Dormosedan Gel verses intravenous sedative

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It didn't work enough for the late CF.
Could only use IV for clipping and even then the vet had to top up if only 1person clipping as IV would last about 25 mins before we had a drunken elephant charge. .....

eggs

Visit site
I use the gel for one of my horses who fidgets otherwise for the dentist. Give it about 45 minutes before it is his turn - do make sure it goes under the tongue and not down the throat. Works as well as IV sedation for him.

Micropony

Visit site
It's good stuff. As Eggs says, it needs to go under the tongue rather than being swallowed. Much more convenient (and cheaper) than IV sedation, I would say it's definitely worth a try.

ihatework

Visit site
Definitely worth trying - but getting it under the tongue rather than swallowed it critical.

I use it on my exceptionally clipper phobic horse. If I get my timings right then it gives me 20-30 minutes of safe clipping time to get a chaser done. She is the horse that needs topping up IV 2-3 times to get a full clip off.

The only thing I would say (and this is just me repeating something rather than actually knowing) is that when you IV sedate the combination used can help inhibit a kick reflex, whereas the straight domosedan gel doesn't do that - to which I can attest!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The only thing I would say (and this is just me repeating something rather than actually knowing) is that when you IV sedate the combination used can help inhibit a kick reflex, whereas the straight domosedan gel doesn't do that - to which I can attest!

Can confirm that the IV sedation does not inhibit kick reflex after seeing a clipping phobic horse accurately cow kick the clippers out of the persons hand with a a well aimed back foot. Vet was there and had given as much as he dared.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Has worked well for my girl for a couple of years but she's started resisting it and will not allow one leg to be clipped even at the height of its effects. YO who clips her said we would have to go IV from now on as it was becoming a battle.

I can't afford to IV her as regularly as she needs clipping so we've had to compromise and grow her legs back. She'll let us take everything off except ears and legs without any sedation at all. What a pain in the butt!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I used it and swore by it for my old horse last year who went mental when being shod. It was truly amazing stuff and easily as good as IV seds. On a different level than ACP and Sedalin.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think it works well but it's my experience that it takes longer than they say to get to it strongest effect .
We use it on Tatts and give it an hour before what we want to do .

BlackRider

Visit site
I've not tried it as sedalin doesn't have any effect, so wasn't sure if this would.

When he's done with IV he has to have twice the normal dose for a horse of his size, and I can also safely say IV sedation does not prevent kicking!

Britestar

Visit site
Another who will say its good stuff.

Under the tongue is essential or it will not work. Mine takes a good 45 mins to take effect. I use for clipping and for is he needs to see the vet.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I've not tried it as sedalin doesn't have any effect, so wasn't sure if this would.

When he's done with IV he has to have twice the normal dose for a horse of his size, and I can also safely say IV sedation does not prevent kicking!

Sedalin didn't touch the sides on mine but this had an impressive effect.

marotelle

Visit site
I am another who finds it works far, far better than Sedalin,I use it on the youngsters who are a little shy with the ferrier or are difficult to transport, getting it Under the tongue can be tricky but I found that smearing the Jelly on the gums ,can be just as effective as they are obliged to lick the paste off with their tongue so it is not swallowed directly in to their stomachs, if that makes sense ....anyway it seems to work for me.

{97702}

Visit site
As others have said, far far better than Sedalin (which has been next to useless every single time I've used it) but not as good as IV in my opinion. Domosedan worked a treat on my sedative-resistant TB (he had to have enough to knock an elephant out when he had a tooth removed apparently!) but I tried it on my 'sports cob' and it really didn't work at all, which I found really odd. I've used it quite a few times so was careful to get in under his tongue etc, but still not nearly as effective as I'd expected :(

millitiger

Visit site
It's very good, sedalin doesn't compare.

I used it on a v.needle shy horse, took about an hour to really kick in but when it did, was as good as IV dope