Double bridle bit size & fitting - help please?

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
I'm looking to start my boy in a double bridle but I'm having some trouble fitting it and I think it is due to the bit sizes.

His snaffle is a Neue Schule Verbindend in 6.25". This size because he came to me in a 6" and they say to go up 0.25" for the Verbindend. Here is what it looks like:

image-1.jpg

image-3.jpg

I did ask some advice of the NS lady at Hickstead the other week and it seems like from what she said this is too big, but I would worry it would pinch if I were to get a smaller one?

For the double, I tried the above bit but it didn't sit well with a weymouth. So I tried borrowing a 5.75" NS (either the Tranz Angled Lozenge or Starter) to see how that would sit, this is in the photos below. The weymouth is a 5.5" Hilary Vernon one.

image-2.jpg

image.jpg

Normally I think they say go 0.25" or 0.5" down for a weymouth from the bridoon? But as you see the 5.5" weymouth looks rather big even though I'd say the 5.75" bridoon is likely to pinch?

So any thoughts on the above? I am inclined to try a 6" Verbindend bridoon with a 5.25" weymouth but that seems a bit of a mad difference?! Also I think the weymouth is sitting a bit high but for now I'd just like to get the bit sizes right and then worry about fitting.

Perhaps it is to do with the measurement of the weymouth I have tried here - I measured from where the flat part of the mouthpiece begins, rather than the arms, IYSWIM - this is obviously how they measure too as that is the size it was sold to me as. If you were to measure arm to arm it is more like 5.75". To add to the confusion I will probably try the NS Warmblood Weymouth http://nsbits.com/product/dressage-warmblood/ which looks like it will seem a bit narrower compared to the above Hilary Vernon one due to the join between the arm and the mouthpiece being a bit less sloping. So maybe a 5.5" in the NS will seem a bit smaller?

And here is the rest of the horse attached to the nose you see above :D

10155350_692426577467438_386177482_n1.jpg

castella

Visit site
From looking at those pics I would say go up at least a 1/4 inch minimum on the snaffle and down about 1/2 inch on the weymouth, you can tell I've just been fitting one on my mare with lots of help from more knowledgable friends on the yard !!!

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
From looking at those pics I would say go up at least a 1/4 inch minimum on the snaffle and down about 1/2 inch on the weymouth, you can tell I've just been fitting one on my mare with lots of help from more knowledgable friends on the yard !!!

Thank you Castella! Unfortunately my yard mates weren't able to help so I wanted to get sorted with bits and then ask trainer to help me.

So from what you say I'll be looking at a 6" or 6.25" bridoon and then a 5.25" or 5" weymouth - but doesn't it seem a bit mad to have a 1" difference?!

Tnavas

Visit site
What I usually do for fitting a double is to first find out the holes the bridoon needs to be on - place bit in the mouth and adjust as normal - certainly not as many wrinkles as you have - one or maybe two - yours looks like it has three - must be very hard to get on!

Then fit the curb by fitting it without the bridoon attached - fit so that the mouth piece just meets the corners of the mouth. - No wrinkles for a curb.

Then assemble the whole bridle remembering to fit the cheek piece of the bridoon on the off side.

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
What I usually do for fitting a double is to first find out the holes the bridoon needs to be on - place bit in the mouth and adjust as normal - certainly not as many wrinkles as you have - one or maybe two - yours looks like it has three - must be very hard to get on!

Then fit the curb by fitting it without the bridoon attached - fit so that the mouth piece just meets the corners of the mouth. - No wrinkles for a curb.

Then assemble the whole bridle remembering to fit the cheek piece of the bridoon on the off side.

Ah that's interesting, thanks, will give it a go! Yes the bridoon is quite high, I'll try adjusting your way and see what I end up with!

castella

Visit site
So from what you say I'll be looking at a 6" or 6.25" bridoon and then a 5.25" or 5" weymouth - but doesn't it seem a bit mad to have a 1" difference?!

That does seem a bit crazy as mine are the same size (both 5") and I think you normally only go down a half or quarter inch to the weymouth, hope you get it sorted :)