Double-Netting Hay

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Does anybody double-net hay with two small-holed nets? Does that work or maybe I should start with a small-holed net inside a normal net?

Just pondering really as our dinky ponies have weighed, well-soaked hay in the Shires nets with small holes but I don’t feel it is lasting them long enough into the night. They do live out but the paddock is almost bare of grass (which is a good thing for us generally) and I really don’t want them going too long without something to munch.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thank you. Those nets do look good! We have tried Top Chop Zero before and they weren’t into it but I guess they’d eat it if really hungry or I could try Top Chop Lite. I’ve just remember vet is coming out Monday for a check-up so will check with them.

Casey76

Visit site
We’re up to triple netted small holes. T is *very* efficient at eating out of nets ?

And we’re about to move to double nets with a muzzle, to see if that makes a difference.

Casey76

Visit site
Goodness that is hard core! T must be very determined :)
She has a nose whiffle/twist/lip up down to a fine art, and can empty a Greedy Feeder net in extremely short order. When stabled (though she hasn’t been in a stable for a couple of years now), she will eat netted hay before loose hay on the floor ?

Unfortunately she has EMS, and is an air fern, so extreme methods need to be implemented. She actually gained weight being on a grass-free track 24/7 with 2-3 long hacks a week, because she had free access to netted hay.

Fortunately she is now losing weight after strict new exercise and hay regimes were implemented. And having heavily netted hay means that she has constant access, just not ad lib :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
getting a ring put in so the hay nets are free hanging ( as in not against the wall ) and quite high , it also mimics browsing behaviour and Some recent have shown this is good for the back and neck .
I give forage on the floor at mid height and high and free swinging when the horses are stabled a lot .

Casey76

Visit site
I'm sorry but that's vile. What a frustrating existence for the poor animal.

I’m sure it isn’t perfect, but when your horse is sick (T has EMS and is currently overweight), you have to do what you can.

She eats her full allotment of hay throughout the course of the day, rather than eating it in a couple of hours then has nothing to eat for the remainder of the day, risking ulcers etc.

Melandmary

Visit site
I am triple netting my mares shires small holed nets at the moment.... It's the only way to make her rations last while she is on boxrest for lami. Even her top chop zero is hoovered up bless her. She still manages to get it all out. I do worry about her teeth and neck but it is a temporary measure till she can go back out. She has lost about 30kg and 3 weeks

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
This is all great info! Thanks so much! The nets currently hang from safe tie-ring things outside their shelter. They are lowish so that they don’t have to reach up at all, but not on the floor, but because the wall is behind them it makes it easier for them to eat... free-hanging would slow them down for sure.

I think we’ll try double-netting and see how we go!

Patch55

Visit site
I did try double netting small holed haynets for my lad, but actually he got so frustrated with trying to eat it, he gave up. He went for longer periods without hay due to not eating what was in front of him, than just using a small hole.

sherry90

Visit site
You can request nibbleze nets in double netted type. I tried them but my boy just couldn’t get to grips with them. Usual nibbleze were fine but he made holes in it quite easy and the Trickle net is too tough and I found wore his teeth. He now has Shires greedy feeders - they are relatively cheap compared to the others mentioned above so not as bad if I need to replace!

QuantockHills

Visit site
i triple net for my little laminitic and have it free hanging from the middle of the stable. he can still eat the whole net in just under 3 hours where as my 17hh horse makes his large single net last all night....

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I did try double netting small holed haynets for my lad, but actually he got so frustrated with trying to eat it, he gave up. He went for longer periods without hay due to not eating what was in front of him, than just using a small hole.

Thanks for your input. I have started double-netting the small-holed nets since getting some replies on this thread and one pony is more committed than the other, but the less interested one comes back and forth to it and is often munching from the net when I check. They do seem to struggle to get the last bit out though, but we are bumping up their amount slightly to offset this (and had the vet out yesterday).

You can request nibbleze nets in double netted type. I tried them but my boy just couldn’t get to grips with them. Usual nibbleze were fine but he made holes in it quite easy and the Trickle net is too tough and I found wore his teeth. He now has Shires greedy feeders - they are relatively cheap compared to the others mentioned above so not as bad if I need to replace!

I had looked at the Nibbleze ones but didn't realise you could request them like that, thanks! We are using the Shires ones at the moment and they seem to work well.

i triple net for my little laminitic and have it free hanging from the middle of the stable. he can still eat the whole net in just under 3 hours where as my 17hh horse makes his large single net last all night....

That's dedication for you! :p