Double-fastening brushing boots...

Patchwork

Visit site
The ones where you do up one velcro fastening and then there is another that folds back over it (not sure what they're properly called): how do you fasten them? On a single-fastening boot you would do up the velcro so that both straps were pointing backwards but with this type do you have the first strap pointing backwards and the top one forwards or vice versa - and why?
I know some people who always do it one way and some who always do it the other but I would be really interested to find out people's reasons - or is it just the way you've always done it/were taught?

Thanks!

smile.gif

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Hey,

i was always taught that the first set of straps should always go front to back. That way it didn't matter if you had two sets or one set on your boots... you always started the same way. I was taught to bandage front to back as well. Made it easy to remember!

Would be interested to hear what other think though so will watch this thread

Louby

Visit site
Hi, agree with Southwestwhippet although yard expert said I had put them on back to front! Ive got to admit she had me thinking. Dont know the reason why they are like this though.

Salcey

Visit site
I was always told to put the boot on so the first strap goes forwards and the second strap goes to the back as it would on a single strap boot. Thats what I've always done since I have always assumed the advice was right - but then again wouldn't be surprised if I spend the last 20 yrs doing it wrong
wink.gif

druid

Visit site
The outer layer should go front to back the reasoning being that if you ride through long grass/brush the straps won't be pulled open
smile.gif

ljubb

Visit site
A reason that single strap boots are meant to strap up from front to back is so that when you are jumping it your horse brushes through the top of a headge or similar the strap is less likely to get caught and come undone (i.e. out hunting). For double straps I have always applied the same thoughts so have had the top strap going front to back, however check that the cut of the boot is designed for this. Some of the cheaper brands are not always cut to allow for this and have to be used the other way.

If your boots are designed to have the top strap going from back to front and you are worried about the strap getting snagged and coming undone then tape them up too.

Jemayni

Visit site
I've always done my double boots so the 1st strap points back, beacuse I always thought you did this so you didn't oull on the tendons when you tightened them (same as bandages.) I checked this with the YO and my instructor when I first had them and they agreed

Jemayni

Visit site
Oh yea and when you look at the shape of the boot (the woof ones anyway) they are built to provide extra protection at the front whilst jumping etc so that must be on the front of the leg, so the bottom strap must point back when fastened

not_with_it

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've always done my double boots so the 1st strap points back, beacuse I always thought you did this so you didn't oull on the tendons when you tightened them (same as bandages.) I checked this with the YO and my instructor when I first had them and they agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this comment. I bought some woof boots and it said on the packet that they should be done up with the first strap facing forward.

When I was at college they taught us to do it the other way so I looked at the shape of the boots and compared them to a pair with 1 stap. It worked out that the top strap should face forwards.

RachelB

Visit site
I was always taught to put them on with the underlying straps facing backwards, especially if the straps are elastic, to prevent pulling the tendons. Like SWW I was taught only to bandage front to back for the very same reason, so I assumed it was the same with boots. However, reading through the H&H horse care archives I read a bit on brushing boots that said about hunting and boot straps being pulled undone - but can I safely assume that when this 'rule' was 'invented' that double strap boots weren't used? Or even velcro? So I always put them on front to back first.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I agree first straps back and 2nd straps forward but I have not found this to be true on shires boots and after several tryings on found it to be the other way!

barkinghorse

Visit site
My boots are Clarendons, so i don't think that i can put them on wrong, but here goes:
First strap facing forward, second strap (with the stripey elastic and metal clip) facing backwards
Hope i have not been wrong for all these years and no one told me!
blush.gif

Law

Visit site
This won't be much help but I can't ever remember but thankfully on the equilibre (?) trizone brushing boots it's stiched into the boot telling you which way you are meant to do them up!! I spent ages trying to work it out and asking round the yard and when i finally undid them to put them on, it was there is black and white!! alovely stiched label!