Dorsal Stripes

Fransurrey

Visit site
For some reason I've been thinking more about Henry's dorsal stripe, lately (only had him 9yrs, lol). I know that he isn't 100% exmoor, but as far as I know he did come from a moor background, being bought as a 2yr old colt at the sales. One thing that sticks out with him is his dorsal stripe. I mentioned to a passing walker once that I feel he has NF in him and she agreed, citing his dorsal stripe as evidence.

Now, what I know about breeding (and dorsal stripes for that matter) can be written on a stamp. I've only ever seen them on duns. Henry looks like any other exmoor, with mealy muzzle and eyes/ears to die for.

Any thoughts? Is it possible that a NF stally was out on exmoor? Does Henry have a dun in his parentage? Do I need to get out more?!?
smirk.gif
Here is a gratuitous shot of the little darling, showing just why he charms all the ladies...
grin.gif

MAY05022.jpg

Shazzababs

Visit site
I don't know about Exmoor's but they did introduce Sheltands to Dartmoor for a while to try to 'improve' the breed for a few years in the 60's\70's\80's (can't remember exactly when). So its quite likely they could have done similar with NF and Exmoor at around the same time.

We had a Highland with a dorsal stripe, she was Dun too. Our NF\Welsh cross doesn't have one, she is bay.

china

Visit site
i had a bay newforest with a dorsel strip, her was full NF, i have seen a few exmoors with them to.

scrat

Visit site
We have a two year old New Forest x cob that started off iron grey but now seems to have black points and a definate dorsal stripe. His sire was bay and his mum grey so I don't know where the stripe came from.

D

Donkeymad

He is handsome - no wonder he charms all the ladies
grin.gif

haycroft

Visit site
horses/ponies with dorsel stripes are they classed as duns..eg fox dun,bay dun...or do you say my pony xy breed with a dorsel stripe
sorry if i havent worded this right
i get really confused with dorsel stripes and the dun colour

hellybelly6

Visit site
He is gorgeous!

Any dark colour can have a dorsal stripe, such as duns or chestnut or bays etc. Greys do not tend to have a dorsal stripe in highlands.

All the native ponies in the UK, go back millions of years and I know that Highlands have dorsal stripes and some even zebra stripes on their legs, Exmoors also have a dorsal stripe. A dorsal stripe can be a sign of ancient lineage I believe. I have seen NFs with dorsal stripes during the time I lived near there.

I think they are very distinguished!

lhotse

Visit site
As far as I know, only pure exmoor ponies are allowed to run on the moor, so I would imagine that if he was bred on the moor, he is pure exmoor. If he was a moor pony, he will have a brand mark. A dorsal stripe is not a sign of dun parentage either, my chestnut has a faint dorsal stripe and certainly has no dun in her breeding.

Fransurrey

Visit site
He's not branded, but as far as I know, they 'reject' ponies with any white markings. He has a star on his forehead and one white sole (although the hoof itself is black). I can only go off what the guy who bought him from the sales told us (he belonged to a friend before me).

lhotse, I thought Exmoor was common land, so any commoner could graze there? I've certainly come across non-branded exmoors before, on account of their dubious parentage/incorrect markings.

Never come across dorsal stripes on anything other than a dun, before, so good to know that they occur elsewhere and that he isn't part donkey.
grin.gif
Such a shame he was gelded, actually, as although is probably isn't pure, he's a fantastic pony!