Double Bridle Reins

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Instructor suggested a double for H a few weeks ago and I have been borrowing a friends. We are both much happier in it, but I really struggle with the reins. Bridle has 2 sets of very narrow leather reins (1/4" ish) on and I find them really hard to keep hold of and my hands were aching by the end of my lesson. I tried switching one rein to my rubber reins from other bridle, but it didn't help, though maybe it was the combination of chunky rubber and very narrow? I am not blessed with long slender fingers and often find rubber reins too chunky.

So what reins do you use on your doubles? I wondered about wider leather as when I hack the naughty one in draw reins which are a bit thicker they are fine, but this is with rubber normal reins.

Also I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy a double, but being awkward again my tack is Brown. Any suggestions? Don't have a massive budget £100 ish. She has a fairly fine head, but chunky neck

Any excuse so here is a head shot for inspiration, though her neck is more rhino like now! Many thanks

holly1_zpsa94dcc01.jpg

soulfull

Visit site
I use plaited and plain reins. has to be the soft supple plaited ones though. I guess about 1/2in wide

for the bridle try english bridles, a lot of people on here like their leather work as it is excellent quality without silly price tag

abercrombie&titch

Visit site
You could just buy a brown bradoon sliphead to make your 'normal' bridle into a double? Reins wise - I use plaited on the bradoon, a narrow plain on the curb. The Fylde saddlery have a good range of thicknesses of both slipheads and reins.

dianchi

Visit site

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Thanks for the suggestions. My current bridle is a comfort bridle and I don't think a slip head would work.

Clients horse I ride has plaited reins so I might borrow them (same yard).

Dianchi I actually SJ so doesn't need to have a certain "look" will be mostly for schooling at home. We have tried her in a variety of bits and nosebands and she is happiest in the double strange horse.

castella

Visit site
I just bought the most stunning rolled double bridle from hypostore as recommended on here, they do brown bridles too, really lovely quality and reasonable price.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. My current bridle is a comfort bridle and I don't think a slip head would work.

Clients horse I ride has plaited reins so I might borrow them (same yard).

Dianchi I actually SJ so doesn't need to have a certain "look" will be mostly for schooling at home. We have tried her in a variety of bits and nosebands and she is happiest in the double strange horse.

Just buy a pair of leather "normal" or continental reins for the bradoon and use one set of the narrower ones for the curb. A sliphead should work, it goes through the browband like the noseband head does. Why strange horse? Many horses prefer a curb action to the snaffle.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I like 1" wide continental or plaited reins, or 3/4" wide laced reins for the bradoon and 5/8" plain leather reins for the curb. If those look too chunky on the horse I'll use 5/8" laced reins for the bradoon and 5/8" half-rubber reins on the curb. Skinny reins don't work for me but full rubber reins are too chunky.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will dig around the tack room and try a selection tomorrow (went for a gallop today :) )

She is strange because she hates pole pressure of any kind. Even a hanging cheek will make her cross and you can't put the lunge line over her head to lunge either. But seems to love the double.

The hypostore bridles look lovely, but not sure about patent may be a step to far for me! Only the snaffle bridles are non patent no doubles