Door banging.... how do you stop it??

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I worked for a bloke once, we had a door banger, he ran a strip of electric fencing across the fron of the stable about 6 inches away from the door.. colt stopped banging.

Shutterbug

Visit site
I have a horse next door to my youngster who kicks and it drove me nuts - I took a run at his door and booted it every time he kicked and he stopped after a few days - now he never kicks, well not where Im there anyway. Probably not a good solution for a horse on box rest though cause they do tend to dart to the back of their stable when you kick the door. My friend ties an old treat ball to the other side of the door from the top of the door and everytime he kicked the ball bounced as if someone was kicking at the other side - he soon stopped

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I have a horse next door to my youngster who kicks and it drove me nuts - I took a run at his door and booted it every time he kicked and he stopped after a few days - now he never kicks, well not where Im there anyway. Probably not a good solution for a horse on box rest though cause they do tend to dart to the back of their stable when you kick the door. My friend ties an old treat ball to the other side of the door from the top of the door and everytime he kicked the ball bounced as if someone was kicking at the other side - he soon stopped
I presume that you were the YO in that case and discussed it with the horses owner? If you were just a fellow livery yard user, then I find your treatment of another persons horse, which was none of your business, unnacceptable.
One of our youngsters started door banging while waiting for her tea, we ignored her until she gave up, at which point she was fed (she did have forage) She gave up after about three days when she discovered that it didn't get her the attention she wanted.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
OP

first one for my mare worked almost instantly she kicked it for the first time, this is one for my boy
IMG_28601_zps9bbqafla.jpg

IMG_28611_zps5r0hvugn.jpg

IMG_28621_zpsfchlo7l8.jpg

Brightbay

Visit site
We've one, he's more or less stopped since I've been encouraging people to ignore him when he bangs and go and make a fuss once the banging stops. He's a fairly quick learner thankfully

Well done. Most of them are quick learners when given the chance.

And you can be confident that nothing you did to stop the behaviour will result in the horse having negative associations with being stabled, with people approaching when in the stable, or with approaching or getting near the door to look out :)