Door kicker

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
A bloke I worked for once had a colt that kicked bad...he ran some electric fence along the inside front of the stable. Cured the colt in one night.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Such an irritating habit, we used to attach a carpet to the inside of the door and pad it out with straw to deaden the noise cheaply.
I think if I owner a proper door kicker though I’d go all out and buy a quit kick.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Take the door out of the equation. Put up a stall chain or rail and open the door. Then feed everything. No door means no door kicking. I open the door if my youngsters stable as soon as I get there, he’s never kicked the door but I don’t want him starting as there are plenty in the yard that do it.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I watched a family unknowingly train a horse to do this.
At my first livery there was a Highland pony who kicked the door. His owners gave him carrots every time he did it to shut him up.
My Percheron X used to lean on the door . She was a big lass and was a typical Percheron in that she preferred to go through things than round things.
I was told to try a water pistol and just to be sure I got myself a double barrelled pump action water gun and dedicated an afternoon to trying to solve the issue.
It did the trick.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Take the door out of the equation. Put up a stall chain or rail and open the door. Then feed everything. No door means no door kicking. I open the door if my youngsters stable as soon as I get there, he’s never kicked the door but I don’t want him starting as there are plenty in the yard that do it.
  1. Did not work with my gelding.
  2. I had a chain across the door and he lent so hard on chain he could reach the door.
  3. I moved on end of the stall chain along so diagonally further away but still did it shorter end
  4. I put electric fence across and I saw him on CCTV lift his front leg and come down flat on the tape and got it down
  5. I put slip rails on and he got (and still does when door open and slip rails on) his leg between the bars or with his knee and bangs the door
  6. I put 3 slip rails on (a pain to go in stable ) but then he started kicking the slip rail support
  7. I put hobbles on him (that worked for a long time)
  8. Then I got Quit kick BINGO !! It worked

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
  1. Did not work with my gelding.
  2. I had a chain across the door and he lent so hard on chain he could reach the door.
  3. I moved on end of the stall chain along so diagonally further away but still did it shorter end
  4. I put electric fence across and I saw him on CCTV lift his front leg and come down flat on the tape and got it down
  5. I put slip rails on and he got (and still does when door open and slip rails on) his leg between the bars or with his knee and bangs the door
  6. I put 3 slip rails on (a pain to go in stable ) but then he started kicking the slip rail support
  7. I put hobbles on him (that worked for a long time)
  8. Then I got Quit kick BINGO !! It worked

i don’t think you read my post correctly. How can a pony kick a door that’s OPEN? Go Go gadget legs ????

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
i don’t think you read my post correctly. How can a pony kick a door that’s OPEN? Go Go gadget legs ????

If he has slip rails on like my stable so, they kick the slip rails when the door is open, that is what the slip rails are for, you can have the door open and the slip rails across.

I did read it - you said he kicks the door at feed time. I said Quit Kick or slip rail - or a chain attached slightly back from the door so he cannot reach it
I have already explained what i did

! I had a chain across is door and he lashed out in front and got the door
2. he kicked the door between the clip rails

The only thing that worked is the chain and the Quit Kick

Callieann

Visit site
I have a mare that used to strike out badly at feeding time. It sounded like the stable door was being demolished. Solved it in a few days. I figured out that if she kicked out and then got feed as a reward she would do it all the more. So, when she started kicking, I walked away. When she stopped kicking I walked back to stable. Rinse and repeat. Every time I got to stable without any kicking she got reward (food). First time took about an hour and a half. By the 5 th day I could walk right up to stable with no kicking. It was worth every minute as I no longer have the problem

Merrymoles

Visit site
We put two large water buckets in front of my friend's horse's door at night and it definitely stops him. I move them in the morning before I feed and he bangs then but at least he's not waking the YO's little boy up. We had to do it at night as he gets a late feed (no teeth) and would bang for that.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
If he has slip rails on like my stable so, they kick the slip rails when the door is open, that is what the slip rails are for, you can have the door open and the slip rails across.

I did read it - you said he kicks the door at feed time. I said Quit Kick or slip rail - or a chain attached slightly back from the door so he cannot reach it
I have already explained what i did

! I had a chain across is door and he lashed out in front and got the door
2. he kicked the door between the clip rails

The only thing that worked is the chain and the Quit Kick

I have never had slip rails that low. All of My rails have been chest height. The same height as my stall chain. So again how can they kick those or the door when it’s open.

My point was take the door out of the equation, if they break a chain then a slip rail and the door open. Here is my constant set up for my three year old Welsh D. Door is open from the moment I or my friend turns up and is closed when we leave. My rails are kept at chest height for the same purpose but aren’t as breakable.

257C64CA-256D-4EA9-9300-6554D857944F.jpegBEBEA477-CB05-4BDA-B616-27D0A9813030.jpeg

EnduroRider

Visit site
I appreciate it will not solve your problem now, but once fixed, or for those that do not have a door kicker... be the mean person like myself that doesn't have your horses fed with everyone else! I am the only person that feeds my horses, they have never been fed when everything else on the yard is and as such they don't expect it nor bang. Of course this is only an option if you are DIY.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Mine kicks the door and he just has a stall guard across it instead attached to 2 pieces of string, the door is never closed
He sort of paws at the air but sure that does no harm
He has no notion of trying to go anywhere so his isn't even closed at night time, but that would be an option. I'm not sure how a horse with just a chain or a stall guard COULD still kick the door if the door is open, that is confusing, but irrelevant really, you just open the door completely...