Dopiest question ever about travelling a horse

paddi22

Visit site
Really thick question, but just got a full length breastbars for my ifor williams 505. One of the horses is a 14.2 a mare who always manages to untie herself, and i have a feeling she will turn herself round in box during travel. Is this really dodgy if it happens?? or can they travel backwards ok?? am i safer leaving the partitions in with her? sorry for the thick questions, just always used partitions before!

Ideally i just want them to be as comfy as possible travelling, so if it was a case she turned around, do i need to get a bar or anything fixed across the gap at top of back ramp?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
They actually travel better backwards and if left loose will always do so. I would take the partitions out, and get a trailer quick release tie on both sides - crosstie in other words.

PorkChop

Visit site
Definitely ok to travel backwards however I would be worried about her getting trapped under the bar.

So I would personally make sure that she was securely tied up, with partitions.

jumping.jack_flash

Visit site
I would be very concerned. So the response is, yes, this is dodgy for a trailer, as nothing stopping them from trying to jump out! . . .

Traveling backwards is aligned to horse boxes, which are designed for this purpose.

I hope this answers the question for you. = ]

paddi22

Visit site
would it be an option to cross tie her facing backwards? trying to think if the box has fitting that could used to do so?

be positive

Visit site
would it be an option to cross tie her facing backwards? trying to think if the box has fitting that could used to do so?

A trailer is built to be balanced with the horse facing forwards, it will probably be ok but far better to cross tie and get her accepting that she cannot untie herself so she is safe and secure.

paddi22

Visit site
cool, cheers everyone! cross tie front it is so.

out of curiosity, i've another big horse that literally SITS on the backbar and spreads his feet each side. He's a super traveller and doesn;t ever move. Would a horse like that usually be happier with a partition since they have perfected their travelling technique?!

Also a friend today said she leaves her front partition in, and just removes the back one and uses the full width bar there. Are there some horses that like the security of the front partition?

Sorry for the avalanche of dumb questions, its a whole new world of breastbars for me!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I never travel a single horse with the partition in. They need as much space as they can to balance across the motion. Some horses panic if they cannot spread their legs and I prefer to let them shift about to find the place they feel happiest in if I can.

paddi22

Visit site
A trailer is built to be balanced with the horse facing forwards, it will probably be ok but far better to cross tie and get her accepting that she cannot untie herself so she is safe and secure.

ah never knew that! we have a few dealers near us and you often see heads poking out the back. But that completely makes sense

pennyturner

Visit site
It is normal to travel young stock away from the sales loose in a trailer, with no partition, or even without a breast bar (depending on the height of the pony, this might be safer) but you will not be allowed to do so unless you have properly secured rear top doors, as there is a very real risk of the jumping out - even diddy little 12hh foals have a hell of a jump on them if they panic.

You can't tie them, as they're not halter-broken - they're just chased up a chute into the back, and the door shut up sharpish. What happens at the other end is your problem!

Equi

Visit site
The front of a trailer and hitch is not designed to hold the full weight of a horse so if your horse went backwards and put her bum up against the front of the trailer it might be an issue.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You can prevent her from untying herself by using plastic covered racking chains, one end has a spring clip and the other a quick release snap catch. They are cheap and very useful on lorries and trailers.

rara007

Visit site
Cross tie :) With those quick release clips if she unties herself. With a haynet both sides so she can angle herself as she finds comfiest :)

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
The idea is you place the breastbars where they can brace against them but not box them in. One of our horses will literally sit on the rear bar for support. The other will use the front bar...
One of them will travel better with a partition to brace against and the other one will freak out with the partition in place...it really depends on your horse...

Our Irish Sport horse travels without the partition and just splays his legs out. He goes mental if you try to enclose him....

But we always always tie them at the front. As others have said if your travelling without a partition you crosstie them..that is you tie them via both sides of the box but not too tight so they can still move about but not turn around...

Llewellyn

Visit site
I've known several horses who have not liked having space while travelling as they brace themselves. Although a couple of these have also struggled with 'half partitions' where the bottom bit is flappy as their legs slip underneath. I think it is a trial and error for each horse. Maybe take a backseat passenger to observe which make up the horse is most steady or cctv if you're that tech'ed up.

D66

Visit site
When you cross tie have the rope long enough to allow the horse to lower its head to balance. I found it easiest to have dedicated ropes left in the trailer at the correct length ready to clip on to the headcollar.

Orangehorse

Visit site
When you cross tie have the rope long enough to allow the horse to lower its head to balance. I found it easiest to have dedicated ropes left in the trailer at the correct length ready to clip on to the headcollar.

Yes, agree. Good idea. I used to travel one without a partition and she would always be standing diagonally across the trailer.