Double dressage report- the eventer infiltrates...

Lyle

Visit site
Well I'm back from a big weekend away with the grey child, so thought I might update those interested. :D Needless to say, it was a long, tiring weekend, although I'm pleased with our results, it just didn't quite go to plan..

As I'm not eventing this season, I'd entered myself and Cruze into the Prelim dressage classes for two competitions to be held consecutively at the National Equestrian Centre, a good opportunity I felt to gauge how we are going against strong competition. It was a huge rush for me to get organized, as a 9 o'clock test time on the Saturday forced me to make the decision to leave Friday night and spend the Friday night as well as Saturday night, at the NEC.

I had a hectic day on Friday, with work and then bolting around to collect ponio, we finally arrived just after 5, two hours after I had left home! As it was just before dark, I thought I'd take the opportunity to hop on and give him a settle in ride. Well, that turned out to be a BIG mistake! :confused: I wandered over to the warm-up area, a very vast sand arena, large enough to hold two SJing rings. There also happened to be two other lovely horses cantering circles with compass like precision. Already feeling a little out of my depth, this wasn't helped when Cruze decided that right then would be the perfect opportunity to practice his 'Wild Stallion of the Prairies' impersonation. Oh what a glorious sight we must have been to behold! There was rearing (quite a lot), spins, snorting and then an impressive Arab impersonation (complete with kinked tail) After 15 minutes of muttering *just* what I thought of him, he eventually settled enough to work (just a bit though!). Feeling slightly deflated, I packed him up for the night, wondering what tomorrow would bring...

I rolled out of bed on Saturday feeling quite fragile; I really hadn't slept well. I'm blaming a combination of rattling wind and a fridge that sounded like a lawn mower turning on most of the night. Cruze looked happy enough as I fed him and plaited up and tarted him up. I hopped on and avoiding the dreaded warm up, worked him instead on the multi-purpose area (a lovely grass area of about 4 acres- not a problem as there wasn't a horse in sight!) I felt like I had some semblance of my horse back, so headed to the rings with only some trepidation. Well, his little eyes nearly popped out when he saw the glorious display of smooth sand rings, white borders and gleaming warmbloods! To his credit, he didn't explode, he just lost all interest in me and my increasingly frantic attempts to catch his attention.

I won't go into detail about the test, on the whole it was sweet enough, just lacking the impulsion and connection needed to really score well. The centre line was abysmal, and the medium walk was practically going backwards, but the rest was ok. 63.405% and we finished in 7th place out of 25. A deserved score for such a test! I had a little break before my next test, so popped him away before hoping back on. I really geared him up before the test to get the engine running, and we had a little more impulsion. Again, he did a sweet test, just still lacking in concentration. I could feel him really wanting to look at everything so I was working pretty hard to get anything out of him! We did however, have more forward! So the final scores were 68.409% and 65%, to give a final score of 66.705% and 2nd place! So big pats for the pony :D

I'm happy to report I slept far better on Saturday night!

A bright, still day dawned and again I was up early to tart up the lad. My parents decided to come and view the days display. I put on my brave pants and decided Cruze could jolly well suck it up and warm up amongst the other horses today. Well, he didn't even bat an eye lid :rolleyes:. Most likely because he was too busy still gawking at everything else!! And so the pattern was repeated. A sweet first test, but lacking impulsion and elasticity. A score of 63.509% and 6th out of 23. Half hour wait for the second, so I continued to work him and really rev-up the forward aids. So off we went, down the centre line, halt, salute proceed to C and SPOOK! URGH! Great start buddy :p So the first circle was quite tense, but then he settled, and continued quite amicably. Final score of 61%, and 5th out of 23 :confused::confused: :eek:

So an interesting weekend, I'm rapt with the final placings, but the scores are a little deflating. We went out last weekend and got a 72% (in official too) when he did a test that was soft and listening. So I know the sod has it in him! He's just a typical TB that when he gets tight loses all swing and elasticity, so he was marked accordingly this weekend.

Anywhooo Pictures!

LuciWerribee083compressed.jpg

LuciWerribeecompressed.jpg

LuciWerribee053compressed.jpg

LuciWerribee039compressed.jpg
LuciWerribee034compressed.jpg

LuciWerribee025compressed.jpg

headshot.jpg

Tea and chocolate coconut slice for those who struggled to the end!

Also, Thank Heavens for the Auto-save response! I was adding the final photo when my internet chucked it in, and closed the page. :eek: Go H&H!

D

Deleted member 104317

Oooh, he looks rather lovely! Well done though, sounds like some good placings even if you were a little frustrated!

Lyle

Visit site
Thanks for the lovely comments everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time to read my report :) I'm of course very happy with how Cruze is progressing, even when he's not on song he can still finish in the top third, which is a big improvement :p 6 of the 7 seven judges had positive things to say, although one was a little cutting!

Ohhh the bridle number.... It's a slightly bizarre concept that my State branch of the EA is using. Every registered horse, that applies for a dressage performance card is also issued with a bridle number that is used at every dressage comp for that horses' lifetime! Handy in one sense, I have a separate set of numbers always made up that I stick on the bridle, but irritating as it's hard to find who you are meant to be following!!

Winlight

New User
Visit site
You both look very much like a dressage combination!
I wouldn't be too concerned with the scores, I saw the results from Werribee and thought that judging by the overall scores in each class, the judges were very tough.
I think it may be a VIC thing, look at NSW scores and their winners sit in the high 70s, yet the winners in VIC seem to just scrape the 70s.

Nicnac

Visit site
Great report - TB's amongst dumbloods always seem to have make their presence felt. Well done on placings and he's GORGEOUS!