Double bridle advice and rec's

Batgirl

Visit site
Hi guys,

Am I wrong to think I can use a drop noseband with a double bridle? I took me a long while for Arnie to find a noseband he is happy in and I would love to keep him as comfy as possible when going up the grades.

Also any recommendations for a single head piece bridle? (i.e. not a sliphead) (not too worried about the noseband as I won't find one that comes with a drop)

x

Happy Christmas and New Year!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
A double isn't designed to be used with a drop, a grackle or a flash even though you will see people tacked up with them all.

There should be nothing in the curb groove other than the curb chain and lip strap. Cavesson on a double fitted just below the cheek bone and not done up tightly.

Batgirl

Visit site
OK then, that totally makes total sense Alice thanks.
Amended request then, single head piece, cavesson without crank that would suit the big ginge in my signature :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You will struggle to buy off the peg I think. Remember you have a slip head and noseband headpiece to incorporate into a single headpiece. I have never seen a double made how you want, but I only look at hunter bridles rather than dressage doubles.

A dressage diva might be along just now and point you in the right direction.

Sol

Visit site
Somewhere like Wolds Exclusive Bling might do the single headpiece, I suspect CK Equine could make one if they don't already as they have said that they can make me a bridle that has a noseband that can be changed to a scawbrig from a crank so I can also use it bitless. :)

Tnavas

Visit site
A double isn't designed to be used with a drop, a grackle or a flash even though you will see people tacked up with them all.

There should be nothing in the curb groove other than the curb chain and lip strap. Cavesson on a double fitted just below the cheek bone and not done up tightly.

Totally agree, only the curb chain in the chin groove.

A double has to have a headpiece that the cheek pieces for the curb are attached to. Then you have the slip head, which buckles up on the off side for the Bridoon. It lies behind the headpiece of the noseband.

Sol

Visit site
I have a FSS double if you'd like a better pic of the headpiece. It's not what I'd call an all in 1, but both the sliphead & noseband have slots to go through so they go over the top of the headpiece. It is quite nice & sits well, it's sort of what you'd expect for the price :) They are nice soft leather.

Batgirl

Visit site
Thanks Sol but it was the all in one piece I was wanting :( I have only seen a few but never in XFull. I wouldn't even mind one without the throat lash but I may have to settle for one that threads both over the top. I am in no rush won't NEED one until the end of the year :)

sackospuds

Visit site
Sol, you and I must have different types of fss bridle, I have the patent hunter double bridle, for my dressage sports cob, and it is definitely a single headpiece, it has 4 straps coming out of each side of the padding (1 pair on top of the other)

catkin

Visit site
Have you got a traditional saddler/harness maker near you? If so go and see them and discuss what you want, then get it made-to-measure. I've had bridles made by someone local to me (other end of the country to you sadly) and she came up with a fabulous design that can be used as snaffle or double or can change out the noseband completely all for a sum equivalent to the branded versions of a similar high quality. As each piece is individually measured for the individal horse there's no worries about browbands not being wide enough or headpieces lying wrong etc.

khalswitz

Visit site
I also have an FSS double (although riding in at as a snaffle right now for Geoff). Good quality, lasts well, my noseband is a crank by they do different kinds, and is one headpiece. Mine was less than £100 incl two sets of reins and a patent noseband, although that was three or four years ago.

Sol

Visit site
Sol, you and I must have different types of fss bridle, I have the patent hunter double bridle, for my dressage sports cob, and it is definitely a single headpiece, it has 4 straps coming out of each side of the padding (1 pair on top of the other)

Must be! I've had a few FSS bridles now & they've all been like the one I have now, like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSS-Paten...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item56586831c3 (nearly got this one for my baby po) so not the stitched in type. I don't mind this but stitched is probably neater :)