Don't you just wish you could name and shame!!

blackbeauty86

Visit site
Just a random rant here....heard a story the other day which I was completely shocked about and couldn't believe people could get away with such things or would do such things. Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to name and shame people sometimes? But then we would be as bad as them I suppose. Oh well....we will just have to hope for Karma! :D

blackbeauty86

Visit site
Indeed, but then again there are a lot of lies and jealousy thrown around too which can hurt genuine people. But there are certain "scums" that deserve to be bitten by the Karma bug :)

benson21

Visit site
O how I wish I could name and shame!!! Then maybe there wouldnt be quite so many on here that are duped by the dealer and vet who we bought from!!! And if people were allowed to talk about it, we would never of be duped in the first place!!!

Lotty

Visit site
Yes
agree.gif
I and others have been stung by the same 'dodgey dealer' :)

hayinamanger

Visit site
Yes, I would like to name and shame the woman I sold Ruby to. I was taken in by her, I reduced the price, gave her tack and rugs, she promised to keep in touch with me. 2 weeks later she was advertised at twice the selling price, she wouldn't take my calls or answer my texts. I wanted to know why she was selling her so soon, asked if something had gone wrong, but she would not even send a text. She told my friend, who rang to enquire, that she had had the mare a year and bought her from an 'elderly couple in devon' and was selling her as she'd lost her grazing. She kept her horses at her mother's house/yard in Surrey.

I just want to know if Ruby is ok, her passport was never updated so I have nothing to go on. It's very sad.

blackbeauty86

Visit site
It happens to us all at some point I suppose as one persons opinion is competely different to anothers in terms of being recommended. In this case in particular a horse was stolen! The owner then had to go through a solicitor to get their own horse back....madness!

benson21

Visit site
So sorry for you lotty.
You are in the same problem as us, if it had been spoken about, you would of known not to go with them!

blackbeauty86

Visit site
Yes, I would like to name and shame the woman I sold Ruby to. I was taken in by her, I reduced the price, gave her tack and rugs, she promised to keep in touch with me. 2 weeks later she was advertised at twice the selling price, she wouldn't take my calls or answer my texts. I wanted to know why she was selling her so soon, asked if something had gone wrong, but she would not even send a text. She told my friend, who rang to enquire, that she had had the mare a year and bought her from an 'elderly couple in devon' and was selling her as she'd lost her grazing. She kept her horses at her mother's house/yard in Surrey.

I just want to know if Ruby is ok, her passport was never updated so I have nothing to go on. It's very sad.

OMG that's horrendous!! :O I really hope you find her or find out if she's ok. Its such a shame to say but there are people out there like that, you just don't know who to trust these days.

Visit site
Some people are convinced that they can get away with anything! I'm not going to say any names or any details, but a dealer in our area is selling horses as 4 year olds when they are really 3! :mad:

blackbeauty86

Visit site
I know that is what is so annoying! Poor, unexpecting buyers will come along and buy them too, totally oblivious!

In this case this person in particular stole a horse as they thought it was completely acceptable to do so, the owner then had to go through a solicitor as the police palmed it off as a civil dispute. They are a "business owner/horse dealer" so their business could easily suffer if people found out.

Some people think they are invincible, and so clever, but if the name and shame rule was allowed, there's would be thrown around like there's no tomorrow! :)

sjmcc

Visit site
I think there should be a name and shame its not fair when people get conned like my friend she bought a horse off someone who tradeing standards knew very well for there horses and puppy farming sadly she didnt and she had the horse pts two days after it came to her . no wonder they didnt want to stay for a cup of tea after they dropped it off and were in a rush all the little things you think of after . but they seem to have more rights than us we dare not to open our mouths about them . if we could it would save someone a lot of money and heart ache but heyho the laws the law

blackbeauty86

Visit site
I think there should be a name and shame its not fair when people get conned like my friend she bought a horse off someone who tradeing standards knew very well for there horses and puppy farming sadly she didnt and she had the horse pts two days after it came to her . no wonder they didnt want to stay for a cup of tea after they dropped it off and were in a rush all the little things you think of after . but they seem to have more rights than us we dare not to open our mouths about them . if we could it would save someone a lot of money and heart ache but heyho the laws the law

Gosh that is awful :( I honestly don't know how these people can sleep at night. From one, what seems small action, they can destroy someones life.

They all seem to thick skinned and cold hearted!

The law is the law and it seems to be protecting the "bad guys" unfortunately.

Lotty

Visit site
So sorry for you lotty.
You are in the same problem as us, if it had been spoken about, you would of known not to go with them!

The thing was that after buying the said pony, four people came to me and said that they had the same or worse happen to them......if only they had spoken earlier
sigh.gif

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I wish my two boys who have both been badly treated by humans to some degree or other could name and shame.

benson21

Visit site
You can't publicly name and shame but private pm's ?

Thing is, most of the posts on here that come on asking if anyone has bought a horse from these people we were done by, are new posters. I always worry that its the actual dealer trying to find out if anything is going on with the problems many of us have had, so I hold back on contacting them.

