Dope getting less effective

Nari

Visit site
Or at least that's how it seems.

Horse has been on box rest for lami, then starting being ridden again but no turnout yet. I've been using acp, initially for his feet & then for our mutual sanity! The walk work had been going well, I'd reduced then cut out the acp & had been riding him with nothing for over a week & he'd been a saint. Then Tuesday he had a real broncing & hooley session, decking me big time & trashing a shoe in the process. I was very lucky to hobble away with bruises & pulled muscles - it could have been a lot worse.

I spoke to my ever patient farrier & it was agreed I could up his work & turn out for a few hours on a near-dirt patch - it's not ideal but then neither is me getting killed (that isn't as much of an exageration as it sounds!). Upping the work has to wait until I'm in a fit state to get back on though. I've gone back to putting some acp down him to turn out but it doesn't seem to have much effect now - do they get used to it? Watching him tart round a small patch bucking & leaping he certainly doesn't look even remotely sedated yet before this dose had him three quarters asleep! I was hoping the acp would make it safer to get back on this week but now I'm not so sure, I don't want to give a higher dose as the one of the few things worse than a hyper ID is a hyper ID that isn't entirely sure where his legs are :gasp:

Comments or ideas anyone? Lunging/long-reining/in hand work are no-go areas & I don't have a horse walker. People at the yard know him so I'm not going to find a gullible crash dummy!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Had a similar experience earlier in the year. Livery yard owner consulted vet who recommended Bromide. You have to be careful with dose as too much can be too much and stop eating (cue walking horse at midnight in a field to get him to eat something!)
Amounts were small. Definitely consult vet, but it worked with mine, and I could ride him on half a teaspoon, when more sane.

Nari

Visit site
I'm fairly certain my vet wouldn't give me anything like that for him ORANGEHORSE. He's had ulcers in the past, can be a picky eater & colics as a hobby (or at least that's what it feels like). She wouldn't even give antibiotics earlier this year for fear of upsetting his stomach! If he has another session like Tuesday's then I'll call her & ask - if I can still use a phone - but I suspect the answer will be a polite version of "deal with it".

Sam22

Visit site
They become resistant to ACP with time so you probably just need to increase the dose - check with your vet wh tthe most they are happy for you to give is.

Nari

Visit site
Thanks Sam. I know what the max dose they're happy for him to have is but I was reluctant to up his dose as before it made him rather wobbly & uncoordinated - not good for riding! Maybe, despite a fortnight off it, I'll have another go on a slightly higher dose.