or trace if they were in a little more work.

I can only think people have loads of dosh to feed extra hard feed to keep the weight on, we used to hunt a full day on ponies with a bib clip off grass. Drying horses off isn't difficult or that time consuming and we didn't have the tons of technical of rugs that are now available. Clipping is a complete pain and the less of it the better!

showpony

Visit site
My Mare is getting quite " wolly" - nights getting cold so she is rugged up... took her in today & she was very sweaty & followed by an hours riding she was very sweaty again.... time to clip!

I can't stand hairy sweaty horses.
Anything I have in work (light or not) is clipped, the more off the better, within reason!

riding_high

Visit site
my horse spent every winter being clipped out......except last winter. every other winter he was either in hard work or box resting but was still clipped (hunter clipped), last winter he was retired so i didn't clip him but he got a chill and it was agreed that he couldn't regulate his own temperature as he had been so used to being clipped he never needed to regulate it himself.
i'd rather clip him this winter than go through him being ill again. vet agrees as well and also he is back in light work at the moment, retirement didn't suit him!

another of mine will get a low trace clip and the other will get a blanket clip although they might have more taken off if needed at a later date.

debsey1

Visit site
I can't believe how many people here clip their horses out. I will have one in full work, going to shows and he will have a high trace clip, no need to take off his back (it's not like he will be having a full days hunting) much better to keep his loins warm when he's exercised or out and about.

Back in the day the only horses that were clipped out were hunting or racing, ponies or anything else had a bib clip or trace if they were in a little more work.

I can only think people have loads of dosh to feed extra hard feed to keep the weight on, we used to hunt a full day on ponies with a bib clip off grass. Drying horses off isn't difficult or that time consuming and we didn't have the tons of technical of rugs that are now available. Clipping is a complete pain and the less of it the better!

I agree with this.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site

Yes, and I used to ride an unclipped very hairy pony who got very sweaty, I used to wearing a polo neck and a hacking jacket for hacking, along with a mahoosive white hat with NO silk. I don't wear that outfit anymore, and I would never ride a hairy horse until it got that sweaty anymore either

Things change, with modern rugs I don't have to feed my horse tonnes more, keeping weight on him is not an issue, keeping it off is! :D

Clipping is a total pain, I agree but he gets done 2/3 times a winter and maybe once in the summer if in full work - far less hassle to clip than have to deal with a sweaty horse.

Sarah1

Visit site
Because, a horse ridden twice a week isn't going to be particularly fit.

Unfit horses sweat.

Sweaty horses get cold. As do washed horses, when it's minus 5.

Clipping keeps them comfortable in work and saves time - how is throwing on a rug more work than washing, drying, removing coolers etc?

Also, my horse, my rules. :)

Agree!

My big boy is already starting to sweat now just hacking out his coat is so thick already, if I didn't clip him he'd be miserable.

charleysummer

Visit site
Cant see why rugging takes up more time?

Putting on and taking off rugs is much quicker than letting sweat dry, brushing off (or washing off in freezing temps and then drying), having to wait around to ride because there has been a bit of rain and the backs are soaked through the thick hair, grooming forever to get clumps of mud out etc...

I have seen a few times, hairy ponies being sent around jumping courses at shows in the winter- only to stand there shivering as the sweat gets cold- while the rest of the clipped horses stand there with veins up nice and toasty!

..I also love rug shopping and wrapping my horses up :D

Bertolie

Visit site
Mine will be clipped soon. He will only be hacked a couple of times a week and doesn't grow a particularly thick winter coat but he is a very sweaty horse. He will sweat during summer hacking around the block (approx 40 mins) in walk! He will get a neck and belly clip when I get around to it.

mcnaughty

Visit site
I hate hairy, sweaty horses too! I also hate moulting so its hunter clip but I leave legs and front of head.

My daughter's welsh a had the lot off last January as we show him. He doesn't moult until way into summer and then grows it again at the beginning of August!

Rugging them up is no extra hastle. I certainly do not have the time to watch my mare dry and in any case I will be hunting her this season so leaving her hairy would be wrong in all the wrong ways!

catdragon

Visit site
Because my mare gets SO itchy and literally follows you to get scratched ALL of the time... until she's clipped when she's happier. And if she gets muddy and wet - she dries far quicker.

I rug her appropriately - she's a much happier equine.

If she didn't moult - be as hairy as a yak and didn't pin me down all the time to be scratched then she wouldn't be clipped.

You have to do what suits each individual.

PrillyD

Visit site
I cant stand the hairy horses when they start shedding plus its much more comfortable for them not to get get that sweaty!

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Ours will be clipped....
one is a Cushings sufferer and in no work at all atm and the other is in medium work but has sensitive skin and would probably itch when sweaty :(
K x

Last edited:

DragonSlayer

Visit site

Why can't you believe it? Does what I do directly affect you? As for the comment about money, what concern is it of yours what I want to spend my money on?