Luci07

Visit site
Thing is, most of the posts on here that come on asking if anyone has bought a horse from these people we were done by, are new posters. I always worry that its the actual dealer trying to find out if anything is going on with the problems many of us have had, so I hold back on contacting them.

I don't and will happily share my experiences. I have also put up a question on another dealer and was completely and emphatically warned off by 3 seperate people.

However, the problem with naming and shaming is you just know that someone is going to be completely vilified unfairly - you only need to see how some of these threads deterioate into a complete farce to know this would be the case.

However, what on earth is the point of trading standards if they KNOW the "goods" are not being sold as fit for purpose?

Rayado05

Visit site
Would it not be prudent for a buyer to contact Trading Standards prior to a dealer visit?

I guess the job then would be to educate the buyers into doing this.

Private sellers can be as dodgey and even worse is the ones who seem to advertise privately and are actually dealers.

It amazes me that despite one I was aware of had been successfully prosecuted for several things seems to be happily trading away.

Amazing really, the sheer bare face confidence to carry on alone is astounding.

Bigginge

Visit site
Trading standards is all well and good (or not!) for dealers but what about private sellers I have three 'aquaintances' who have sold their horses and hidden the truth, exaggerated or outright lied in their adverts, and sold their horses with vastly inflated prices. Caveat Emptor and all that but one person is a repeat offender and each time I see another of her adverts I feel so bad but waht can you do?

blackbeauty86

Visit site
I agree, everyone has their own opinions too. I also think private sellers can be worse than dealers as they don't have a reputation to hold so feel they can tell more lies and ask higher prices as the buyers are wooed into the thought that private sellers "know the horse better" or their "full history is known". But you never know what to believe these days! Feels like you can't trust anyone.

The reason behind my post of naming and shaming was a story I heard from a friend that a young girls horse was stolen from her by a dealer. He claimed the horse was his and that she owed him money, which turned out to be untrue but because of this the police treat it as a civil matter, which meant she had to go down the route of solicitors to get her own horse back!!

I just find it shocking that people have the front to do such a thing, but even more shocking that he actually (kind of) got away with it :mad:

I can only imagine how this poor girl was feeling. Which is why, in this case, naming and shaming would be a total blessing so they can get what they deserve! :D

sjmcc

Visit site
I agree, everyone has their own opinions too. I also think private sellers can be worse than dealers as they don't have a reputation to hold so feel they can tell more lies and ask higher prices as the buyers are wooed into the thought that private sellers "know the horse better" or their "full history is known". But you never know what to believe these days! Feels like you can't trust anyone.

The reason behind my post of naming and shaming was a story I heard from a friend that a young girls horse was stolen from her by a dealer. He claimed the horse was his and that she owed him money, which turned out to be untrue but because of this the police treat it as a civil matter, which meant she had to go down the route of solicitors to get her own horse back!!

I just find it shocking that people have the front to do such a thing, but even more shocking that he actually (kind of) got away with it :mad:

I can only imagine how this poor girl was feeling. Which is why, in this case, naming and shaming would be a total blessing so they can get what they deserve! :D
funny you should put this about this poor young girl but these storys are becomeing common they seem to know the police wont get involved and they could have the horse sold by the time solicitors get involved . to be honest and it sounds a bit snobish but i tend to stay clear of people like that . but god help who ever opend my stable door or field gate and walked off with myn and tried to make a claim on him beleive me there would be that much trouble at there front door theyd soon hand him back

blackbeauty86

Visit site
funny you should put this about this poor young girl but these storys are becomeing common they seem to know the police wont get involved and they could have the horse sold by the time solicitors get involved . to be honest and it sounds a bit snobish but i tend to stay clear of people like that . but god help who ever opend my stable door or field gate and walked off with myn and tried to make a claim on him beleive me there would be that much trouble at there front door theyd soon hand him back

I know its awful. I don't want to go into full details, as it isn't my place to say but I am a friend. I know the horse was threatened to just "disappear".

You're right about knowing what they can and can't do with regards to the law. From what I've learnt with this story is, it seems to protect the "bad guys" more than the innocent.

I think my actions would be along the same lines as yours!! But then that would make us just as bad as them :rolleyes:

Frumpoon

Visit site
We could start maybe by stating which area of the country we have had our problems in?

So people in those areas could then PM and be warned?

blackbeauty86

Visit site
We could start maybe by stating which area of the country we have had our problems in?

So people in those areas could then PM and be warned?

Yes that would be a good idea, we could post stating something like....Beware of this dealer/vet/person etc in the such and such area, then all people related to that area can PM for further details. No rule breaking, but people will have a pre-warning and hopefully help stop all the heartache and hopefully start to fight back against the bad guys.

sjmcc

Visit site
I know its awful. I don't want to go into full details, as it isn't my place to say but I am a friend. I know the horse was threatened to just "disappear".

You're right about knowing what they can and can't do with regards to the law. From what I've learnt with this story is, it seems to protect the "bad guys" more than the innocent.

I think my actions would be along the same lines as yours!! But then that would make us just as bad as them :rolleyes:
ahhh but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire lie down and take it and your just another victim haha sledge hammer at the door with oh and father uncles and brothers would work a treat hehe the law doest protect you we are just every day people working for a liveing and paying bills no one should steal from you