Dope question!!

cobgirlie

Visit site
I've decided to bring one of my boys in for a few weeks because he's not eating properly out in the field,he's nosy and keeps hanging over the fences to talk to the other horses who are being turned out for a few hours!! (He's in love with on of the mares so gets scatty when she comes out to play!!!) So he keeps missing the hay and haylage being put out, he's dropped a small amount of weight..not enough to be hugely worried but as I have some time off work over Xmas I've decided to let him come in at night that way he can have a good few hours of scoffing and I won't mind him not eating while turned out!!!

Anyway my question is (I have never had stable kept horses...always have big strapping cobs who don't 'do' stables!!) how many bales of shavings will I need? He has a stable I use for when he's bought in for feeding or riding but I just keep it with 1 mat and 1 bag of shavings to lightly cover the floor. So do you think I can get away with adding 3 extra bags, and would this be enough for a week of being in at nights??

Sorry being a dunce!!:D

K27

Visit site
I suppose it depends on how big your stable is? how big your cob is? how deep do you like your beds to be? and if you like big banks? it's down to your preference really!

If you've not got rubber matting covering the whole floor, then you would need a fairly generous thickness of bed, if your stable is a minimum size at least of 12x 12 then I'm guessing for a deep bed and ample size banks at least 7-8 bales, maybe less for a smaller box and obviously more for a larger box. Probably more economical to put more in at first than a smaller amount I always think.

As long as the horse has a comfortable bed to cushion them when lying down/rolling and that it's dry to stand on then that is the main thing!

cobgirlie

Visit site
Lol!! Yes might help!! He's a 15hh heavy cob, stables are generous I'd say 15ft x 15ft but I tend to bed along one side only not the whole floor. I keep the door and hay area clear. Sounds like it might be more expensive than I thought?